Underrated N64 music

Wildfiremicro
Established Member
Wildfiremicro
Established Member

July 21st, 2016, 3:00 pm #1

What is the most underrated N64 music? Mine is the Mayan Temple music from Banjo Tootie. "Come and have a go, if you think your tough enough"
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w

bluedogrulez
Guardian

July 21st, 2016, 3:18 pm #2

I confess that to me, underrated music and underrated game might be synonymous. With that disclaimer, I nominate Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth. Pumps you up but also sets the mood and hits that space loneliness emotion, much as the Axelay soundtrack did. I guess Stage 1 is my favorite because it makes the game so darn inviting to me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Tyree_Cooper
Established Member
Tyree_Cooper
Established Member

July 21st, 2016, 3:22 pm #3

What about Castlevania? The music was kind of misunderstood, as it wasn't as catchy and "memorable" as what Konami had done before. But given the atmosphere of the game and its deep scenario (for a Castlevania game), I think it's rather underrated.

Underground Waterway (with Carrie) and Underground Tunnel (with Reinhardt) are very good! The game has different levels with different music, granted, not many, but still impressive.

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

July 22nd, 2016, 7:41 am #4

When talking about F-Zero's music, everyone is all about Mute City and Big Blue.

However, Devil's Call in Your Heart is where i turn my volume up!

Also, Edo Castle from the second Goemon game always pumped me up. Very grooving!

italia64
Veteran

July 22nd, 2016, 10:41 am #5

This topic can be very useful:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7459158/1/

I'm going to use this thread in order to add nice musics to my list ;-)

D.J Cat
Veteran

July 23rd, 2016, 2:08 pm #6

Wildfiremicro wrote:What is the most underrated N64 music? Mine is the Mayan Temple music from Banjo Tootie. "Come and have a go, if you think your tough enough"
I played all the way through Banjo-Tooie for the 3rd time in 2011 just because I heard that music and got the urge to play.

There are SO many! I don't know where to start.
Wave Race had some excellent ones.
Starfox 64/Lylat Wars had plenty.
And then there is the International Superstar Soccer menu music! ?

stinger9142
Guardian

July 23rd, 2016, 2:38 pm #7

I am not super sure where to draw the line on what is underrated or not, but the N64 has some excellent music.

Extreme G always got me pumped up. Top Gear Rally was amazing. Rush 2 is another good one. I have mp3s from several N64 games on my PSP.

Tyree_Cooper
Established Member
Tyree_Cooper
Established Member

July 24th, 2016, 2:44 am #8

Yes, Extreme-G, Extreme-G 2 and Top Gear Rally are in my top list.

Besides, Top Gear Rally has 2 menu songs. A 'slow and sad' one for the US release and a much more 'eurodance' one for the Japanese and PAL release. I have never understood why they thought it would be a good idea to change? And I suppose the "original" song is the US one, as the game was developed in the US (not sure)?

Top Gear Rally - US menu song

Top Gear Rally - JPN/PAL menu song

The game is amazing, I love the handling. It just needed more tracks! Which menu song is your favourite? I'm with the JPN/PAL one. :yeah:

And while I'm on it, see some rendering of what they told us the game would look like. Cars are floating on the ground on a very pre-programmed path. Hilarious!

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

August 4th, 2016, 8:10 am #9

Vaettur wrote:
Also, Edo Castle from the second Goemon game always pumped me up. Very grooving!
Goemon's Great Adventure is just underrated in general. The theme I always get stuck in my head is Favor, which is the one that plays when you do some of the finding things mini games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-JxMo2HQxo
But the entire soundtrack for the game is fantastic.

Disco_Stu

August 4th, 2016, 12:03 pm #10

I totally love the Buck Bumble theme:

But there are tons of games with great soundtracks on the N64

Stu