stinger9142
Guardian

December 29th, 2012, 9:03 pm #11

I am glad you guys seem understanding. I don't like banning people either, it is the un-fun part of the job.

He wasn't ALL bad. Over the last year he had a habit of emoticon only replies as well as a plethora of replies that added nothing to the discussion. Many replies were off topic as well. Those are technically rule violations, but the kind of stuff nobody really harps on if it isn't a barrage of it. The derogatory personal attack prompted the pm, so I discussed the 3 rules he broke specifically with his post as well as the ones he had a pattern of breaking. Instead of compliance, he continued to harp about the issue he was told to drop.

I hope that gives you guys a better understanding of why we reached this decision. He had chances. Both of my pm's to him ended with plainly saying that if he didn't follow the rules, he would be gone. He didn't acknowledge I said it either time, and chose to make yet another derogatory and "contribute nothing" reply this morning before the vote. The derogatory one has since been deleted.

I didn't really intend to divulge so many details. Truthfully though, the staff has nothing to hide. I wouldn't want people thinking we did someone unfairly.

I will refrain from mentioning what his threat was.

Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

December 30th, 2012, 9:08 am #12

How you are adressing this shows how mature the staff is, you guys are respecting him even though he is banned, thats admirable. Normally staff might put the person on blast but you guys aren't, pretty awesome.
Simply Subscribe For My Love:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Crumpocalypse

Phantom
Veteran

December 30th, 2012, 9:29 am #13

I Think You Handled The Situation Very Well You Tried Explaining The Rules To Him But Ignored You, And No One Should Be Threatened On This Forum Or Any Forum For That Matter, Good Choice Admins :yeah:

jonebone
jonebone

December 30th, 2012, 1:21 pm #14

Good decision, he was an obvious troll. I've seen him post on other forums in a similar manner and each of his posts were ridiculous. The forum will be much cleaner without him.

stinger9142
Guardian

December 30th, 2012, 3:21 pm #15

jonebone wrote:he was an obvious troll.
Funny you say that - during staff talks, his behavior was described as "troolish" :lol:

Thanks for the support guys.

NintendoLuke99
NintendoLuke99

December 30th, 2012, 3:39 pm #16

thatys too bad. at least you tried to change his ways. the one thing i love about n64 forever is that there are almost no trolls and the staff are very friendly(on YouTube DEFINATLEY a different story got a ton of trolls(mostly gligar13vids that jerk) and got messages saying that you should commit suicide not even gonna explain the other things because that would be too inappropriate for this forum and also got bashed by gligar13vids because i have autism) and when i found this website i found that there were no trolls and the people were very friendly. so when i joined this i found it a safe haven from the trolls and other things about YouTube) i think you handled this very maturely so not gonna say anything bad
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Grizzmeister
Elite

December 30th, 2012, 6:24 pm #17

The admin staff here at Nintendo 64 Forever really is amazing. They're unparallel in their wisdom and courage as exemplified by the fact that they allow me to continue my Targeted in America thread despite the controversial nature of the topic. Early on some long standing and prominent members argued that my thread was out of place here and could only hurt this site overall. The admins are continually vindicated in their decision to allow the thread to remain as membership here at N64 Forever has literally doubled since I started sharing the story and the daily post count remains quite high. Bravo to the moderators of Nintendo 64 Forever for your deft handling or potentially sticky situations! :applause:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

stinger9142
Guardian

December 30th, 2012, 11:41 pm #18

Yes, the web is full of trolls.

Grizz, it bordered on causing conflict at first. We were apprehensive, but let it go on because you handle it the right way. People were rude at times, and you still were polite back to them. Occasionally we will get a new member who is put off by it, but it has been a pretty successful topic. It even garnered some nominations for thread of the year if I recall correctly. Props to you for the way you handle yourself in that thread!

I am all for free speech, just not conflict and tension ;)

Cabanon
Elite

December 31st, 2012, 12:07 am #19

just a question and if you dont want to answer, im fine with that.

how are you guys banning a user ? a you banning him by username ? user IP ? location ?

it could be very easy to just come back with a different username and troll again

stinger9142
Guardian

December 31st, 2012, 12:15 am #20

No problem. Some bans are more comprehensive. His was to the highest degree we are able. All his IP's are banned, his email is banned, his account has a general ban and is closed as well. It is not fool proof, I am sure a dedicated individual would find a way.

For extra caution I used geolocation on his IP addresses. I currently check this location against all new members for some time to ensure, as much as possible, that he is not coming back.