Thumbstick and Swing Gear Blueprints

Funki
Funki

May 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm #1

Any idea where I might find or how I might make some digital blueprint reference files for the thumbstick and swing gear components? My searches on this site and the greater internet have turned up nothing but wiring schematics.

I ask because last night I caught this video and it occurred to me that with a little tweaking it may actually be one of the best fixes;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQhlSXIsR0

All you'd need to do is instead of using a plastic bearing make the post between the stick's ball and bottom hook that much shorter. Then make the swing gears out of a harder material like metal or resin so they can better take the load the user puts on them, make the sticks out of the same material so they don't gauge each other up and you'd probably be golden.

I'm not a machinist though so I would need to find or create some kind of blueprint I could send to a machinist to make these parts.

On top of that given the N64 controller's fragility it seems prudent to have a set of usable community blueprints for when the OEM parts become too scarce to find anymore and these seem like relatively easy parts to start with.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

May 14th, 2018, 9:05 pm #2

Might try searching USPTO's website for patent drawings of the thumbstick inners.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez