Retrogate Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest

gamerjerome
Established Member
gamerjerome
Established Member

4:43 AM - Feb 12, 2017 #1

Reproduction carts my not be everyone's cup of tea but when I heard Retrogate, who's making their own custom N64 PCBs was selling a boxed version of Master Quest I decided to jump on the limited run. The first 10 they sold were numbered and had their own PCB with a Zelda logo. The rest had a different PCB they are going to be selling eventually for your own home brew games. I have the regular PCB.

I thought it was awesome that they made a box and manual for it as well so I picked one up right before they sold out. I asked Retro how many they made and they said only 30. They also made a blue cart version that did not come with a box or manual. Here are some pictures.

Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

5:49 AM - Feb 12, 2017 #2

Wow. I'm not even sure how to handle this. Friggen awesome.

Grizzmeister
Elite

3:45 PM - Feb 12, 2017 #3

I have no objection to reproduction carts as long as they're clearly identified and appropriately priced.

Selling printed circuit broads for N64 home brew? Does that mean that some people out there are developing their own N64 games? I guess that's not completely out of the question given that a new SNES/Famicom fighting game will probably be coming out later this year.

Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter
wrote:A lot of fighting games may be going back to their roots for gameplay, but this is as grassroot as things can really get.

According to multiple sites including Automaton and WWG, a team of former SNK developers that worked on the KOF series and were probably a part of the FatalFury/AOF R&D division are working on a new fighting game called Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter.

While it's not too uncommon to hear news on Ex-SNK developers returning to back fighting game development, the big surprise about this new title is that it's for the classic 1990s Super Famicom platform...

Keeping things genuinely Super Famicom, Unholy Night will be a 32mb cartridge, which was a popular capacity for the SNES during its later lifespan. Keep in mind that this is 32 Mega"bits", meaning that it's actually only 4 Megabytes--it's peanuts in the modern era where a single photo with a smartphone can be way larger. But lots of SFC/SNES games have packed a big punch back in their years, and hopefully we'll be seeing the same with this new potential gem for the year 2017.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

gamerjerome
Established Member
gamerjerome
Established Member

7:25 PM - Feb 19, 2017 #4

Grizzmeister wrote:Selling printed circuit broads for N64 home brew? Does that mean that some people out there are developing their own N64 games?
There are a few groups trying. Most of the development are hacks. I think that will turn into full games eventually. The n64 is not an easy system to program for and it took a developer like Rare to really push envelope. The PCB Retrogate is making will probably be use for things like this Zelda. Just another version of the game. I could see someone putting Goldeneye X on cart with a box and manual.

This is one game that is being worked on. Mario Run 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUycgOjJ5Xo
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

Cabanon
Elite

2:17 AM - Feb 21, 2017 #5

wow, thats really cool. I bet however the price was very high for a n64 homebrew.

Grizzmeister
Elite

2:48 AM - Feb 21, 2017 #6

I always thought it would have been interesting if Nintendo borrowed the Star Fox 64 game engine and made an aerial dogfighting game for the N64 featuring Mario and his Mushroom Kingdom posse. Something along the lines of Snoopy Flying Ace but with Mario themed arenas and power-ups. Hopefully somebody will take my idea and run with it using a Retrogate PCB. ^_^
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

MyBeefCakes
Established Member
MyBeefCakes
Established Member

10:33 AM - Feb 21, 2017 #7

Its there a feed somewhere I can subscribe to for when they make more custom repros? Really want one of those!

Grizzmeister
Elite

1:40 PM - Feb 21, 2017 #8

MyBeefCakes wrote:Its there a feed somewhere I can subscribe to for when they make more custom repros? Really want one of those!
I guess you can just follow the Retro Junkie World site but I'm pretty sure that what they're doing is illegal.

As I previously stated, I don't have a problem with reproductions as long as they're clearly identified. However, that doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't have an issue with it.

Also, if these reproductions aren't clearly labelled as such on the plastic cartridge exterior it's highly likely that they'll be misidentified in the future which will have serious impacts on the collector's market.

So I guess all the real rare N64 games are being held by collectors and the only way for third-parties to make money now is by selling counterfeits?

Cabanon
Elite

11:25 PM - Feb 21, 2017 #9

grizz, I think you got it wrong here. it's not reproduction, it's full homebrew. how would they label it reproduction if it's entirely a new game ? doesn't make any sense to me.

Grizzmeister
Elite

11:41 PM - Feb 21, 2017 #10

Cabanon wrote:grizz, I think you got it wrong here. it's not reproduction, it's full homebrew. how would they label it reproduction if it's entirely a new game ? doesn't make any sense to me.
Are we still talking about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest? That's not a new game but rather one that was released on the GameCube. Somebody just ported it to the N64 and is making money off of Nintendo's work.