RUMBLE PAK MOD

bluedogrulez
Guardian

July 20th, 2012, 5:08 pm #1

It is possible to mod your N64 rumble pak to work without batteries. But first, a disclaimer:

I claim ZERO credit for this. Grizzmeister originally posted this video (in the N64 Collection discussion), and one of our resident modder extraordinaires, Clarky, confirmed it works. Clarky explained the positive wire that runs from the N64 to the controller is 3.3v, is an adequate replacement for the 3.0v the 2 AAA batteries would otherwise provide.

Here is the video of the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEn6LT4D ... r_embedded
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

willis82

July 20th, 2012, 7:10 pm #2

This mod came from kiosks. Nintendo actually did this to kiosk rumble packs so shop owners wouldn't have to change batteries. They even went so far as to glue the battery doors shut. It's ok to run a rumble pack this way but never run 4 controllers with 4 modified packs, it draws too many amps through the ports and the system can't handle it. The kiosks came with disclaimers warning what would happen if you ran more than two modified packs on one system.

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 21st, 2012, 12:25 am #3

After watching the video I modded one of my Rumble Paks and it works like a charm. In fact, I removed the resistor completely and just used a piece of wire between the two connection points with no ill effects to either my N64 or controller.

I use this Rumble Pak just about every time I play F-Zero X as the rumble feature adds so much to that particular game. Interestingly enough, although the Wii Virtual Console version of F-Zero X supports improved 480p graphics- even when playing with the GameCube controller it still doesn't provide a rumble feature. It's for this reason and some slight tearing on the VC version that I consider the N64 cartridge iteration of F-Zero X to be the definitive example of this awesome game.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 15th, 2012, 1:42 pm #4

I finally got around to modding an OEM Rumble Pak to work without batteries.

I attempted to desolder the resistor, which proved difficult for my limited skills. So I cut it off, and opted for the Grizzmeister method of using a wire instead to make the new connection:

Note: The large silver dots are where the resistor was.

Here's shot of the other side of the board to give you a better idea where the new wire is soldered (under the second small "n" in Nintendo and atop "D2":

RESULT: It works! Without the resistor, it actually shakes more, or at least with least gradual modulation. I may attempt to integrate the removed resistor to alter the functionality to be idenitcal to its pre-mod days. Still pretty cool having a light-weight OEM rumble pak . . . now if I can creatively mark it so I don't keep getting it mixed up with my others. . . . :)

clarky_n64
Veteran

August 15th, 2012, 8:32 pm #5

Nice job! :yeah: The controller feels so much better being lighter doesn't it!?

It's also good to see you getting more involved in modding bluedogrulez. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you dare to mod next. Once you mod, you just can't stop :lol:

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 15th, 2012, 8:51 pm #6

@Clarky: Ha! Thanks, man. Was just posting my other little project from last night. Think my hair might still smell a bit of singed wire and plastic, lol.

I've got a way bigger idea that is far beyond my capacity but the rusty gears are turning nevertheless.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 16th, 2012, 2:39 am #7

UPDATE: The "no-bat" pak works GREAT now after two adjustments. I soldered the resistor to the wire installed yesterday and placed PACKING PEANUTS where the batteries would go (to absorb misdirected vibrations). I actualy think the latter was the more critic step.

Grizzmeister
Elite

August 16th, 2012, 3:26 pm #8

bluedogrulez wrote:UPDATE: The "no-bat" pak works GREAT now after two adjustments. I soldered the resistor to the wire installed yesterday and placed PACKING PEANUTS where the batteries would go (to absorb misdirected vibrations). I actualy think the latter was the more critic step.
Current would bypass the resistor so the packing peanuts probably made the bigger difference. I'll have to give that a try myself.

The Rumble Pak mod is really worthwhile as it lessens the weight of the unit which in my humble opinion is/was its greatest shortcoming.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

August 16th, 2012, 11:16 pm #9

I'm definitely going to try this mod. Right now I only have an aftermarket rumble pak. Gonna get an OEM one then give it a shot.

September 12th, 2012, 6:08 pm #10

bluedogrulez wrote:It is possible to mod your N64 rumble pak to work without batteries. But first, a disclaimer:

I claim ZERO credit for this. Grizzmeister originally posted this video (in the N64 Collection discussion), and one of our resident modder extraordinaires, Clarky, confirmed it works. Clarky explained the positive wire that runs from the N64 to the controller is 3.3v, is an adequate replacement for the 3.0v the 2 AAA batteries would otherwise provide.

Here is the video of the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEn6LT4D ... r_embedded
sweet dude im going to try this tonight