Starcraft 64

stinger9142
Guardian

May 5th, 2015, 8:58 pm #1

Sorry, It slipped my mind I hadn't already done th

I have never played StarCraft on the N64, but I played it and Brood Wars a pretty good bit on the PC. It was a very fun game, but I have never seen StarCraft in a store as of yet.

I cheated like crazy on the pc though X_D

italia64
Veteran

May 6th, 2015, 1:23 am #2

Starcraft 64 is a fantastic port. The game is 100% the same, Brood War expansion included, better controls in my opinion (Z+control stick is fantastic for move faster the camera keeping the "mouse pointer" in the middle of the screen, buttons combination are very smart, moving the fingers is easier that moving the whole hand, ecc).
In the PC version you have always to tell to the SCV, Drones, ecc to harvest (very boring), on the N64 version they harvest automatically.
Nintendo 64 version got the funny 2 players mode.
The PC version got the fmvs, better musics, cleaner graphic and above all the online mode.

This is one of the many reasons because N64 is the best console of all times, in fact this is the only Starcraft ever released for console.

The game is also became famous among the collectors because the PAL version is quite rare and very expensive. Some people talk about only 5000 copies released, I don't know if this is true or not.

Sixty Formula
Established Member
Sixty Formula
Established Member

May 6th, 2015, 3:28 am #3

I loved starcraft for the n64, but unfortunately they didn't include the voice acting, at least not in the US version. One of my favorite parts of the PC game is the dialog between characters and sadly it's missing throughout the n64 version, replaced by only text. Still love the game though! I'm looking to get my hands on a CIB copy eventually!

Thespriggan

May 6th, 2015, 11:44 am #4

I love Starcrat but its true, its very strange that Blizzard really wanted this game on a console like N64...I mean, the console of the moment was de PSX so its weird that the port was finally released for the Nintendo 64.

However im not going to say anything bad about that fact hehehe :whistle: Im just happy because N64 was a greeeeeeat console and it deserve an "exclusive" game like that

May 6th, 2015, 12:11 pm #5

Whilst a great port, the PC version is still by far better as you are limited the the N64's controller compared to an entire keyboard, which the game was originally intended to be used with. imo :)

The box for the N64 is awesome though, good pic italia

stinger9142
Guardian

May 6th, 2015, 12:34 pm #6

The voice acting on the PC is still stuck in my head. "Goliath online" I believe it was... the "Yamato gun" guy... and the "Wraith" are the ones that stick in my head :D

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

May 6th, 2015, 8:00 pm #7

I just wish they had gotten the gameplay to run at high-res. The menus are high-res, I believe.

italia64
Veteran

May 7th, 2015, 12:33 pm #8

"Set a course"

mikezelot
Established Member
mikezelot
Established Member

May 8th, 2015, 5:08 am #9

My fiencee and I play this on the n64 all the time. About the ps1 port the system could not handle that many objects on screen at once with the psx limited processing power compared to the power the 64 had
N64 forever starfox 64 champion
"Im an elephant" - Conker
Both the n64 and the ps4 have 64 bit processors. Now I'm not saying the 64 could run crysis at 60 fps but I'm not saying it couldn't.
115 games
2 consoles
6 controllers

italia64
Veteran

May 22nd, 2015, 4:32 pm #10

PC version pro:
FMV
More soundtracks
Speech
Cleaner graphic
Better micromanaging
Online mode

N64 version pro:
Multiplayer mode
Multiplayer coop mode
Brood War expansion included, new missions and scenarios
SCVs, Probes and Drones go to mine automatically (was very annoying on the PC version)
Yoi can select 18 units (12 on the PC version)