Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 16th, 2017, 2:13 am #21

That's a very good philosophy to have. Looking at the Smash Bros box art reminds me just how low budget the whole thing was but there is something endearing about the amateur aspects of the visuals. The longer I look at Mario the more bootlegged he looks and the Link on the side looks like something out of a newgrounds flash animation. Speaking of weird art, the congratulations screens in the first game were original pieces of artwork instead of screeen shots and they range from epic artistic feats to something you would see on the filler pages of a strategy guide

The DK image is just the model from DkC with a first level backround slapped on and the Kirby one looks like the start of a PowerPoint, but the Jigglypuff image is a great piece of original artwork. The Yoshi image is cool too but it looks like some Salvador Dali Nightmare fuel. Who in the world made these things? For all the low budget visuals though I'm still glad the game was a smash hit. Crazy that at one point this was just a side project and Nintendo didn't think it would do well.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

January 17th, 2017, 4:23 am #22

Grizzmeister wrote:It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.
Yeah the competitive smash 64 scene is small compared to say Melee but it's plucky and tons of fun to watch. The only negative in my opinion is that the only legal stage right now is Dream land but that's not too big of a deal considering how great that stage is. I've thought about getting into it on a local level myself :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm #23

If you've got young kids who you'd like to introduce to the thrill of fighting games, I can think of no better game than the original Super Smash Bros. to start with. It's no more violent than a cartoon and can serve as a great tool to build hand-eye coordination for future skill-based video games. I often wonder how many competitive Tekken and Street Fighter players today started out playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 with their family and friends.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

January 18th, 2017, 10:54 pm #24

I think this would be a good place to post this link: I'm trying to get involved with the smash 64 community which is small but growing (they just got one of their first sponsored players a couple days ago). There's a major tournament coming close to me in April in case anybody's interested: https://smash.gg/tournament/ssb64-leagu ... or/details

Note: I hope this is okay. I thought it was since it's a public event - I think even international players are coming - but if not I'll take it down

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 19th, 2017, 2:29 am #25

There's a big-time Smash 64 scene in the Baltimore area called Xanadu. If you don't want to play with them come down to Raleigh, NC and we can do a Smashfest at my place. However, I'm not too great at 64 anymore cuz I mostly play Project M 3.5 nowadays on the Wii. I've got all the games in the series, though, so we can play any Super Smash Bros. game you like.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

January 19th, 2017, 4:14 am #26

Xanadu's fantastic but they don't do 64 weeklies anymore. They still do some monthlies however. The more I play the more I realize I'm probably never gonna be a pro gamer but I can still have fun being a "filthy casual" :)

The real question is: do you have Rivals of Aether, Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion or King Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends? (For everyone else, I'm referring to 3 of a slew of smash bros clones that have appeared as of late. Aether's actually a really good game and a loving homage to the series from the same guy who made the Super Smash Land fan game. The other two? Not so much)

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 19th, 2017, 2:26 pm #27

I'd never want to be a pro Super Smash Bros. player as that would drain all of the fun out of it for me. Me and my friends prefer to play on a purely casual basis.

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 19th, 2017, 5:36 pm #28

Grizzmeister wrote:I'd never want to be a pro Super Smash Bros. player as that would drain all of the fun out of it for me. Me and my friends prefer to play on a purely casual basis.
I think that's where I stopped enjoying the games myself.
I really proffered how we played back in the day with items on and not being picky about which stages are "fair" or not.

Still, the competitive Smash scene was a way to meet lots of cool people and friends and on the side a HUGE amount of multi-player N64 gaming that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 ??

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 19th, 2017, 5:46 pm #29

D.J Cat wrote:As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 ??
Like the kids say, "pictures or it didn't happen". ;)

MymeeN64
MymeeN64

January 19th, 2017, 7:32 pm #30

I love how super smash bros it so friendly for all skill types. My 4 year old can play with or without me. And if i need a challenge i can break some targets or pump up the computer players. Such an easy go to title.

Everyone should come play at my place though, i just got my 4th Nuby reality vest in the mail! Such a good time with smash!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub: