Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Discussion

Norcal
Norcal

April 30th, 2014, 2:52 am #1

It's awesome that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford are returning to reprise their original roles. And John WIlliams doing the music again is just icing on the cake.
wrote: After more than a year of speculation, the cast for "Star Wars: Episode VII" has finally come into focus. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will reprise their original franchise roles in director J.J. Abrams' sequel, where they'll be joined by actors Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow. Many of those actors had been previously linked to "Episode VII" in some capacity through various trade reports.

"We are so excited to finally share the cast of 'Star Wars: Episode VII.' It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again," Abrams said in a statement. "We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Ford, Hamill and Fisher will, respectively, play iconic "Star Wars" fixtures Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia in the new film. (According to Deadline.com's Mike Fleming, Ford, who turns 72 this year, will have a "gigantic role" in "Episode VII.")

Written by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (the pair took over for original writer Michael Arndt) and directed by Abrams, "Star Wars: Episode VII" is due out in theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/2 ... ertainment

floorcat
Elite

April 30th, 2014, 3:08 am #2

:blink:
Wow...

I read headlines today of the cast now being known, but didn't even have the interest to click-through and find out who was actually cast. Now that I know that so many of the original members will be back... you could say that I now find myself unexpectedly quite a bit... INTERESTED.

Might have to actually (and not only) see this... and/but actually see this in the theaters!! :yeah:

DeeMoney
Guardian

April 30th, 2014, 3:52 am #3

Nice, really looking forward to this. Should be good :yeah: Didn't realise that Harrison Ford was so old now. 72 this year :wacko:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Nagato
Nagato

April 30th, 2014, 5:48 am #4

I cannot wait for this! And wow at being 72....... Are you sure!??!?! hahaha.

TNT737373
Veteran

April 30th, 2014, 7:22 am #5

Yup we all love the characters. I'm happy Harrison Ford is actually motivated to act in the movie. (He's looked bored as hell throughout his past few films, ha.) Fingers crossed there's some Chewy in there too. Behind the scenes though, the most positive detail is that Lawrence Kasdan is the co-writer with JJ Abrams. This is huge. The man played an extensive role in writing Empire and Jedi, not to mention Raiders of the Lost Ark too. He rounded out and perfected the original Star Wars trilogy. Most sequels and reboots suck these days, the exceptions are the ones with great writers attached.

Like most 90's kids I loved the prequels, but also like most 90's kids watching them over again as an adult I've found out how shockingly awful they really are. :D I looked into why the prequels were so disappointing compared to the originals and found one big answer. Kasdan wasn't hired as a writer for the prequels. George Lucas thought he could handle the whole writing thing by himself, but unfortunately George's script was an utter mess. Bland and nonsensical. Most fans credit Kasdan as the main level-headed guy keeping Lucas in check, molding the Star Wars story into the legendary tale we know it as. So yeah, the thing I'm most hyped about is Kasdan. Let's pray it's as good as the Star Trek reboot! The franchise needs it, desperately. I'm desperate. lol. I kinda gave up on Star Wars a few years ago, I really want to love it again. JJ Abrams is a great director as well with a good sense of what audiences find entertaining, I'm sure he'll deliver. Right?

:wub: RUUUUUrhrGUGUGHRhghghghrRURURUghGHrrrrrr!!!

bluedogrulez
Guardian

April 30th, 2014, 2:42 pm #6

I can't tell you how glad I am to see the prior greats return, and the new cast members be a collection of relatively unknowns (at least to me). Blank slates, can't wait to see what they bring to the table.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

The Red Shadow
Guardian

April 30th, 2014, 3:02 pm #7

Things are looking up for this movie but I want to see more, as I always do, before I really commit. I have to echo TNT's thoughts above about the prequels. I loved them back then, still love them now but I'm more accepting of the fact that they were pretty crappy as a whole. I think I'm more disappointed about the Star Wars games that were recently cancelled and the fact that I won't be able to play Battlefront 3 than I am that this movie might suck.

Norcal
Norcal

April 30th, 2014, 4:06 pm #8

The Red Shadow wrote:Things are looking up for this movie but I want to see more, as I always do, before I really commit. I have to echo TNT's thoughts above about the prequels. I loved them back then, still love them now but I'm more accepting of the fact that they were pretty crappy as a whole. I think I'm more disappointed about the Star Wars games that were recently cancelled and the fact that I won't be able to play Battlefront 3 than I am that this movie might suck.
Yeah, it sucks that Battlefront 3 was cancelled but at least DICE is making one in 2015. Lets hope they don't screw it up :p

http://dice.se/games/star-wars-battlefront/

Cabanon
Elite

April 30th, 2014, 4:26 pm #9

am I the only one not liking Star Wars ?

The Red Shadow
Guardian

April 30th, 2014, 5:10 pm #10

Norcal wrote:
The Red Shadow wrote:Things are looking up for this movie but I want to see more, as I always do, before I really commit. I have to echo TNT's thoughts above about the prequels. I loved them back then, still love them now but I'm more accepting of the fact that they were pretty crappy as a whole. I think I'm more disappointed about the Star Wars games that were recently cancelled and the fact that I won't be able to play Battlefront 3 than I am that this movie might suck.
Yeah, it sucks that Battlefront 3 was cancelled but at least DICE is making one in 2015. Lets hope they don't screw it up :p

http://dice.se/games/star-wars-battlefront/
That was the Battlefront 3 I was referring to. I won't get to play it since its on platforms I won't be purchasing. Plus, I imagine it will cater to more modern shooter fans and multiplayer tendencies.