The Nintendo Amiibo Topic

Grizzmeister
Elite

June 28th, 2014, 3:52 pm #1

To those of you who own or plan to own Amiibos: What will you be doing with them?

Total votes: 21
4(19%)
2(10%)
6(29%)
4(19%)
4(19%)
1(5%)

With all the hardcore collectors on this forum I'm surprised there hasn't been a topic created about the recently announced Amiibos yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU

At first I was turned off by the thought of what seems like an obvious Nintendo money grab, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of collecting a few Amiibos of my favorite characters like Mario, Luigi, Wario, Donkey Kong and Bowser. :w00t:

I really like the fact that the Amiibos will even interact with Mario Kart 8 even though the figures themselves won't be available until Super Smash Bros. Wii U launches this Winter.

What do you guys think about the Amiibos? Gonna catch 'em all?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Vinyl
Veteran
Vinyl
Veteran

June 28th, 2014, 3:55 pm #2

Yes, I must have them all @)_(@

just wondering if I should have them sealed or just to play with.. maybe both..
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Grizzmeister
Elite

June 28th, 2014, 4:05 pm #3

It'd be neat if Nintendo releases region specific Amiibo so that we can use this site as a place to trade figures.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Conker69
Conker69

June 28th, 2014, 4:49 pm #4

Well I need two sets one graded and one to play with.

Just a simple guy with an average collection.

Grizzmeister
Elite

June 28th, 2014, 5:02 pm #5

Nintendo seems to understand that because of digital distribution game collecting may soon be obsolete so they're trying to supplant that with Amiibos.

Amiibos are tailored made for the Super Smash Bros. franchise but they'll also work well with Pokemon so Nintendo is guaranteed an additional revenue stream to help make the Wii U monetarily successful regardless of how many units they sell. :yeah:

All of you who lament that you didn't get N64 games and peripherals when they were readily available back in the day better jump on Amiiibos before the rarer examples become prohibitively expensive. ^_^

bluedogrulez
Guardian

June 28th, 2014, 11:58 pm #6

For the last 6 months, I 've wrestled with buying Disney's Infinite, having stalked it down to like $42 for the starter set ( may even be cheaper now). I love Disney , my kids love Disney, so why not pull the trigger? Because it is infinite! I foresee my kids (okay me ) drooling over new characters everytime we walk into a toy store or toy aisle. I 've also seen some crazy prices on the "rarer " figures. And there's the whole need to buy two for two player thing too. In sum, huge money suck.

That said, I am excited for Amiibos, though I certainly will not catch 'em all. I am intrigued to see how they can be used in various games, like Mario Kart 8 and ( fingers crossed, Wii U Sports Club.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

The Red Shadow
Guardian

June 29th, 2014, 4:05 am #7

I could see myself picking up Link and Samus for display purposes but I don't think I'd actually use them if I ever took the Wii U plunge.

Kamikaze
Kamikaze

June 29th, 2014, 7:30 am #8

For sure going to pick some up. They are compatible with my 2 favorite games, so why not.

Thinking of picking up Mario, Kirby and maybe a pokemon as well to play with. And if the price is right it may pick up the others as well. Some are for sure going to be rare. I mean, who wants to have the Wii Fit Coach to play with?

Cabanon
Elite

June 29th, 2014, 12:38 pm #9

HUGE money cow for Nintendo. following what has been a HUGE money grab for Activision & Disney. they're cashing in while the hype is there.

Grizzmeister
Elite

June 29th, 2014, 2:03 pm #10

The Amiibo represent the future for legitimate collectors as the gaming industry is very quickly moving towards digital distribution. We see this very clearly in the way that Nintendo promotes a free download with Mario Kart 8 that the company would love to cut middlemen retailers out of the equation. Further evidence of this business model is the way Nintendo sells "refurbished" Wii U's through their on-line store. Most pundits are of the opinion that refurbs are actually new units that are sold at a discount because retailers are cut out of the transaction.

In the very near future, if you want to collect anything tangible and video game related you may have no other choice besides consoles, controllers and now Amiibo.