Turok

stinger9142
Guardian

March 1st, 2011, 11:25 pm #1

Alright everyone, it is time to play some Turok! Congratulations to alxbly for his nomination winning the vote off. I really hope we get more participation this month. I think we only had 3 people actually play Shadow Man :( Anyhow, At your all convenience, give Turok a try this month. Then share your thoughts. I will likely begin playing some tonight :D

alxbly
Elite

March 2nd, 2011, 1:18 am #2

It's been a long time....

Turok was one of the games that I missed first time around on the N64... probably because I didn't have the N64 at launch. I remember waiting outside a store on the day Turok 2 was released, mega-excited because it looked like it could be the N64's "Doom" (and yeah I had played Doom 64, enjoyed it but ultimately felt let down by the obviously flat, 2D enemies). And I really enjoyed Turok 2... so I really should have looked into the first game.

Anyway, this will be my first real play of the game. I think I've played the first level before but the precision jumps and terrible fog put me off. If I can get past that I'm pretty sure there's a great game lurking underneath.

I've also been quite keen to try the German version of Turok. :) I hear that due to tigher videogame restrictions they had to replace the human enemies with robots. I'd always wondered how that would look. :mellow:
Here's some footage of the German version. Skip to 2:25 if you want to see the robots, there's quite a few different designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTDiCIzbmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTDiCIzbmo

I think it's kinda cool. ^_^

Alice Lawless
Veteran

March 2nd, 2011, 2:00 am #3

I keep forgetting to post in these, but I've been playing them. Except for Glover, since I couldn't acquire it at the time. But yeah, Turok reeks of awesome!
Facebook:
STIK ROSS

297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

D.J Cat
Veteran

March 2nd, 2011, 2:13 am #4

Im half way through Banjo-Tooie, but I think giving Turok another dig once im finished should be good.
I beat it a couple of years ago and it was very enjoyable.
I still have to play Turok 3 as well...

stinger9142
Guardian

March 2nd, 2011, 2:57 am #5

Glad to hear we may have some more discussion this month. I was always impressed and intrigued by Turok. I had a friend who had it, and I did try it some. Truth be told, I was not very good at video games yet. I could not get the controls down. Heck, I did not even master the 2 analog style fps until Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube. Using the C buttons for movement always seemed so ackward to me. I think if I can get past that, I will enjoy it.

Alice Lawless
Veteran

March 2nd, 2011, 3:21 am #6

I just think of it as using the C-buttons as a D-pad and the analog stick as your right thumb stick. It makes more sense to me like that if you think of it as fine aiming rather than the rugged aiming in GoldenEye. Also, I believe you can change the controller layout in the options menu (same with games like South Park and Duke Nukem, which also utilize Turok controls by default instead of GoldenEye controls).
Facebook:
STIK ROSS

7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

stinger9142
Guardian

March 2nd, 2011, 4:43 am #7

I am hoping I can change the controls. I think I can handle it now if not though. That video was cool to watch, alxbly. It has me psyched up to play it.

stinger9142
Guardian

March 3rd, 2011, 4:24 am #8

I have played about an hour and half now. I have already had more fun than with Shadow Man and Glover. I know it is just a simple FPS, but it works. The graphics are still very playable. The fog is a bit much, but it does not affect the game play at all. I look forward to playing some more tomorrow maybe. :D

It has been such a dead night on the board...

stinger9142
Guardian

March 4th, 2011, 3:03 am #9

I completed level 1 tonight. I am having fun still, but I doubt I will get to play a whole lot more. Fatherly duties call :P

Alice Lawless
Veteran

March 4th, 2011, 5:01 pm #10

I like to think of the distance fog as intentional, like it's supposed to add to the atmosphere like Silent Hill or something.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS

7/7 PAL N64 [100%]