LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

March 12th, 2016, 3:17 pm #91

Side by side comparison between the black and clear rubber caps.

Clear is cool but I'm still really keen on the look of the black one, reminds me of those 1950s tonka wheels

Doesn't seem to help me much in MK64 unfortunately :P

Habbe
Habbe

March 12th, 2016, 5:33 pm #92

I would very much like to be on the list. The future is here!

Also sent you a PM.

Bamboozled
Veteran

March 12th, 2016, 11:06 pm #93

That's exactly what I thought about when I saw it! Tonka wheels! :D

I actually love the idea. So to answer your question a few posts back, it would really depend on the color scheme of the controller itself.

abney317
abney317

March 13th, 2016, 12:23 am #94

LinusHofmann wrote:Doesn't seem to help me much in MK64 unfortunately :P
I'd love to give this a good try with MK64. I've definitely worn out quite a few mint sticks to dust... and sometimes they just get too weak
Although I'm sort of used to just using a pretty loose analog stick now it would definitely be interesting to try one of these. Looks awesome :D

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

March 13th, 2016, 12:52 am #95

abney317 wrote:
LinusHofmann wrote:Doesn't seem to help me much in MK64 unfortunately :P
I'd love to give this a good try with MK64. I've definitely worn out quite a few mint sticks to dust... and sometimes they just get too weak
Although I'm sort of used to just using a pretty loose analog stick now it would definitely be interesting to try one of these. Looks awesome :D
Hey abney welcome to the forum, don't go anywhere near the competition section please, haha :D :yoshi:

Man, I actualy came across that image of the snapped stick earlier today and thought about retweeting it...insane. And that wear pattern of the other one is typical of something like mario kart. No wear on vertical gear arm, bowl destroyed, horizontal gear probably somewhat worn...typical symptoms :facepalm:

You know...I've been thinking about making a sort of "Mario Kart" special edition. Gears swapped round so the longer lever action and bigger gear usually wasted on the vertical inputs in MK is going to be the one taking the brunt of the horizontal abuse.

I think you'd be perfect to give that one a serious workout!
I'll contact you when I've built one, it may be a while after the standard version has been tested or it may not work out as planned but if it does I'll let you know.
wrote:I actually love the idea. So to answer your question a few posts back, it would really depend on the color scheme of the controller itself.
Yeah, not sure if I can source all the colours for the funtastic controllers but the standard colours should be doable.
Would be neat to offer the full set of nintendo colour options though...

abney317
abney317

March 13th, 2016, 1:20 am #96

LinusHofmann wrote:I think you'd be perfect to give that one a serious workout!
I'll contact you when I've built one, it may be a while after the standard version has been tested or it may not work out as planned but if it does I'll let you know.
Sounds interesting. Yeah I'd love to try it out if you come up with something :D

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

March 14th, 2016, 2:26 am #97

Well, testing has already uncovered a pretty big flaw with the rubber cap. After about 20 hours of mario 64 speedrunning the rubber on the cap split and started coming off, not good at all but I was half expecting it after what happened to Sanni's cap during shipping.

The silicone rubber (only 0.7mm thick on the early prototypes, now 1mm) when under tension is prone to splitting when something sharp or abrasive comes in contact over a period of time.

My style of play obviously doesn't have the same abrasive effect on the edge of the cap, all my rubber test sticks have been solid over a few months and I've been clocking up quite a few hours on MK recently.

So that's a pretty big fail, but glad it got caught in testing, back to the drawing board to see what I can do to make it more durable...

Any material experts out there have some suggestions for a more durable rubber compound to be used for the sleeve. Latex, neoprene, nitrile come to mind as alternatives but not sure if they would hold up better.

Linus

Edit:

Here's the aftermath of the splitting incident. :facepalm:

I spent the day troubleshooting the rubber caps and seeing what caused the problem. I think I have a solution that works. :yeah:

The new 1mm thick silicone rubber (clear sample I showed) is much sturdier than the material I used for the prototypes (about 0.7mm thick, softer and unknown origin).

The clear material is harder to cut and even if you do puncture it or break the surface, like by pressing a thumbnail into it quite hard, it is stable enough to not start splitting open. So it shouldn't fail or come off completely even if it's in really bad shape. Once it get's damaged it should still be replaced as soon as possible but it won't cause immediate problems with gameplay like the prototype did.
Can't exactly stop a realtime speedrun to swap a cap out... :whistle:

Finally I'll be adding a thin strip of double sided tape around the edge of the cap to pad the rubber against the metal and to really ensure it won't be splitting open or sliding off should it get damaged.

Silicone rubber isn't the most durable of materials but for this kind of thing I love the stickyness and feel. Hopefully with this new approach and user replaceable sleeves it should work out well.

Here is a stress test to see if I could get the clear sleeve to fail completely once it had been severely damaged all the way around the edge.

1mm Clear Cap Destruction Test

It's pretty solid! :yeah:

--

An upgraded clear cap is headed to Biinny for further field testing, Fingers crossed :)

For the others I suggest keeping anything remotely sharp away from the rubber cap! and if you can, take the rubber sleeve off and apply a narrow strip of double sided tape onto the aluminium edge just to help prevent the same thing from happening.
Don't rely on them for anything critical in stock form!

I'll look at getting some upgraded caps made and sent out to the early testers as well, probably once I get some more colours in.

Cheers
Linus

TEN64
TEN64

March 14th, 2016, 7:08 pm #98

Felt compelled to join this site just to plead with Linus for one of these sets (though, I will no doubt venture into other threads). Can you send me a PM to let me know how much you charge?

Cheers

bluedogrulez
Guardian

March 14th, 2016, 7:24 pm #99

Linus--I too want for rubber grips on my N64 sticks. I have 2 solutions that work for me. I mentioned them to help you brainstorm as they are not really the direction you are heading.

1) Superglue rubber circle atop stock stick. I really had to search for good material (retail wise, did not look to industrial suppliers). Rubber is hard to find, as most products I use now are silicone which is more slippery. But I found decent material (maybe a 1/8" thick), cut an ugly circle, and used crazy glue to adhere to the top of my stick. Works awesome and durable as can be. Made it several years ago and was my main for SWE1R until I made a working Lodgenet.

To make sure the stick has a full range of movement, the rubber circle ends near the edge of the stick top, and not over its edge.

At one point, I tried a rubber tire from a toy car (as you alluded to in an above post ironically). the side conflicts made it a no go.

I also tried ping pong paddle rubber . . . but the nipples wore off too quickly.

2) Super glue a Gel Capz onto a gamecube-type replacement stick. This adorns my Sin & Punishment controller, and provides superb grip and comfort. To preserve full stick movement, I had to invert the sides of the Gel Cap, which is easy to do if you wiggle and invert it back and forth a bit.

I know you are shooting for a much more sophisticated solution, but my suspicion is that if the material is not of a certain thickness, it will lack the desired resiliency.

I am eager to receive my demo and will be sure to try a Gel Cap (w/o glue!) and some other materials . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

March 14th, 2016, 9:11 pm #100

Good thoughts thanks, I also used to use electrical shrink tubing on my caps for extra grip. Not a great solution but it worked for a while, haha. :facepalm:

Sorry it's taking so long to get to you, hopefully you'll have it by the end of the week. Maybe customs are slowing it down?

-

I'm actually very optimistic about the rubber cap durability after implementing the above mentioned changes, I played a few hours of MK with the heavily damaged clear cap and it's not going anywhere even in that awful shape. The thicker rubber really makes all the difference and hey, if double sided sticky tape is good enough for mobile phone assembly, I think I can get away with a bit here too :)

Very much look forward to seeing what you make of the stick and the rubber cap especially, just sand down those thumb callouses before giving it a proper go! Haha! :D