Superman 64

stinger9142
Guardian

April 2nd, 2015, 5:31 pm #1

A lot has been said about Superman 64, and most of it was bad :lol:

So in your eyes, was it justified? How many of us have actually tried it? I had a friend who bought it the day it came out, and then abruptly returned it two days later. He convinced me it was a VERY bad game, so I always avoided it.

Perhaps it is fitting that yesterday was April Fools Days, and it won ;)

action
action

April 2nd, 2015, 8:21 pm #2

only a fool would play this game. an april's fool, if you will ;)

think that was a bad joke? well, that's how i feel about this game too :P

kartmaster
Veteran

April 2nd, 2015, 9:09 pm #3

Part of me really wants to play this game to see if it's that bad.

The rest of me just wants to eat a juicy bacon cheeseburger I could buy with the $8 instead.

No64DD
Elite

April 3rd, 2015, 2:18 am #4

@Kartmaster Mmm! Chances are good that you can still do both. ^_^
A Secret star
lie here~

buddy1983
Elite

April 3rd, 2015, 7:47 am #5

:nope: :nope: :nope:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Vinyl
Veteran
Vinyl
Veteran

April 3rd, 2015, 11:01 am #6

I think its awesome that Superman 64 Wins in April.

Got to admit, no one expecting it, so I think its kinda cool

PS: here is a unreleased box of Superman 64 (flyers/promos I have are full of unreleased content)

https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Nuno
Veteran
Nuno
Veteran

April 3rd, 2015, 11:26 am #7

After months of trying, Superman finally won :) And it's OK it won in Aprils 1st!

Most people complain it's repetitive but actually you solve mazes, you throw cars, save the police, inhale tornados and beat up bad guys on rooftops in only the very first level of the game!! That's a lot of things to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNpBwU3PTX8

It's a shame this is the last we'll ever see of TRS though....

stinger9142
Guardian

April 4th, 2015, 3:28 pm #8

Some of the comments and reactions to the GotM victory are cracking me up :lol:

I will say that I have never been a Superman fan when it comes to movies/games/etc.
The reputation this game got sure didn't help to draw me in :lol:

One of my friends complaints was something to do with the fog. Seems like he said you couldn't really go down to the city like he expected. Like it was mostly just flying around above a fog. That right?
Oh wow! Just watched that youtube link! :lol: It looks worse than I had expected. the sounds of flying through those rings alone about drove me mad. It did look funny punching the bad guys off that building :lol:

cheaterdragon1
Established Member
cheaterdragon1
Established Member

April 6th, 2015, 2:25 am #9

I don't like this game very much yet I've still played it a lot. It's really fascinating. I've completed it from start to finish twice and have also done lots of screwing around. I guess I have a lot to say about the game.

A lot of people complain about the controls and they aren't great but I think they're manageable. For the ring stages the trick is to just think of Superman as a flying car. In racing games you have an accelerate button and a gas button. This applies to Superman too. When you take a turn in a racing game you need to slow down or you're going to crash into a wall or go off the track. Same with Superman, depending on the turn you need to slow down a little or a lot or else you're going to miss the ring. There's plenty of room for error as well. They usually give you 0.5x to 2x more time than needed plus you can miss a few rings.

I remember when I first played I finished that first ring section rather easily and was wondering what the fuss was about.

When you complete a ring section you then have to do a "mini-game". If you fail the mini-game then you have to do that previous ring section again at least for the first 3 tries. At least if you continue to fail the mini-game 4 or more times then you can start over at the mini-game. After the mini-game you fly through more rings, then another mini-game, then more rings, then mini-game, then one more final set of rings which usually ends right at a building where the next stage takes place. 7 levels of the game are like this.

Ring stages are really not hard, just give the game an honest chance and you'll be flying through them in no time.

Superman 64 has 14 stages. Odd number stages are ring stages and even number stages are actual action levels where you fight bad guys, save people, and face an actual villain from the Superman Animated TV Series.

This game is at it's worst in these action levels. The levels are so glitchy and broken. I guarantee anyone who does a playthough of this game will fall through the floor or out of bounds at one point. It's usually comical for a moment, then you realize you have to re-start the level. And of course there's no checkpoints. Action levels are for the most part big and empty. The framerate is often atrocious. Also things usually don't respawn. Some parts involve grabbing crates and putting them on switches. If you lose the crate or glitch the crate then you don't get another one. Only solution is to restart. Characters can also fall out of bounds or not go where they're supposed to. Once again you must restart. Also avoid the super speed powerup. You don't need it ever and you run so fast that you can clip through nearly every wall in the game. This game also freezes a lot. It tends to do it during cutscenes but it can also do it randomly.

People who play Superman on Youtube mostly suck. A lot of them just seem to :cussfit: about the controls and just play badly. Well you should give every game a chance and try to learn how to play it a bit. I also saw one video where a guy was complaining about the purple sky. The sky is only purple in Superman if you're playing in emulator. Tons of N64 games are glitchy in emulator this isn't news. I especially hated the AVGN episode. All he did was :cussfit: about the rings and he didn't show any footage past the first level. If you want to make fun of Superman I would at least talk about the glitches as all sorts of crazy stuff can happen.

If anyone wants to watch an intelligent person play Superman I would check out ProtonJonSA's playthrough. It's really entertaining and will get you in the mood to play the game. The only thing I don't like with his series is that it appears to be abandoned as he only has levels 1-7 done. That's still several hours of entertainment though.

And if anyone is still interested in more Superman 64, take a look at the leaked Prototype. I did an article talking about it a year ago. To put it :pottymouth: the prototype is a hell of a lot better than the final version. Lots of cool stuff to see.

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!

Thespriggan

April 21st, 2015, 6:06 pm #10

A part of me always wants to play the game and see if its so bad, annoying and horrible.

But, sometimes I use youtube to see the game and the bugs and that sensation is gone :D