Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion

stinger9142
Guardian

August 3rd, 2016, 12:04 pm #1

Turok 3 is our winner. I played it ages ago. One of my friends had it and all the Turok games. I enjoyed it, but I was deterred from buying any of them. The controls gave me trouble :lol: I lacked the patience to adjust from Goldeneye.

** Also we are changing formats on Game of the Month to give the winner more time as the center of attention. The nomination topic will now be waiting to debut until about the 10th or so of the month ** Be thinking :yeah:

Legend64
Established Member
Legend64
Established Member

August 3rd, 2016, 12:46 pm #2

Sweet!
My (N64) Collection

43 Loose N64 Cartridges

2 Complete In Box N64 Games

1 Original Grey N64 Console

2 Original 1st party Nintendo N64 Controllers

2 3rd party Memory cards

1 3rd party rumble pack

buddy1983
Elite

August 3rd, 2016, 12:50 pm #3

Cool glad this won. Going to make this the next game I play, I was waiting until I finished Turok 2 but the constant memory corrupt issue I have means that will never happen.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

August 3rd, 2016, 2:54 pm #4

Turok 3 is largely a great game. Interesting weapons, level designs and environments, situations, boss fights, and enemies. It's a long and very enjoyable (mostly) journey of a game, and the fact that there are two slightly different ways to play it (since you choose from two characters at the start of the game, which gives you different weapon upgrades and slightly different ways through the levels) adds to the replayability. It also has very good graphics and sound.

Plus the four player multiplayer is a lot of fun, with many configurable options, forty-eight (I think?) multiplayer levels, and computer controlled bots to play against.

On the minus side, the game tries to be like Half-Life but fails to even approach that game's story or feeling or immersion. Also, some earlier enemies can seemingly see through and :pottymouth: through walls (which I think is a but rather than a deliberate design choice), some of the levels seem contrived rather than realistic, some of the multiplayer levels are not too good, and the bots in the multiplayer aren't very intelligent (but they are OK, and much better than having no bots at all).

All in all, it's well worth playing, and it's a shame that so few people seem to have played it. It came out after Perfect Dark, and Turok 3 isn't nearly as good as PD (but then, what game is?), so it seems to have been overlooked by the majority of N64 fans.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

August 3rd, 2016, 6:37 pm #5

My guess for why Turok 3 didn't sell was limp wristed advertising efforts. Acclaim didn't sell it. Maybe nobody wanted more Turok after Turok 2. I certainly didn't because I basically despised Turok 2. :) It was also well into the death dive times of N64 software popularity.

I agree T3 is a good game. One of the most ambitious N64 shooters. It's probably the least annoying Turok game on N64, with its improved save system.

Milage007
Elite

August 3rd, 2016, 7:46 pm #6

Never played Turok 3 but it looks alright. I can definitely relate to that bloody memory card issue Buddy used to be a nightmare for me back in the day playing Turok 2 as I had a black third party memory card so was always corrupt.

Fortunately the below cheat saved my life and let me enjoy the game in its entirety. That said, I would love to come back and try complete Turok 2 legitimately.
[+] Spoiler
Bewareoblivionisathand
Thead whore alert. Looking forward to the new game of the month format. Titles definitely deserve the limelight a bit longer.

:yeah:

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

August 3rd, 2016, 9:38 pm #7

stinger9142 wrote:Turok 3 is our winner. I played it ages ago. One of my friends had it and all the Turok games. I enjoyed it, but I was deterred from buying any of them. The controls gave me trouble :lol: I lacked the patience to adjust from Goldeneye.
I thought that Turok 3 gave you a range of control options, including Goldeneye style? I always use Turok style in any N64 FPS, so I had no problems with any of the Turok games, personally.

Regarding Turok 2, I could never understand why it had to use so much of the controller pak's space to save. 90 pages! At least Turok 3 uses only 16 pages.

Edit: There's a list of game save requirements per game at:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 206/1/#new

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

August 4th, 2016, 4:46 am #8

I've never really played any of the Turok games. My best friend had them and was really into them but whenever we got together the we only played Goldeneye or MK64. I will have to add this to my ever growing list.

buddy1983
Elite

August 4th, 2016, 12:35 pm #9

@Milage007, the weird thing is it happened across genuine and 3rd party memory cards and even still happens today. I have used multiple m/ cards and carts and it always happens, I'm very careful to use the m/ card as instructed and I dont even take it out to fit the rumble pak. Strange but hopefully wont happen with Turok 3.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

August 4th, 2016, 9:00 pm #10

sublime1996525 wrote:I've never really played any of the Turok games. My best friend had them and was really into them but whenever we got together the only FPS we played was MK64. I will have to add this to my ever growing list.
There is no N64 FPS with the initials MK64 (or just MK). Do you mean the kart racer Mario Kart 64, or the fighting game Mortal Kombat?