RF outputs

Teach
Teach

October 17th, 2014, 1:03 pm #1

Hi guys, new member here.

Just recently dug out my retro beauties - N64, Sega Mega Drive ll and Sega aster System ll. Playing them again takes me back!

I've decided to keep them all out, and I want to have them all connected up. Took me long enough to remember how to tune in the channel, but got there in the end.

Anyway my question is as follows: How can I have them all connected?

As you guys are aware, all the 3 consoles use the RF output cables. I have been trying to find some sort of RF 4 channel switch box (tv, n64, mega, master) so that they can all be connected and I just flick a switch depending on what I would like to play.

Does this exist? I can't seem to find something like this. If not, are there other ways about it. thanks

kartmaster
Veteran

October 17th, 2014, 8:30 pm #2

Do you NEED to use RF? There are some better options for switching and better image quality if you go with composite or s-video.

If you want to stick with RF, a splitter can usually be used in the reverse direction as a combiner. (As long as it doesn't say "one way" or "isolation")

You will need to make sure you don't hook it up to a continuous signal like cable TV or over the air RF. You'll also need to make sure you only have one system on at a time. As all of the mentioned will produce massive interference and an unusable signal.

Also the splitter will reduce the dB level of the RF signal so you will be sending a weaker signal to the TV which will also reduce quality.

So this isn't the ideal solution, but if RF is your only choice, it can work.

Teach
Teach

October 18th, 2014, 6:49 pm #3

Yea I was about to go down the reverse splitter route until I read what you wrote! The consoles aren't really high quality to begin with so It would be nice to retain as much as I can. What is the other route I can take?

ATM i currently have the standard RF cables thats came with the consoles. What options do I have? thanks for the reply

kartmaster
Veteran

October 19th, 2014, 2:16 am #4

If you get at least composite cables for your systems you can have a simple switch to select the system you want to play. Here's what I would recommend at the least.

N64 Composite Cable
Mega Drive Composite Cable
Master System Cable
AV Switch

I didn't really shop around so you might be able to find better quality and/or prices on those cables.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Teach
Teach

October 19th, 2014, 5:06 pm #5

thanks bud. Yea I take it your from US? All the products were in $ lol I'm from UK. I hadn't considered the composite, if I get those cables its great because I won't even need a switch box as my tv has 2 scarts (can use the scart av adapters) and one side av input, so they can all have there own channel, and the tv aerial stays in no problem. Nice one kartmaster

kartmaster
Veteran

October 19th, 2014, 8:34 pm #6

Yep. I'm in the US. But we have several UK members so if you need help on more local sources for those cables I'm sure the guys here have some options for you!

Teach
Teach

October 20th, 2014, 8:08 am #7

yea ebays my friend. couple £ each. I'll update you when im done

CZroe
CZroe

March 1st, 2015, 11:02 pm #8

I'm confused!

First:
RF wouldn't be the preferred way to connect any of those consoles.

Second:
I've seen multiple RF switches (Master System, NES/SNES/N64, Genesis, etc) and they all seem to have a pass-through allowing you to daisy chain them.