D.J Cat
Veteran

5:26 AM - Jan 20, 2017 #31

Grizzmeister wrote:
D.J Cat wrote:As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 ??
Like the kids say, "pictures or it didn't happen". ;)
I sort of forgot, I used to take heaps of pics at Smash tournaments back in the day.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/djcat/433 ... 232426541/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/djcat/3811322329/

Most of my Flickr albums etc are from Smash tournaments etc ?

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

11:50 AM - Jan 20, 2017 #32

stinger9142 wrote:So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?
With all the talk about competitive I forgot to mention who my main was :lol:

The character I use most of the time is Pikachu - Pokemon was a huge thing for me (still is) and Pikachu was definitely my favorite from the beginning. It also helps that he's currently #1 on the tier list ;) I later went on to use Kirby, Samus, Link (remember when Smash Bros had only one swordsman???), Mario, and Jigglypuff in that order. I'm also currently working on Yoshi.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

2:15 PM - Jan 20, 2017 #33

When you divorce yourself from the idea of having to play SSB64 competitively, you can begin to embrace the Virtual Console release on the Wii. Here's my video review of that version.

Super Smash Bros. VC

Since I don't condone piracy I often advocate for purchasing the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. 64. It's cheaper than sourcing up the cartridge and is quite acceptable as long as you don't intend to play competitively. While it looks and plays fine in the 16:9 aspect ratio like I show in my video, I've since started playing all my VC games in 4:3. They just look better that way to me.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

2:22 PM - Jan 20, 2017 #34

I already have it on the vc - favorite game of the series with favorite controller probably ever :)

But yeah, I'm never gonna be full-on competitive. I can't imagine this game without items, free-for-alls, and wacky stages. But I still like going to tournaments when I can for the social aspect of it.

Grizzmeister
Elite

3:29 PM - Jan 20, 2017 #35

ItalianBaptist wrote:I already have it on the vc - favorite game of the series with favorite controller probably ever :)

But yeah, I'm never gonna be full-on competitive. I can't imagine this game without items, free-for-alls, and wacky stages. But I still like going to tournaments when I can for the social aspect of it.
I've done extensive back-to-back testing between the two versions and I find the frame skips that competitive players complain about in the Virtual Console version to be negligible.

However, no serious N64 or Super Smash Bros. fan has a legitimate excuse not to have the Super Smash Bros. cartridge in their collection. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

3:47 PM - Jan 20, 2017 #36

The social aspect is the best part of 64 because it seems people take that one less seriously than the others at least around here. My local retro store had a few smash 64 tournaments where about maybe 30 people showed up so it felt like just a bunch of Bros hanging out. We ended up playing on Peach's Castle with Bumpers in the semi-finals and it was a laugh riot. We had a smash tourney for Smash 4 and the owners have told me that they never want to have another smash tournament again. A bunch of people from the nearby schools Smash club came and absolutely would not talk about anything other than smash or go easy on people who odviously weren't good at the game. After they lost they didn't even want to stick around to play some casual matches. It sucked because it was a local thing with no stakes so it was really annoying. I like the smaller crowds that Smash 64 brings in. I wish we would do another one soon.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

12:18 AM - Jan 23, 2017 #37

So I broke out my 64 and popped in smash bros for a couple matches after a long time away (been mainly playing VC and Wii U). It took some getting used to, especially the controller, but I had a really good time. Changing my mains to Kirby and Mario and hoping to have some friends over soon :)

Grizzmeister
Elite

2:55 PM - Jan 23, 2017 #38

The original Super Smash Bros. is unapologetically a product of the late 90's fighting game scene as it includes legitimate combos and powerful grabs that can eliminate an opponent's stock. This is probably why many of us fans still enjoy playing it to this day even though several sequels have been released. It's much like how many fans still play Super Street Fighter II Turbo even though the Street Fighter series is currently on its fifth installment. We know that Nintendo's next console Switch will feature 'Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers' in its lineup which is essentially the ultimate expression of SSFIIT. Wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo also released an HD redux of Super Smash Bros. 64 on the Switch? That way fans could play their favorite iteration of Smash, replete with its powerful grabs and more technical smash attacks, on modern televisions. If nothing else it would make watching footage of tournaments much easier on the eyes. :lol:

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

6:54 PM - Jan 23, 2017 #39

Sadly I see us getting a Melee HD Remix before a 64 remake, but the original game got a lot of love in Smash 4, especially with the DLC stages.

Grizzmeister
Elite

8:07 PM - Jan 23, 2017 #40

@ItalianBaptist: I know, right. Me and my friend Steven often pick Dream Land and Hyrule Castle when we play SSBWiiU. :D