The Future of collecting

buddy1983
Elite

July 4th, 2012, 11:59 am #1

With all this talk of download only consoles I was wondering what this would mean for the future of collecting. Sure there will always be the current gen (probably the next gen) and everything before but once we go disc-less what would there be to collect other than the consoles themselves and where would you buy the games 10-20 years after the release.

Just wondering what you guys thought about it. I personally think it would be a great shame if we went this way. Nothing beats having the physical copy.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Mk II
Elite

July 4th, 2012, 12:45 pm #2

if consoles all go download-only (which i doubt) that will be the day i stop collecting current-gen stuff.

lithium017
Veteran

July 4th, 2012, 1:50 pm #3

Interesting topic Buddy1983

I am like Mk, I will collect current gen stuff until there are no physical versions. I highly doubt Nintendo will go completely download only for another decade at least - there is just too much of a market of buying games as gifts (like from parents, grandparents etc) and the used gaming market is simply too massive to ignore, although I am sure Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would like to eventually eliminate it.

I want to keep the games I love forever - that is why I only collect good games or rare games.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

The Red Shadow
Guardian

July 4th, 2012, 2:10 pm #4

I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm in agreement with the consensus so far. If they ever go to download only consoles and/or eliminate the ability to play used games on a console then I'm out of that particular gen.

SicCooper
Veteran

July 4th, 2012, 2:38 pm #5

I already don't collect current gen really (a little wii, but thats it) so while I wouldn't really be effected, I think it would be a bad move by the game companies. I haven't heard anyone anywhere (on youtube, or any forums, or in person) that said they are excited for download only. haha. Im pretty sure the PSP Go didn't do as well as they thought, and its probably because people like having physical copies of their games.

carsonpeaks

July 4th, 2012, 4:56 pm #6

I think for the corporation it would be a smart idea because people could only buy from them at there prices... but it will eliminate a bunch of customers. Also i dont think they would ever do this because they would still need the disk drive for dvds and what not. so why not just make the disc for the game... I soon think they will give the option though to buy every game electronically but wont eliminate the discs for a long time.

I also don't collect current gen (only the games i have and at least having each new system)

NINTENDO 64 PARTIES ROCK

My Youtube Channel

Cabanon
Elite

July 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm #7

the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc. it doesnt make any sense at all. they try to even **** you in the butt by selling an online game, wether on PSN or XBLA, 10$ or 15$ more than the actual disc. what the hell are they thinking.

Mk II
Elite

July 4th, 2012, 7:01 pm #8

wrote:I think for the corporation it would be a smart idea because people could only buy from them at there prices
actually, Nintendo is very much aware of the fact that they still rely on retail stores to sell their hardware.
They need those stores and this is quite obvious if you look at their Wii U digital plans which incorporates the retail stores as point of sale for download codes.
Nintendo cant afford to alienate the retail sector and they wont for the foreseeable future
wrote:the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc
they have to and for the very same reason... those retail stores would cry foul if Nintendo would undercut their own pricing policy.
It's good business to let your partners make some money as well

Cabanon
Elite

July 4th, 2012, 8:29 pm #9

Mk II wrote:
wrote:the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc
they have to and for the very same reason... those retail stores would cry foul if Nintendo would undercut their own pricing policy.
It's good business to let your partners make some money as well
yes it might be good, but you cant pay the same price for a online & a physical copy. you dont get the added touch of physical media. you get a lesser product. its like buying digital music

DeeMoney
Guardian

July 5th, 2012, 12:18 am #10

IMO I think that they will go this way eventually. And I for one hate that this is going to happen one day. There is no fun in just downloading the games to play. I'd def prefer to have a solid copy in my possession. They would have to drastically reduced the price of these downloads to make them even remotely interesting for people to want to play, cause if they make the downloads the same price then your just paying for the data and not the copy, which is what I want.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19