Top Gear Overdrive

stinger9142
Guardian

5:24 PM - Jul 05, 2016 #1

Overdrive won by a narrow margin. I have never tried it. I love Rally, but heard bad things about Rally 2. Folks seemed to like Overdrive better than it. What do you racing junkies say?

kartmaster
Veteran

7:32 PM - Jul 05, 2016 #2

I was really hoping for a sequel to Top Gear Rally at the time. Once I let go of the fact that Top Gear Overdrive was a completely different game from Top Gear Rally, I enjoyed it more for what it is. A fast short arcade racer.

The graphics and Hi-Res mode were a big deal at the time this game came out. Add in the really super compressed sound samples and this is just a tough game for me to pick up and enjoy the same way I did back then.

italia64
Veteran

12:37 AM - Jul 06, 2016 #3

Top Gear Overdrive is a good game, nothing special but definitely not bad. Graphically is good, especially in hi-res, but it's not very detailed. It wants be realistic but the colours are unrealistic and there aren't convincing particular effects. The sense of speed with the last cars is great.
The OST has its moment.
The game is too short/easy, I had some problems just with some races, the learning curve is not rewarding like Top Gear Rally for instance. Once you quickly learn how to drive, you win (wich means arrive at least 4th in every race). Some replay value is given by unlock hidden cars (like a Taco-car haha).
Controls are very good and responsive. Kudos for the 4 player mode.

I don't want to spoiler but racing in the last track worth the time spent in beating the game ;-)
PS Top Gear Rally 2, even if it's very different, is a better game. It's more deep, original and challenging.

stinger9142
Guardian

2:13 PM - Jul 09, 2016 #4

So it sounds like a Top Gear flavored Cruisin' style game? :lol:

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

2:46 AM - Aug 05, 2016 #5

It's a fun multiplayer game. Most of the reason I like it so much is nostalgia, I'm sure. Plus it does have the taco car lol.