bluedogrulez
Guardian

11:48 AM - Feb 22, 2016 #31

@LH: great chart! How did you determine the green? Also, does "feel" include sensitivity? Obviously there are games were sensitivity (and precision) is critical. There are other games where high sensivity can be valuable (need ship, aim or character to move quickly about the screen, like Star Soldier or Sin & Punishment)
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

12:35 PM - Feb 22, 2016 #32

wrote:What's the price for these I've got a bunch of controllers that could use some new sticks?
I don't want to quote a price at this stage, too many things still up in the air in terms of the workflow. Plus I want to make sure things are tested properly before I consider selling them.
Right now I'm still working out a lot of the process as I make them so they're taking quite a long time each.
They're completely hand made and quite labour intensive to assemble but I'm hoping I can optimize things more and more as I nail down the process. :)
wrote:@LH: great chart! How did you determine the green? Also, does "feel" include sensitivity? Obviously there are games were sensitivity (and precision) is critical. There are other games where high sensivity can be valuable (need ship, aim or character to move quickly about the screen, like Star Soldier or Sin & Punishment)
By green you mean the range coverage map?

It's a small program I wrote to allow me to see exactly how a controller maps it's output. Basically like Sanni's range tester, except it shows me a coverage map of all the angles between the octagonal extremes as well. Quite handy to see what the controller actually outputs. For example the Pot style joystick would look quite good in an octagonal range test, but here it looks awful because it does some really dodgy interpolation in between those extreme points.

-

By feel I just used the genuine new controller as a a benchmark and determined how satisfied I am playing all types of games with the other options in comparison.

The sensitivity is more related to the Range stat, the mid point with the green line/mark is the genuine controller benchmark. Any range above that will make for a more sensitive and touchy controller (lodgenet/hori) and anything below (worn out genuine) will make for a less sensitive response.

You could certainly break it down further in to resolution, deadzone pickup and skipping and stuff like that (Sanni did some good visuals in his test) but it may be getting a bit complicated. Essentially, the combination of poor feel and a very large range will make for a much too sensitive controller for a lot of games. ie. the original GC style

I totally agree that some controllers are actually more suited to certain games, personally I play Mario 64 with a Hori but it's hardly a genuine feeling thumbstick and the large range makes it completely useless in something like Perfect dark. As a result I didn't rate it particularly highly in feel.

It's all subjective and not to be taken too seriously but it's fun to try and characterize your thoughts on a particular set of controllers visually.

Neves
Neves

8:31 PM - Feb 22, 2016 #33

Incredible work Linus Hofmann and Sanni
I will be apprehensive about new results, I hope there is a public release of these analog in the future!
Good luck with everything!

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

6:09 AM - Feb 23, 2016 #34

I'm really curious to know what it will take to test one. I am more than willing to make a purchase and I'll pay for shipping. I'll also give it one hell of a testing.

Great work man!!

buddy1983
Elite

1:33 PM - Feb 23, 2016 #35

Wow this all looks very promising, watching this with interest.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

No64DD
Elite

8:55 PM - Feb 23, 2016 #36

Geez! How did i miss this thread!?

Probably because the tech-side of thumbsticks is over my head. Fortunately, this site has it down to a science.

@Linus,
i noticed that with new OEM thumbsticks that if you flick it left or right the whole way, it makes a signature Klak! sound... on used thumbsticks, not much at all.

Do your custom models make that same Klak! sound?
A Secret star
lie here~

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

1:01 AM - Feb 24, 2016 #37

No64DD wrote:Geez! How did i miss this thread!?

Probably because the tech-side of thumbsticks is over my head. Fortunately, this site has it down to a science.

@Linus,
i noticed that with new OEM thumbsticks that if you flick it left or right the whole way, it makes a signature Klak! sound... on used thumbsticks, not much at all.

Do your custom models make that same Klak! sound?
Certainly that's the aim, a tight stick should snap back to center with a satisfying clack.
The components are different (stick is heavier and metal on plastic makes a slightly different sound, not to mention the lubricant) so they won't make exactly the same noise as the full plastic model. I also do a few additional things to try and cut down on the "plastic clackiness" and any springy twangs on my modules, but yes a satisfying click as it springs back to center means I'm heading in the right direction. :)
It's all about minimizing the deadzone wiggle.

Here's a little video demo I made the other day, giving the refurbs quick workout and comparing the sound to some genuine modules in decent and almost new condition. That black controller I've never used, looks absolutely mint and internally the joystick looked factory fresh as well but it has a surprisingly large amount of horizontal wiggle already. Do brand new controllers have varying amounts of deadzone play right out of the box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKMwdw ... e=youtu.be (may have to turn the sound up.)

I just completed a module with absolutely zero deadzone play and that one snaps back with a gorgeous thump, hopefully I can continue reducing play as I make more of these things.

No64DD
Elite

1:27 PM - Feb 24, 2016 #38

Thanks Linus.
The reason i brought up the sound is because it was something i only recently noticed and began to identify with. I have not gone inside the thumbstick in a long time.
I really wasn't sure what actually causes it, whether it be internal or external. I thought it would be a good question to ask.

Do new OEM thumbsticks have varying degrees of deadzone?? - I'd say no.

Judging by your video, you've basically captured everything a new thumbstick should do! :yeah:

I guess i have only one more question: Are you still looking for testers? :)

PM'ed
A Secret star
lie here~

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

5:10 PM - Feb 24, 2016 #39

Nice surprise in the postbox today! :)

Super convenient for testing now! Awesome stuff Sanni.

Oh and sorry, couldn't help myself with the new bolts! hehe :P

LinusHofmann
LinusHofmann

6:22 PM - Feb 25, 2016 #40

*Just a quick note, I seem to be unable to send PMs right now. So for the people I'm in contact with through PM, my replies may be delayed...or you'll each get about 50 copies of my replies! :facepalm:

I hit send message and the composition page just reloads, nothing happens. Is this just me?

Edit1:

nvm all good again :)

Edit2:

Nope, stopped working again. I may be losing my mind... :cussfit: lol