Super Smash Bros

stinger9142
Guardian

January 1st, 2017, 4:50 pm #1

Super Smash Bros won our Game of the Month vote off by a healthy margin.

It is a title that I truly was not interested in back when it came out. In 2001 I found out that my wife and her family loved the game. They played it every weekend when they got together. Soon, I was joining them. They were seasoned pros though, and I was a green rookie. Playing as Link, I got my butt handed to me weekly, and NEVER won a single game we played :lol: I found the game to be enjoyable though, even in defeat.

In the years after, we moved on to playing the follow ups on Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. On Gamecube I still never won a battle. I used both Link and Ganondorf. My wife used Kirby, her twin used Pikachu, and my bro in laws used Mario and Donkey Kong primarily.

Now we play on the Wii U when we get together. Last year about this time, I won my first battle ever against them. I have won a good bit since as well. I still use Link and Ganondorf some, but Little Mac became my favorite. I make them hate him, and I enjoy my sweet revenge :yeah:

KnightlyGaming
KnightlyGaming

January 1st, 2017, 6:31 pm #2

In my opinion the best part about smash bros is the ability to enjoy the game no matter what level of skill you're at. You can hop in as a new player and just enjoy some simple game play or if you're a pro there is plenty of mastery to be found here. Great game and will definitely live on as one of the best, and most fun, fighting games ever.

January 1st, 2017, 7:00 pm #3

The best fighting game on the N64 and no one on this planet can or will dispute that. Granted it's only competition is a couple :pottymouth: MK ports and a meh Clayfighter..

Just the novelty of having Mario beat up Pikachu sets this game apart from many others. This one gets outshined by Melee but it truly started one of the best series Nintendo's ever had. Here's to you, Smash Bros. May we forever Falcon Punch Pink Puffballs.
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

Milage007
Elite

January 1st, 2017, 7:05 pm #4

Totally agree, I voted for it. Great multiplayer game and the solo campaign is enjoyable as well. Very good on 4 player with friends. As stated, nothing else on the system can come close, as unfortunately, there isn't much competition. I agree also that the novelty of playing with some of your favourite characters and the familiar maps and weapons etc make for an awesome experience.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 1st, 2017, 7:38 pm #5

I could try and dispute it but everyone might string me up for it. . . . :unsure: Well here it goes. I'm gonna say it. I unironically prefer Fighter's Destiny and I'll fight to death for its honor!

Artists representation of Shellshocker18 Fighting for Fighters Destiny's honor

:dk: :yoshirider: :yoshirider: :mariorun: :fireballmario: <== N64ever forum, Me ==> :sonic:

Well anyway that's beside the point. More people have enjoyed Smash over the years so I concede that it's the better game. Besides I really love the original Smash Brothers despite it being the last of the smash series that I got around to playing. One thing I love is that the multiplayer ai in this game doesn't have frame perfect reactions so the single player doesn't feel cheap or tedious. The combat works amazingly well on the n64's 2 button controller and the whole game feels closer to a traditional fighter than the sequels do which gives it a unique and still important place in the series. But of course it still has all the wacky items and stages for a fun multiplayer game too.

My only complaint is probably the lack of a single player final destination stage or an f-zero and Earthbound stage. The small roster and move sets make it so easy to pIay and have fun with. Nintendo were really good at plugging the holes in its library during the n64 era, they got an rpg with Paper Mario and an innovative fun fighting game outta Smash Brothers. Unlike the former though, this series never went downhill in popularity and is still one of Nintendo's greatest success's.

If only James Bond and Banjo-Kazooie would have made it in. That would have been killer

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 2nd, 2017, 1:11 pm #6

I also think Killer Instinct Gold is a top notch fighter, but only if you are into that sort of thing.

This game is amazing if you have the right crowd to play it with, no doubt about it.

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 2nd, 2017, 1:53 pm #7

I didn't really care for Super Smash Bros. when it was originally released because I was too heavy in to "hardcore" fighting games at the time. SSB didn't have the technical gameplay of Street Fighter II or the visceral appeal or Tekken for me and my friends to take it seriously at the time of its release. However, as the years have passed I've really come to appreciate the original Super Smash Bros. as a brilliant and innovative title. I like it so much that I have both the North American and Japanese cartridges in my N64 collection now.

I modded my Japanese copy of Smash 64 with the back plate of a North American N64 game so I can easily play it without the need of a converter.

Ultimately, what I probably like best about Super Smash Bros. is that it's as serious a game as you want it to be. Turn off items and go head-to-head with your buddy for some intense competitive action. You can also turn on the items of your choice and have a wacky fun-fest with up to three other people for a thrilling gaming party night that's sure to be a blast for all who participate.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

stinger9142
Guardian

January 2nd, 2017, 6:25 pm #8

shellshocker, I owned and enjoyed Fighter's Destiny as well. I am not surprised to see someone mention it.

To be honest though, my favorite "fighting" games for N64 were a bit unconventional.... in the form of THQ/AKI wrestling games :yeah:

So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 2nd, 2017, 6:48 pm #9

stinger9142 wrote:So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?
I've played as Mario the most although nowadays I mostly main Kirby. Occasionally I play as Donkey Kong when I want a little more of a challenge against a friend who isn't as good at Super Smash Bros. as I am.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

January 2nd, 2017, 7:09 pm #10

OOH I love the AKI Wrestling games to death. I don't count them as Fighting Games though, there's enough Wrestling titles to consider it it's own genre.

I always played Kirby just to Piledriver everything into oblivion.

Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks