James92
Established Member
James92
Established Member

9:10 PM - Jul 24, 2012 #21

I think it's so much better buying a physical copy than a download. I like being able to display and share my game collection with other people. It's just not the same showing someone a list of downloads. I feel the same with music. I rarely download any songs or albums, but I'm always buying CD's.

62/296 NTSC N64 games

TNT737373
Veteran

10:42 PM - Jul 24, 2012 #22

Norcal wrote:You know the world is ending when video game stores sell slips of paper with download codes instead of discs or physical games :(
Most of the time for new games, what's worse is that when they give you no physical item they still charge you full price! >_< Such a scam, for the full price I think I'd rather have some sort of physical representation of where my $65+ went thank you.

The future of gaming will be paper and plastic less.. :( That's why it's good to collect the old items now! With the exception of limited editions, promos. etc I think the market will be fully digital by 2020.

buddy1983
Elite

8:13 AM - Jul 26, 2012 #23

Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

alxbly
Elite

12:08 AM - Aug 13, 2012 #24

I think that we'll move to a situation where games are more heavily marketed as downloadable content, but only once high speed broadband becomes more widely available. And even then, most of the more popular new games will still be available as a physical product (look at how CDs are still widely available despite a far higher percentage of music sales being downloads). I think in the next gen we might see "rewards" which are only available if you download a game, a bit like the pre-order bonuses of today. Then we'll slowly see a shift in prices, so that downloading becomes noticably cheaper than buying physical products.

None of this bothers me, but it will be interesting to see how backwards compatibility is handled with the next generation of consoles. Will you be able to migrate your Xbox/Playstation account to the new console? Most likely. But what about all those games you downloaded for the old console? Well, it would give the new consoles a massive back catalogue from the start... but the console manaufacturers will want a way to resell those games if they can. It's gonna be interesting. :whistle:

Grizzmeister
Elite

7:38 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #25

Have people's minds changed on the future of collecting since this thread was first started?

I must admit to having warmed to digital distribution after my Wii, via the Virtual Console service, has given me access to games (specifically Neo Geo titles) that I could never hope to afford if I had to buy the physical media.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

bluedogrulez
Guardian

8:03 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #26

@Grizz: In no way do I mean this as a jinx, but if your Wii goes ***GULP*** down, then what? I say this as someone who thought I had achieved my ultimate collection of music only to see it wiped out after my iPod and PC died. I was left without a means of transferring those many, many purchases.

Downloads are great because they tend to be cheap, "on the system," and--for the Switch--portable. But I just do not trust the intangible if my system goes down.

Great thread bump, BTW. Love Clarky's nearly prophetic statement above, and looking forward to what others have to say as we are squarely in a digital download age.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Grizzmeister
Elite

8:27 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #27

bluedogrulez wrote:@Grizz: In no way do I mean this as a jinx, but if your Wii goes ***GULP*** down, then what?
Thanks to the incredible Raspberry Pi I have somewhat of a backup plan. ;)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

10:32 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #28

I love physical media because it feels tangible, more than just a download in a way. I've always collected physical but have been agonizing over it a little bit recently because I don't like the hassle of having to change discs all the time rather than the convenience of just choosing a game off the screen.

One crazy factor is the ridiculous fact that at least in the UK, downloads tend to be more expensive than buying the physical media off Amazon! At the moment I just can't seem to let go of physical and have just bought Uncharted lost legacy on disc.

Nintendo is my favourite games company so I'm considering just collecting physical for their consoles and downloads for everything else. Although in a way on the Switch, physical is the least convenient as it's portable so the easiest way would be to have everything on the console! I just can't get my head around it at the mo :facepalm:

If only you could just get a corresponding download with the physical media you buy! That way we could have our lovely collections on the shelf and the convenience of hassle free game selection

buddy1983
Elite

8:07 AM - Aug 18, 2017 #29

I'm still firmly in the physical only camp and rarely buy a game digitally, buying something and holding it in my hand makes it feel like money well spent.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Cabanon
Elite

11:32 AM - Aug 18, 2017 #30

as long as digital & physical release will be the same price, i dont see how physical media will die. if they really want to push digital sales then they need to lower the price on digital by a good margin, like physical 69$ and digital 49$. otherwise it'll stay like this forever. of course we're talking about console here since on PC it's another ball game as there are flash sales on Steam like crazy.

I'll never stop buying physical unless they stop making it. I dont buy many games a year to justify the saving on digital.

EDIT: I sound like an old fart saying the same thing in 3 posts within the same page, over the course of 5 years, lol