The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

bluedogrulez
Guardian

June 14th, 2016, 5:31 pm #1

:link: Nintendo has just shown off The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at E3 during its Treehouse Broadcast. Nintendo continues to stress the game's HUGE environment (and it certainly looks so), and interaction with the environment. The art style will surely be a topic of conversation. Nintendo says it is inspired by Japanese anime and a type of painting style called gwash (sp?) used in anime. To the rest of us, it may look like a more mature, less cartoon-y style of Windwaker's cell-shading. The stamina bar also returns.

The release date is March 2017, and apparently, it's coming to both the Wii U and the NX.

Early thoughts? Excited? :link:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

sanni
sanni

June 14th, 2016, 5:52 pm #2

Loving the art style. Seeing Hyrule in ruins really evokes some interesting emotions. And the march 2017 release gives me enough time to finally tackle Skyward Sword. :)

Hopefully it comes out for both Wii U and NX at the same exact time.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

June 14th, 2016, 6:48 pm #3

So far, I love a lot of the things I'm seeing. Not sure if it's going to be a day one purchase like Pokemon Sun or Moon, but the changes I'm seeing seem to either be for the better or at least interesting to look at.

My friend, on the other hand, is a hardcore Legend of Zelda fan and absolutely adores the established Zelda formula that's been around since A Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time. When he saw the drastic changes this game was making, he said some things that I can't even repeat on this website. What I can say is he believes this single game will be the death of Zelda.

As you can probably tell, I don't agree with that one bit. Even if the game does end up being a disappointment, they could always go back to the series' tried and true formula to get things back on the ball. I doubt that will be necessary, though.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

June 14th, 2016, 7:28 pm #4

It does look to me a lot like a Monster Hunter / Xenoblade type experience, with the open world and the gazillion items and the non-linear gameplay. I prefer more linear game play, but I think that puts me in an ever shrinking minority. It does look extremely immersive (and world's better than anything I saw from UbiSoft yesterday).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

kartmaster
Veteran

June 14th, 2016, 7:56 pm #5

I'm pretty excited so far. The trailer didn't do the game justice I think. The trailer showed a lot of sweeping aerial shots and left the world looking big, but a little empty. The gameplay when you're actually on the ground exploring completely puts that fear to rest.

This looks like the Zelda a lot of people have been asking for. And I have to be honest, I'm a bit surprised Nintendo is giving it to us. Nintendo usually takes the line of, "I know you said you wanted this... but you REALLY wanted THIS, you just didn't know it."

I can see myself losing a lot of hours to this game.

Cabanon
Elite

June 14th, 2016, 10:05 pm #6

link ? photo ? video ?

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

June 14th, 2016, 10:43 pm #7

I am so stoked for this game! So far it's looking pretty amazing. I just don't want to wait until next year for it.
Cabanon wrote:link ? photo ? video ?
Here you are sir
E3

The Red Shadow
Guardian

June 14th, 2016, 11:00 pm #8

This is the only thing not coming to the PS4 that has me excited. This will be the Wii U system seller for me next year.

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

June 15th, 2016, 12:17 am #9

The Red Shadow wrote:This is the only thing not coming to the PS4 that has me excited. This will be the Wii U system seller for me next year.
I'm kind of hoping the NX wows me so I don't have to get a Wii you.

The Red Shadow
Guardian

June 15th, 2016, 12:58 am #10

I would lean toward the NX myself if it was revealed that it was backwards compatible with Wii U games. I already own one Wii U game so I need to be able to play it, too. I doubt it will be, though, as they seem to be hinting at it using a different format other than optical discs.