South Park

stinger9142
Guardian

3:05 AM - Oct 02, 2017 #1

South Park won the vote off with a strong showing.

I never owned the game, but had a couple of friends that both did. I was a teen when it came out. South Park being the naughty/crude show that it was, drew my attention. The game was not a masterpiece by any means. I had fun playing it though. I enjoyed chunking pee covered snowballs at turkeys :lol:

Cartman was probably my fav to play as. I was very glad the game featured alternative control options since I was awful with Turok style controls. So "Brown-Eye" it was :lol:

Call it cheap, unpolished, crude, etc... It was still entertaining enough for me :yeah:

"Die evil turkeys, Die!"

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

3:36 AM - Oct 02, 2017 #2

In the commentary for Starvin Marvin both Matt and Trey said the game was $hity, and only pushed out before Christmas because Viacom was making bank with all the crappy South Park merchandise. The way they worded it makes it sound like they only ever played the first level, but to be honest that's probably enough for anyone to tell it's not great. The composer Darren Mitchell was the same guy who did the Turok soundtrack said it sucked too.

It was announced in March of 1998 and finished in only 6-7 months, developed alongside Turok 2 by the same people and was clearly the one they gave less attention. Acclaim had a major renaissance during the N64 era but their tendency to produce cash grab licensed games was on full display here. Still it sold out its during first retail run during the 1998 holiday season and was the most rented game of December and January, beating WCW/NWO revenge and even Zelda: Ocarina of Time. No64DD swore to me it came out in January but he remembered it wrong, all because the game was so scare when it came out. Acclaim contributed 79% of its $135.7 million dollar revenue during the sales quarter to Turok 2 and South Park so it was a clear success for them.

5 multiplayer modes including Capture the Flag, Grudge Match, and Kick the Baby, but only regular deathmatches were included in the final game, and for the record the multiplayer runs like garbage despite the graphics already sucking. At least it has my chap Pip, lost but never forgotten.

With all those dumb facts out of the way I can say the game is neat as a fan of South Park. It came out when the second season was underway, there were only 29 episodes so far and the early South Park era is really different starting in season 4. The game froze on me before entering the final mall and I hadn't been saving on a controller pak so that annoyed me off. The whole thing was horrible really and I am not looking to replay it because outside it's crudeness it has nothing for me. It's too hard to even be simple brain dead fun once the visitors show up.

buddy1983
Elite

12:59 PM - Oct 02, 2017 #3

Glad this finally won, means I can stop nominating it :) True to my word once I have finished Watchdogs 2(near the end) i will make this the next game I play through.

I have fond memories of this game, love the show when it came out and me and my bro had to play it. Had fun with the MP too so looking forward to playing it again. I'm sure I will regret that though :D
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

3:40 PM - Oct 03, 2017 #4

Ugh... South Park on the N64. Even back in the day when I did like Turok 2 (which South Park got it's game engine from), I thought this game was pretty bad. Now that I can't even stomache the former game, well... you get the point. I already went into why I hated the game in another thread earlier this year and declared it was the worst licensed game I own for the system. That hasn't changed one bit (though, in all fairness, neither has the amount of licensed games I own for the N64 :rollseyes: ).

But I guess I shouldn't spend this entire post bashing the game so here are some positives. The graphics are fine enough (certainly feels like a 3d version of the show). The Bobbybird cheat, in my eyes, is a Godsend and does help me enjoy the game a little bit. Finally, the game is legitimately funny. No I'm serious. For as much as I don't like playing the game, I sure do love watching it's cutscenes and listening to all of the funny stuff Chef and the kids say to each other.

Chef: "When I was coming home this morning, I heard a strange noise and saw an eerie green light coming from a warehouse. When I got closer to investigate, I saw Big Gay Al! He was acting mighty strange!"
Kids: "..."
Chef: "... Alright, well, stranger than usual."

And that was just cut from one of the cutscenes that I COULD quote on here without censoring myself. But yeah I just don't like this game and it brings out the worst in me so how about I just stop talking about it? :yeah:

Milage007
Elite

5:14 PM - Oct 03, 2017 #5

Looking forward to trying to beat it myself like Buddy and glad it has finally won. I'll be sure to crack on with it once I've finished Chicken Run... ???

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

6:12 PM - Oct 03, 2017 #6

See i had recently bought my boyfriend all the N64 south park games. i have never owned them but am borrowing them to play as well, quite fun and charming. :n64: :n64: :n64: :n64screen: :n64screen: :n64screen: :loveys:

buddy1983
Elite

12:42 PM - Oct 04, 2017 #7

So i fnished Watchdogs 2 yesterday and as promised I will start SP today :) looking forward to it.

Edit
So started playing through SP yesterday and got through the first 2 of 5 episodes and started the 3rd so made good progress.
Youtube

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

stinger9142
Guardian

3:47 PM - Oct 05, 2017 #8

Nice. If I have some time towards the end of the month I may borrow my bro in laws copy. We are going on vacation the 28th-4th, and I might get a little window to play it.

buddy1983
Elite

7:17 PM - Oct 05, 2017 #9

Just played it some more, another level down but my god it's frustrating. Finished the level but had to protect the town from loads of Alien ships, failed and have to do the whole level again. Grrr
Youtube

UK resident

No64DD
Elite

7:51 PM - Oct 05, 2017 #10

I almost beat this game back in the day. The last levels are tough!
I'm happy this game is getting represented myhya!
A Secret star
lie here~