Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 2nd, 2017, 7:17 pm #11

I know when I was younger I used to think Jigglypuff was the worst character in melee but now Jiggs is my favorite in Melee and 64. She has such great horizontal air movement and her air dropkicks make it pretty fun to smack anyone who comes near you. I'll play as pretty much anyone though.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

January 4th, 2017, 6:15 am #12

Hurrah! This is the second year in a row my January GOTM nomination has won! :w00t:

I actually have a story regarding Super Smash Brothers. Some time after Super Smash Bros. came out (I can't remember how long after, but I know it was before the GameCube came out here in the U.S.), I walked into a nearby pawn shop with very little pocket money looking for a super cheap game to buy when I saw Super Smash Bros. sitting behind the case for... I want to say $20. Sweet! But I didn't have the money on me, so i rushed back to my house (which was only about 10 minutes away) to beg my mom for the money to buy one of my most wanted N64 games (that commercial worked like a charm on me). I was completely expecting her to say no but, to my surprise, she pulled out a $20 and gave it to me. After thanking her, I rushed down the street towards the pawn shop with a giant smile on my face, but that quickly faded as I saw one of my best friends and his step-brother walking from the direction of the pawn shop with an N64 cartridge in the brother's hand.

"Look what we got!" the brother said as he held the N64 cart up for me to look at. Sure enough, it was the copy of Super Smash Bros. I was just on my way to buy. My heart sank so low I could feel it squish under my feet with every step. I had to fake being happy for them when, in my head, I was cursing my rotten luck with every swear word I knew. They did invite me to go back to their match to play with them and, of course, I wasn't gonna pass that up. It would be the closest I could get to owning my own copy of the game for a very long time.

I got over the whole situation pretty quickly. I was too busy having fun going to my friend's house whenever I could and playing against him and his brother (and anyone else at their house) in SSB. The year after I got my GameCube, I was given Super Smash Bros. Melee as a birthday present by that same friend and the original didn't get played nearly as much (if at all) after that day. Many years later, my younger brother and I (now adults) would find the original N64 game at a Goodwill for $2 along with some other games. While my brother was technically the owner of the game and the copy of Rayman 2 we got that day), it wasn't long before he just straight up gave them to me, knowing I would enjoy them a lot more than he would. It took over a decade, but I finally owned a copy of the original Super Smash Bros. which I have to this day. Even with four superior sequels, the original still finds it's way in my N64 regularly. As for who I main, I was a Mario user for a very long time and even bought a Smash Mario amiibo so i could train my very own Mario to pound me into dust in the newest games. After playing the 3DS and Wii U games online, however, I found that I did better playing as Lucario so now he's my new main. I also play as Pac-Man and Wario, but I'm not as good with them.

And I know a few users have already said this, but count me amongst them that ranks the Fighter's Destiny games as someof the best the N64 have to offer for the genre. I only own the second one, but I hear they play largely the same and it certainly gets more play than MK Trilogy or MK4 (not that those are bad games or anything).

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 4th, 2017, 7:01 am #13

This is Smash Melee, but a very well made montage of a tournament we had...over 10 years ago now ?

Only goes for a few minutes.
https://youtu.be/sfS-RBltCHM

Has a few seconds of footage from Smash 64 I think.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

January 15th, 2017, 1:15 pm #14

This is probably in part nostalgia talking, but after playing all the smash games over the years I keep going back to the original as my favorite. Probably the #1 reason I keep going back to the original over the others is sound direction and visual design. Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Ness never had better voices than they did in the original. Mario and Luigi kept their voices in Melee but got new sounds for Brawl onwards and both sound really awkward. Also ever since Brawl Mario's had an angry scowl on his face that confuses me. The stages in the original are still my favorite - I scooped all of that DLC in a heartbeat when they came to 3DS and Wii U. And even though I know the Japanese version does not have them, there's something oddly satisfying about the hit sounds in the International version of the game, and that never carried over to any future release.

Lastly, I just enjoy the simpler setup of the original compared to the huge roster of, say, Smash 4. The current roster is a bit intimidating to me lol.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 15th, 2017, 1:26 pm #15

Agreed IB!

Especially the roster, it's not just a Smash thing, it's been in so many games these days.
So many junk characters that no one cares about and variations like Baby everyone etc in the Mario Karts.

Quality over quantity.

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 15th, 2017, 2:39 pm #16

It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 15th, 2017, 4:17 pm #17

@Grizz:

A wise man once said "Don't get hit" ?

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 15th, 2017, 4:34 pm #18

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Milage007
Elite

January 15th, 2017, 6:45 pm #19

Great video. Original Smash is by far the best for me also and 4 player mode is great fun with friends. You can't replicate that.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 16th, 2017, 12:46 am #20

Consider myself really lucky to have a CIB example of Super Smash Bros. for the N64. :w00t:

It's in keeping with my philosophy of collecting only the games I genuinely love and intend to keep on playing in the future.