Tetrisphere

stinger9142
Guardian

February 3rd, 2017, 12:29 am #1

Tetrisphere had a strong showing in the vote off. I have personally never tried it. I didn't used to care for puzzle games much.

Thanks to all who voted

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

February 3rd, 2017, 1:09 am #2

Same here, stinger. Outside of Bust-A-Move and that demo of Intelligent Qube I once had, I coudn't care less about straight up puzzle games back then and gave this one a pass. I'll be sure to pick up Tetrisphere if I can find it for cheap in the wild, but I'm in no real rush to play the game.

Congrats to all who voted for this one.

stinger9142
Guardian

February 3rd, 2017, 2:06 am #3

Now I was however a total sucker for Tetris Attack for an entire summer on SNES!

No64DD
Elite

February 3rd, 2017, 2:11 am #4

Nintendo 64 had the most unique official Tetris games around, and Tetrisphere was one of them!
A Secret star
lie here~

kartmaster
Veteran

February 3rd, 2017, 2:41 am #5

Hooray! It finally won!

Other than the shape of the pieces, it really has less in common with Tetris than you'd think. It's fun when you get a chain reaction going, and I really enjoyed powering up your "bombs" and blasting pieces to smithereens!

And it has to have a top 10 soundtrack out of all N64 games!

I would be on board for Tetrisphere to re-appear as a mobile game. I'd snatch that up in a minute!

No64DD
Elite

February 3rd, 2017, 3:01 am #6

I recall playing Tetrisphere at a WAL-MART N64 kiosk, yet there isn't an NFR version. :eh:

Almost as puzzling as Tetris itself!

A Secret star
lie here~

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

February 3rd, 2017, 4:27 am #7

kartmaster wrote:Other than the shape of the pieces, it really has less in common with Tetris than you'd think. It's fun when you get a chain reaction going, and I really enjoyed powering up your "bombs" and blasting pieces to smithereens!

And it has to have a top 10 soundtrack out of all N64 games!

I would be on board for Tetrisphere to re-appear as a mobile game. I'd snatch that up in a minute!
You're right Kartmaster the game really doesn't feel like Tetris once you get the hang of it. You can pick up and move pieces at any time, each turn has a time limit instead of it just being a case of going on infinitely and you only have 3 strikes until you're out, as you mentioned there are some unique items you can find to help you on the harder puzzles. It really only takes about 10-20 minutes to figure out even though it seems daunting and complex at first.

The techno-psychedelic and chiptune soundtrack was composed by Neil Voss who did the soundtrack for the New Tetris as well, and it so good that even if the cartridge had no gameplay and was just the music it would still be worth 5 dollars. It is for sure one of the best most unique soundtracks on the console and you can use the L, Right-C, Down-C on the name selection screen and put in the G?meboy cheat to unlock more songs to listen to.

Tetrisphere mobile Is a game that deserves to come back but as far as I know there isn't another game like it. I wonder if since Nintendo published the game that they hold the rights to the concept but have never done anything with it? Shame because although the N64 got some decent established puzzle games like Bust-a-Move, Dr. Mario, Puyo Pop and others, Tetrisphere was not only an all new unique concept, it is still a Nintendo 64 exclusive to this day which is a big :yeah: for our consoles exclusive library but after nearly 20 years the game should be brought back for some newer players to enjoy.

Funny thing this is one of the 6 n64 games I have the manual for, you know that thing that teaches you how to play the game. I wish I had thought of that sooner. I've been slowly getting the hang of it and I'm trying right now to beat the 100 puzzles in the rescue mode. If and when I do I'll make another post about it.

italia64
Veteran

February 3rd, 2017, 9:41 am #8

Tetrisphere is among the best puzzle games on N64, if not the best. It's very addicting and it accomplished the very difficult task of doing something original without sacrifice the immediate gameplay of games like Tetris or Bust-A-Move.
Once you're good in Tetrisphere your brain manage to keep in consideration a lot of variables at the same time, and your hands do the things right, but you ask to yourself "how is it possible taht I'm doing all without mistakes?".
In the end the game is difficult but always fair, and very rewarding.

The musics are fantastic, you can find my favourites of the game here:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7459158/1/

kartmaster
Veteran

February 3rd, 2017, 2:37 pm #9

Unfortunately I think Tetrisphere is stuck in the same legal wasteland that GoldenEye 007 will never return from either.

Jsboger
Established Member
Jsboger
Established Member

February 3rd, 2017, 2:44 pm #10

It's a cool spin on a Tetris style game, although I can't stand Tetris this game was pretty fun.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!