ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

February 14th, 2017, 3:35 pm #31

Went back to Smash for Wii U after Smash 64 and I still think I prefer 64. Even without Ryu, Cloud, Marth or the Duck Hunt Dog.

I don't know how they applied this to Melee onwards other than the fact that the controls generally feel really good in my hands. But it's easy to see how Smash 64 was made for that controller. Every button is placed exactly how it should be. I recall hearing that Fighter's Destiny's controls were also tailor made for the N64 controller, rather than mapping the standard arcade layout to the A, B, and C buttons which seems awkward to me though I've never tried it.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

February 14th, 2017, 4:23 pm #32

Shellshocker18 wrote:What does the Grizzmeister think of Fighter's Destiny? Don't be afraid to hurt this fanboy's feelings.
I make it a point to play every game that I buy but I honestly can't even remember playing Fighter's Destiny. :-8

That's not to say that FD is a bad game but apparently it didn't strike a cord in me like Tekken and Soul Edge did. By the time Fighter's Destiny was released the PlayStation already had a really strong lineup of 3D fighters and since I owned both a PSX and N64 the former was probably my platform of choice for the genre.

As much as I love Super Smash Bros. (N64) now, I didn't really care for it when I first played in back in 1999. That was undoubtedly a consequence of the way I was introduced to it. You see, my friend Ray brought it over and since he'd been playing it for a while he completely mopped the floor with our small gathering of friends. Fortunately, I went back to Smash 64 after picking up Brawl in 2008 and I now consider SSB64 a timeless classic that easily holds its own against its follow-ups.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

March 22nd, 2017, 11:58 am #33

This morning I just heard of an n64 fighting game that was completely new to me: Super Fighting Spirit? It's Japan only and based off the Super Robot Wars series, so giant mechs fighting each other including some Gundam. Normally though, I go to Amazon to find import games and it doesn't even have a page! So I have a couple questions:

How much does a copy run?

Is it worth buying?

Also, would the custom robo games count as fighters?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 24th, 2017, 1:13 pm #34

ItalianBaptist wrote:Killer Instinct - I really don't know a whole lot about the series but I love the combo breaker concept. Is it gory like Mortal Kombat or what?
Even though Killer Instinct Gold was obviously inspired by gory games like Mortal Kombat and Samurai Shodown, KIG includes the option of turning the Blood off entirely.

As to the Combo Breakers, Killer Instinct Gold also includes an option to make them easier to pull off.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Retro Junkie
Retro Junkie

August 13th, 2017, 7:08 pm #35

ItalianBaptist wrote:This morning I just heard of an n64 fighting game that was completely new to me: Super Fighting Spirit? It's Japan only and based off the Super Robot Wars series, so giant mechs fighting each other including some Gundam. Normally though, I go to Amazon to find import games and it doesn't even have a page! So I have a couple questions:

How much does a copy run?

Is it worth buying?

Also, would the custom robo games count as fighters?
I am going to answer your question with a blogged I posted on Word Press May 2016.

This is defiantly a fan based fighting game. If you love the Gundam franchise and own an N64 then this game for you. I am under the impression that there are not that many carts available, being that, the game sold under 10,000 copies at its initial release. Or? Maybe there were a lot of copies that went unsold. Who knows? It was only released in Japan. Famitsu list it in the top selling N64 games in Japan as #80. Which was only 8,919 carts sold from 1996 through 2003. That really gives a bad impression on how well the N64 game did in Japan. With that many copies sold, the question comes to mind, “Is it a bad game?”

The game is in Japanese, but it being a fighting game makes it easy to get into. Your only loss is not knowing what is going on in the story mode, which is the mode highlighted when the game boots up in the start menu. Move down the menu until you see the number 64. This would be the mode which is the gauntlet, single player, fighting mecha after mecha until the end boss, Judecca. Right under the story mode is the VS mode. It appears that there are only 10 fighters to choose from and several of those must be unlocked.

The gameplay is 2D even though the graphics gives it a 3D effect. The mecha units are polygonal in design which works well for the characters. They are suppose to look like robots anyway, right? The graphics, not having a lot of detail, are colorful, simple, and clean, animation is smooth. Each Gundam character is easily recognizable by their own unique design and individual color palette. I find the control responsive and tight. Each fighter has a common kick and punch with their own signature special moves. Some of the special moves are determined by how full the energy bar. That bar fills as you engage your opponent. And you are not limited to fighting just on the ground. Any time you want, you can take it to the air with the right shoulder button. I like this. It adds so much to the gameplay.

The game is easy to pick up and play. Moves are easy to learn and initiate. I find the fights fun and engaging. I haven’t watched any of the Gundam anime except for one of the movies, so I am not that familiar with the characters, or story. Even though I don’t know who they are, I still find it a fun and enjoyable game to sit down to and get into the action. It is a simple fighter with big chunkie ginormous mecha. Whats not to love? Even though I have had this a :pottymouth: time, I still cannot beat that end boss Judecca. But I will. To answer that question I posed at the beginning, no it is not a bad game. It may not be for every gamer, but if you love the genre and have this thing for big mecha, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. It is really not that hard to find or that expensive, even for a CIB copy. How do I rate this game? I am going to have to place this up there as being “awesome game.”

Grizzmeister
Elite

December 8th, 2017, 4:48 pm #36

I'm going to spend most of this coming Sunday playing Super Smash Bros. 64 since my friend Steven claims to have some new tech for Kirby. It's amazing to me how people can still find new strategies for a game that's almost ready to celebrate its 20th anniversary. :lol:

Mantis128
Established Member
Mantis128
Established Member

March 11th, 2018, 4:12 am #37

Several months ago I was looking at my N64 controllers and honestly I saw no reason why a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers/Vampire game couldn't have been done on the N64. The button layout would have been great, perhaps better than the PS1.
B, Left-C, Up-C could have been the punch buttons, while A Down-C Right-C could have been assigned to kicks.

I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

March 11th, 2018, 5:05 am #38

Mantis128 wrote:Several months ago I was looking at my N64 controllers and honestly I saw no reason why a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers/Vampire game couldn't have been done on the N64. The button layout would have been great, perhaps better than the PS1.
B, Left-C, Up-C could have been the punch buttons, while A Down-C Right-C could have been assigned to kicks.

I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
There were rumors of DarkStalkers. Seeing as Rakuga Kids has 400+ frames of animation per character, I believe Alpha 3 is technically possible, but probably would have taken a 32mb or possibly 64mb cart, and even then it could have ended up being a worse version. Financially I understand Capcom not putting forth the effort but in all technical terms I think it could have functioned on N64. It would have been the most "Triple A" N64 if it had happened.

I guess Mortal Kombat 4 is just as good, right? ;_;

Grizzmeister
Elite

April 7th, 2018, 12:33 pm #39

Mantis128 wrote:I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

April 7th, 2018, 12:40 pm #40

Grizzmeister wrote:
Mantis128 wrote:I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:
I'm not an expert on Game Boy Advance, but from what came up in my searches, the largest GBA carts were 32MB. Alpha 3 on GBA is pretty highly regarded even by the developers themselves who were interviewed on Nintendolife about the game. So I don't think it would have been cartridges or size holding back an N64 version. Rather the smaller install base making it financially pointless and probably the odd way N64 handeled 2D sprite rendering which would have made it a pain in the :donkey: