S-VIDEO & PAL

buddy1983
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 8:45 am #1

Hi

Does anyone know if a S-video cable works for pal N64's. i have read that the picture is too bright on pals and there is a work around but not too sure about it.

If anyone knows anything that would be great, would really like to improve the picture on my HDTV as its really bad at the moment.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Mk II
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 11:44 am #2

No, it doesnt. the N64 doesnt produce a S-Video signal.
Using a different cable does not magically alter the signal it carrries (alas!)

AFAIK some early NTSC consoles can be modded to support RGB output but that's it.
We're stuck with composite video

buddy1983
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 12:00 pm #3

Shame, thanks anayway
Youtube

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

August 7th, 2012, 12:07 pm #4

It's a crying shame isn't it? When older consoles like the Sega Master System can do S-video!

buddy1983
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 12:18 pm #5

Even worse that the USA version of a console can have better picture then the Pal version. Doesnt make sense to me
Youtube

UK resident

Mk II
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 2:11 pm #6

Looks like someone solved your problem...
wrote:Good news for PAL N64 owners sick if shitty composite video, I've found the solution.

Recently on a thread someone said that s-video worked on PAL N64's. My bull**** alarm sounded but curiosity got the better of me and I had a look. Seems I was right and wrong. S-video does work on the PAL N64 but Nintendo left out components so that it doesn't work properly. The video displays but all the colours are ultra bright and over saturated. However I stumbled across a thread about someone that hardwired a s-video cable to the N64 console and added the extra components himself and got it to work. There was a message on the thread saying you could mod the s-video cable itself with the components for a cleaner mod.

Anyway was on consolegoods.co.uk and saw that rob had modded s-video cables for sale so inquired and seems these cables would work on a PAL system but not NTSC so I took a chance.

The cable arrived today and I can happily report it works beautifully. The picture quality is amazing. No more dot crawling and the colours are far more vivid. To the naked eye there's no difference between this and RGB. I tried Perfect Dark which is massively improved by this cable. Goldeneye was improved as well but less so since it seems to over use the N64 blur and looks absolutely terrible anyway. Other games like Mario 64, Mario Kart and 2D games like Mischief Makers really are substantially improved.

Now the difference between composite and s-video on the N64 isn't as amazing as the difference between composite and RGB on a megadrive and the SNES because of the awful N64 anti aliasing blur. if you look at the edge of a polygon instead of a diagonal with a staircase effect going up it you have pixels smudged randomly along the edge which looks even worse. Still I highly recommend this cable because even with Nintendos awful anti aliasing this cable is a massive improvement over AV composite.
i've ordered stuff from consolegoods.co.uk in the past without any problem.

buddy1983
Elite

August 7th, 2012, 3:09 pm #7

thanks I'll look into this
Youtube

UK resident

clarky_n64
Veteran

August 9th, 2012, 2:53 pm #8

Or get yourself a French PAL N64. These can be modified to use RGB.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 11th, 2012, 3:45 am #9

I just got a cheapo 3rd party (redundant, i know) N64 a/V and S cable (vendor: quick buys on Amazon.com) for my NTSC console. The picture on my old tube TV is at least as good as with the OEM A/V cables. I actually think it is perceptibly better (but my comparison pics werent telling).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Panda
Established Member
Panda
Established Member

September 9th, 2012, 8:43 pm #10

Thank you Mk II for the link, will order one.
Wii U Network ID: Esines