ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

July 16th, 2018, 2:53 am #31

Grizzmeister wrote:Smash Ultimate seems like it's giving fans of the franchise what they crave, however, I find myself loathing the direction eSport is pushing the fighting game genre in. People no longer want to play fighting games to enjoy themselves but rather simply to win. That gets tedious for those like me who don't take anything video game related all that serious.
I've been meaning to answer this comment specifically and never got around to it. Until now.

I've seen a little bit of the "dark side" of eSports so I get the frustration for sure. But I like the touches that Nintendo is putting on this game to appeal to the eSport crowd. You've got the technical changes, such as less landing lag for aerial attacks, that make the gameplay faster and more exciting. Then there's the aesthetic changes, such as the scoreboard that pops up during one-on-one matches that just up the hype factor. I like that the team seems to be acknowledging the competitive community more while still keeping the game fun for all.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 18th, 2018, 1:43 am #32

I wonder if we'll see more of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at this year's EVO tournament? :huh:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

July 18th, 2018, 9:59 pm #33

The demo’s already confirmed to be there as well as San Diego Comic Con. Hoping for more info to come with it soon :)

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

August 9th, 2018, 8:46 pm #34

Big info dump yesterday. 5 new fighters (Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K Rool); stage total is up to 103, lots of little improvements :)

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

August 9th, 2018, 10:50 pm #35

The amount of money they spend and legal hoops they are willing to jump through for some characters scares me. Like Castlevania is a great series but i never pegged it as smashworthy, but I see that Smash doesn't hold itself to some arbitrary standard of who deserves to be there. They just add anyone they think is cool and anyone a large number of fans want. I wanna play as Richter Belmont so bad.

28 hours of music is also insane and worth the price alone. And they brought back every stage i ever loved from Melee, 64, and got all the stages i was sad were stuck in the 3DS version like Earthbound's Magicent. Oh yes and that stage hazard toggle is so sexy. God why is Smash the only series that makes me want newer Nintendo consoles

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

August 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm #36

Weirdly the new fighter I’m most excited for is Chrom. He’s an echo (read: clone) of Roy but at the same time he seems to take a bit from Marth, Lucina, and Ike. So in essence, he’a The quintessential fire emblem character.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

September 14th, 2018, 12:09 pm #37

We got a new fighter, Isabelle, who looks really fun to play. And a Smash Bros. themed Switch bundle that looks really cool.

The one thing that's keeping me on the fence about getting this now is really Bayonetta. I know technically I don't have to use anything related to the series as I play the game myself. It just bothers me that she's in the game at all. It's not so much for my sake as much as I wouldn't want to cause young people to go places they shouldn't since I'm a teacher and hopefully a parent one day.

And then on top of that do I really want to spend over $400 total on something I'm having all these doubts about? When I could just be enjoying Smash 64 and the console that I've consistently had the most fun with instead?

kartmaster
Veteran

September 14th, 2018, 3:01 pm #38

Isabelle looks like a lot of fun.  I just want to destroy people with kindness and ordinances.  Haha.  I'm a bigger Animal Crossing fan than a Smash fan though.  But she'll definitely be one of the characters I play the most.