Project M

Grizzmeister
Elite

4:25 AM - Jan 06, 2013 #1

For those of you who are in to the Super Smash Bros. franchise, a new mod for the Wii version Brawl has recently been made available to the public. It's called Project M and you can download the newest iteration v2.5 here.

Project M download page

Basically Project M makes Brawl play more like its GameCube predecessor Melee which in most people's minds is a very good thing. If nothing else Project M is notable because it better balances the characters and gets rid of the much dreaded "tripping" mechanic which SSB fans around the world universally despised.

In case you're wondering, I'm a big fan of the SSB series having even gone as far as to import a Japanese copy of Dairantou Smash Brothers 64 and modding it to play on a North American N64 console. Here's a photo.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Xephyrian
Veteran

4:27 AM - Jan 06, 2013 #2

I've heard about this mod and I wish i had a Wii to play it on. Looks pretty cool. I also imported a copy of Dairantou Smash Brothers and it's on the way to my house from Japan now :D

Grizzmeister
Elite

4:52 AM - Jan 06, 2013 #3

Gooman130 wrote:I also imported a copy of Dairantou Smash Brothers and it's on the way to my house from Japan now :D
I consider my copy one of my most prized video game possessions.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Xephyrian
Veteran

5:00 AM - Jan 06, 2013 #4

I love my Japanese games too, I have Kirby 64 and Bomberman 64 Jap CIB and Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Mario 64 cart only on the way :lol: Already got UGC for them and everything. :dance:

Matt
Elite

6:57 PM - Jan 06, 2013 #5

Sadly no PAL support :(

Grizzmeister
Elite

7:38 PM - Jan 06, 2013 #6

Matt wrote:Sadly no PAL support :(
Sorry.

It might not be that big a deal if you prefer Brawl's gameplay over that of Melee.

Youneedabath

1:08 AM - Oct 13, 2013 #7

This is dope, i would freak out if they modded N64's smash to run the same.
Leave luck to heaven, leave dinner to pop.

Grizzmeister
Elite

7:46 PM - Jan 25, 2014 #8

Project M 3.01 is now available and it's the best version of this amazing mod yet. It's so good, in fact, that I went back and tried to play Melee today and it felt subpar by comparison.

Super Smash Bros. 4 is going to be released this year on the Wii U and I'm sure everyone will be comparing it to Project M it terms of competitiveness.

Matt
Elite

2:53 AM - Jan 26, 2014 #9

After watching some gameplay of Project M, I must say i'm rather tempted to import a US copy of brawl...

I hope that there are similar mods for Smash 4 if the Wii U does get hacked

Grizzmeister
Elite

4:06 AM - Jan 26, 2014 #10

Matt wrote:After watching some gameplay of Project M, I must say i'm rather tempted to import a US copy of brawl...
I wouldn't bother unless you have somebody else who is relatively good at the game to play against. The genius of Project M mostly shines through in multi-player although I must admit that some of the new stages are worth experiencing even if you have to do so alone.

Tour of Super Smash Bros - Project M 3.02