Top 5 N64 Hidden Gems

Grimakis
Grimakis

January 2nd, 2017, 8:38 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I started a fairly basic channel a few months ago, and I finally got around to making an N64 video.

I figured that the entire target audience for this video would be here on N64 Forever, so here it is.

Feel free to give :cussfit: on not only the list, but the video capture quality, and voiceover as well. I am looking for as much :cussfit: as possible to improve the quality with future videos.

I made this video using a Framemeister, S-Video, and an Elgato HD60 capture card. I know it doesn't look as pretty as the new HDMI modded consoles, but I think it isn't bad. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whk3LAGbJFM

Thanks,
George

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 2nd, 2017, 9:35 pm #2

Well I find it hard to judge videos like this, both hidden gem lists and videos that are basic and have minimal editing on small channels, because they are simple so I don't ever want to come off as harsh because I'm sure this took a lot of work on your end and I'm sure you learned more about making videos along the way. Also it's your channel so far be it from me to judge the quality of your work, but I'll still say something since you asked.

First the subject of the video. Hidden gem lists are a very popular video choice for retro video game channels because they are pretty easy to make and get lots of views from people who want more games to look out for on their retro consoles. I somewhat disagree that we're the target audience for a hidden gem list though. I'd say it's for everyone not on this site. If your making a hidden gem list for n64 enthusiasts then the gems have to be either really hidden or you have to make a solid case for a game that isn't as widely praised.

Serious note though I appreciated having the list of games in the description. So many top 5-10 videos don't do that because they want you to watch the whole thing, while when I watch hidden gems videos sometimes I just want to see if A certain game is mentioned so I can hear the video makers thoughts about it. Like I love Silicon Valley so I would want to listen to someone's thoughts on that, but I have a vendetta against Hybrid Heaven so I don't care about what someone has to say about that one.

It's good to be informational but maybe try and talk more about your personal experiences with the game. The information in the video is available in many other places. But only you have your own unique personal experiences and feelings for a game so sharing those might give people a better idea of if it's a game for them or not.

As far as the video itself, I'm don't make videos so I'm no expert but the audio quality is much better than your previous videos so props to that. It all sounds good for such as small independent YouTube channel. The only thing I don't understand is the deep voice you did when read the transitions between each game, like when you read off the numbers. That's an odd YouTube trope that doesn't make sense to me and if I had a channel I would never do that, but that's just me. I think if you want my example of a YouTube gaming channel with a good voiceover who is both informational of games but still adds his personal feelings with no filler or cheesy voices, check out Snes Drunk. https://m.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk

I hope I gave you something useful and didn't come off like I was being harsh. Good luck with your channel and have a nice day :yeah:

Grimakis
Grimakis

January 2nd, 2017, 9:45 pm #3

Shellshocker18 wrote:Well I find it hard to judge videos like this, both hidden gem lists and videos that are basic and have minimal editing on small channels, because they are simple so I don't ever want to come off as harsh because I'm sure this took a lot of work on your end and I'm sure you learned more about making videos along the way. Also it's your channel so far be it from me to judge the quality of your work, but I'll still say something since you asked.

First the subject of the video. Hidden gem lists are a very popular video choice for retro video game channels because they are pretty easy to make and get lots of views from people who want more games to look out for on their retro consoles. I somewhat disagree that we're the target audience for a hidden gem list though. I'd say it's for everyone not on this site. If your making a hidden gem list for n64 enthusiasts then the gems have to be either really hidden or you have to make a solid case for a game that isn't as widely praised.

Serious note though I appreciated having the list of games in the description. So many top 5-10 videos don't do that because they want you to watch the whole thing, while when I watch hidden gems videos sometimes I just want to see if A certain game is mentioned so I can hear the video makers thoughts about it. Like I love Silicon Valley so I would want to listen to someone's thoughts on that, but I have a vendetta against Hybrid Heaven so I don't care about what someone has to say about that one.

It's good to be informational but maybe try and talk more about your personal experiences with the game. The information in the video is available in many other places. But only you have your own unique personal experiences and feelings for a game so sharing those might give people a better idea of if it's a game for them or not.

As far as the video itself, I'm don't make videos so I'm no expert but the audio quality is much better than your previous videos so props to that. It all sounds good for such as small independent YouTube channel. The only thing I don't understand is the deep voice you did when read the transitions between each game, like when you read off the numbers. That's an odd YouTube trope that doesn't make sense to me and if I had a channel I would never do that, but that's just me. I think if you want my example of a YouTube gaming channel with a good voiceover who is both informational of games but still adds his personal feelings with no filler or cheesy voices, check out Snes Drunk. https://m.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk

I hope I gave you something useful and didn't come off like I was being harsh. Good luck with your channel and have a nice day :yeah:
Thanks for the :cussfit:.

You are right. I guess it would be silly to think that any game would be hidden from true N64 enthusiasts! Probably this is more for someone who is just getting into the N64!

As for personal experiences, I actually have many stories about this game. Whether it was staying up late on numerous occasions during college to finish Space Station with a good friend, or having to replay Castlevania multiple times because my Controller Pak gave up the ghost! I guess I figured that many people wouldn't care much about my personal stories, but perhaps I was wrong :P

As for the low/voice reverb for the numbers, I guess I couldn't think of anything else. I'll work out something better for the next list I do.

I am curious though. What is the reason for your hatred on Hybrid Heaven? I thought it was a very interesting game, with all the plot twists and whatnot.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 2nd, 2017, 10:01 pm #4

Well I have been playing Hybrid Heaven off and on for about 3 years. The game has some very unique battle mechanics, and strangely convoluted story by n64 game standards, and killer battle music. My biggest problem with the game is how tedious the game is for several reasons.

1. Checkpoints are ridiculously far apart
2. Enemies respawn if you leave then re-enter a room, so backtracking to save is fruitless
3. Many areas are devoid of any enemies, interesting visuals, or music
4. All the levels look and play the same
5. The charge bar makes fighting even simple enemies take several minutes
4. All fights can be won by walking diagonally backwards and doing fully charged attacks

That last one is the one that really gets me. The combat is the games big thing that's sets it apart but backing away slowly is always the safest most effective strategy. Walking through hallways and stopping to fight the same enemy over and over for 8 hours is not my cup of tea. I've played tedious games with sparse checkpoints before but this one takes the cake for most mind numbing.I'm about 3/4's of the way through the game and I want to finish it this year for closures sake. It's been taking up a third of one of my memory cards and I really have wanted to delete it but I can't after how far I am into the game. Of course I'm always glad if other people can enjoy games that I don't, it's just really not for me, and it is one of the most popular choices of 64 hidden gems so I hear about it a lot too.

Grimakis
Grimakis

January 2nd, 2017, 10:07 pm #5

Shellshocker18 wrote:Well I have been playing Hybrid Heaven off and on for about 3 years. The game has some very unique battle mechanics, and strangely convoluted story by n64 game standards, and killer battle music. My biggest problem with the game is how tedious the game is for several reasons.

1. Checkpoints are ridiculously far apart
2. Enemies respawn if you leave then re-enter a room, so backtracking to save is fruitless
3. Many areas are devoid of any enemies, interesting visuals, or music
4. All the levels look and play the same
5. The charge bar makes fighting even simple enemies take several minutes
4. All fights can be won by walking diagonally backwards and doing fully charged attacks

That last one is the one that really gets me. The combat is the games big thing that's sets it apart but backing away slowly is always the safest most effective strategy. Walking through hallways and stopping to fight the same enemy over and over for 8 hours is not my cup of tea. I've played tedious games with sparse checkpoints before but this one takes the cake for most mind numbing.I'm about 3/4's of the way through the game and I want to finish it this year for closures sake. It's been taking up a third of one of my memory cards and I really have wanted to delete it but I can't after how far I am into the game. Of course I'm always glad if other people can enjoy games that I don't, it's just really not for me, and it is one of the most popular choices of 64 hidden gems so I hear about it a lot too.
Not to spoil anything, but from the last checkpoint(9-2 i think), to finishing the game, it is a long ride lol... many fights, no save point.

italia64
Veteran

January 9th, 2017, 12:16 pm #6

I liked the video. It showed a good knowledge of the games, usually this kind of lists aren't well done from a knowledge standpoint. Good job man.

About Hybrid Heaven. While I was playing I was annoyed by the cons Shellshocker18 listed (but the respawns, I remember the majority of enemies doesn't respawn, am I wrong?). But once I finished the game I was happy to get through this subterranean adventure. I really liked the story, atmospheres and charachters, and yes many time even the gameplay despite its repetitiveness.

The ending scene gave me a great sense of accomplishment like few games managed to do.

PS I remember a One-Punch Man episode with a lot of similitudes with Hybrid Heaven.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 9th, 2017, 12:51 pm #7

Yeah the info was accurate. I have seen much worse Nintendo 64 countdowns from people who don't know at all what they are talking about. I still remember one video calling it "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Time Machine" which proves the guy never even owned or played the game. Also he said it was unplayable due to glitches which is untrue. He also said it was one of the worst games on the system, which is also untrue. Wrong on so many levels.

In Hybrid Heaven I believe if you save the entire area reloads including the enemies you've beaten, so that tedium was mostly my own fault for trying to save in fear of dying later but at the time it was very annoying. I'll try and go back and play it later this year and finish it and maybe my view will brighten a little.

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 9th, 2017, 3:16 pm #8

I haven't watched this one but things like old mate High Roller said above is why I can't stand these list type movies.

The bad ones that aren't researched or make stupid statements put me off so much I just don't want to watch anymore.

Besides, I only really want to watch K-Pop or Cat videos 95 percent of the time. ?

bluedogrulez
Guardian

January 9th, 2017, 9:24 pm #9

I thought you did a nice job. I like the name of the channel and the Matrix-looking intro screen. I like the presentation, nice and concise and well thought out (I'm so fried from the hearing DanTDM and Stampy yammer on and on and on without script from the kids' iPads). The depth of the voice-over stating the number was dead-on, but the cadence was a bit slow. Maybe you can manually dig into the audio and edit. The game capture footage was really good; Framemeister and Elgato serve you well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

stinger9142
Guardian

January 9th, 2017, 11:36 pm #10

Good video :yeah: Liked the style the content both :)