Recommend a S-Video cable

deal
deal

August 24th, 2017, 11:28 am #1

Can you recommend a really good S-Video cable for the N64? I keep reading different things. I've read there are a lot of junk cables out there. Some show a square pattern on the screen, etc.

I've also read to make sure to get one that has the "yellow" separate composite connector. Then I've read not to, but to instead get a cable that does NOT have a "yellow" connector but only red/white and the S-Video.

Which is the best cable to get?

Any recommendations on those cables that are selling on eBay?

I'm looking at getting a dedicated S-Video cable for my N64. Someone out of town is selling a 20" flat screen CRT TV that has S-Video input. I believe this is the best picture you will get on an N64 without mods??

I've not played on a CRT TV in a while, but I've only ever used the ANT input when playing in the 80's/90's and seems that is the worst way to play it.

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

August 31st, 2017, 7:01 am #2

All I can say is that the regular AV cables aer crap when they are aftermarket, and so I bet will the aftermarket S-video ones. So whatever you decide to get, hunt down a genuine, even if it is second hand...

Grizzmeister
Elite

August 31st, 2017, 12:23 pm #3

Monster S-Video cables are often considered the best for the SNES/N64/GameCube but they've gotten crazy expensive lately.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

sanni
sanni

August 31st, 2017, 12:33 pm #4

If you got an NTSC N64 then you could try this original Super Famicom S-Video cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-S-V ... 2845592165?

Considering that it comes with the box the price feels very good.

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

September 1st, 2017, 7:36 am #5

Grizzmeister wrote:Monster S-Video cables are often considered the best for the SNES/N64/GameCube but they've gotten crazy expensive lately.
:o

:cussfit:, that's more than a Gamecube! Can't imagine you could go wrong with that original Nintendo cable, price does seem reasonable...

andyk2003
Established Member
andyk2003
Established Member

September 1st, 2017, 10:07 pm #6

I bought the Monster cable along with both variants of the official cable - the Monster cable is no better than the official ones.

1985gamer

January 12th, 2018, 10:46 pm #7

I just want to chime in with the S Video cable that is newly available to UK N64/GC owners from http://www.consolegoods.co.uk

Mine arrived this week and is a MASSIVE improvement over the composite S Video cable I was using previously. It's like my console had had the RGB mod is incredible, the previous cable had awful saturation and washout. Bargain at £8.80 posted, he also supplies a different one for NTSC machines if that's what you're after.

gaavoid
gaavoid

January 26th, 2018, 1:40 am #8

1985gamer wrote:I just want to chime in with the S Video cable that is newly available to UK N64/GC owners from http://www.consolegoods.co.uk

Mine arrived this week and is a MASSIVE improvement over the composite S Video cable I was using previously. It's like my console had had the RGB mod is incredible, the previous cable had awful saturation and washout. Bargain at £8.80 posted, he also supplies a different one for NTSC machines if that's what you're after.
I bought an S-Video cable from that store a couple of years ago (for NTSC).
I ended up throwing it away and getting an official one from Japan because it gave me an image with the checkerboard effect over the entire screen.