July 27th, 2016, 10:54 pm #11

Karsty5 wrote:I personally have never played a PS2, but there must be some games in it's huge library that I would like! Thinking of getting one just for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
Certainly can't go wrong with one. The consoles are pretty cheap these days as are a vast amount of the games. Pretty much every genre is covered too.

The Red Shadow
Guardian

July 28th, 2016, 12:41 am #12

The PS2 is my second favorite console of all time and it could almost top my list as it is backwards compatible with my top console, the original PlayStation. It had some amazing games including my second all time favorite game, Shadow of the Colossus, but also a lot of overlooked gems like Downhill Domination, Dog's Life, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and so many more. And of course there are the stalwarts of the system like the Metal Gear Solid games, the Grand Theft Auto series, God of Wars, Kingdom Hearts, the Final Fantasy games (and a ton of other great JRPGs) and the list goes on and on. While the PS1 came along at such an opportune time for me to live it up and game all day, the PS2 came along when I had to be a little bit more of an adult and therefore it was my escape and I leaned on it quite a bit for about 8 years. Yeah, I'm a PS2 fan, for sure. :yeah:

Cabanon
Elite

July 28th, 2016, 3:26 am #13

I picked up a new unit in 2004 I Think when I sold one of my car but had to sell to pick up a 1st model ps3 with backward capability. fast forward to 2012 I think, I bought a used slim unit for 30$ with couple of games and guitar then 6 months later, I picked up a brand new silver slim unit for 50$. So in case the one im using right now gets broken, I have a backup unit that is minty fresh.

NFS Series was at it's best. Underground 2 being the one I played the most (need to redo it)
Guitar Hero was the game that made me buy a ps2, before that I despised Sony (lol)
DDR was also a no-brainer for my wife & I, we started to play again since we have our home now and don't bother neighours hehe

kartmaster
Veteran

July 28th, 2016, 4:15 am #14

Man, great thread and reading your stories brings back memories. I have a lot of good feelings about the PS2, but I hate writing on my phone....

For now, I'll just say that I bought it for GranTourismo 3, and Final Fantasy X became one of my favorite games of all time.

Bamboozled
Veteran

July 28th, 2016, 4:16 am #15

The PlayStation 2 may as well be my favorite console of all time, maybe next to the N64, which I have limited experience with although love. As Milage said, it had a solid library and it's library has everything to appeal to everyone.

CobraMJD
Established Member
CobraMJD
Established Member

July 28th, 2016, 6:26 am #16

In each post a new set of great game has been cited, just to prove the great library PS2 had.

Just to complement, I used to play a lot of Winning Eleven, Soul Calibur, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, and many many others, along with the others already cited.

But for a different less know and great game, I recommend you all to see a little game related to that N64 racing game Penny Racers, it is called on PS2 as Road Trip (Road Trip Advevnture in Europe) or ChoroQ HG2 in Japan.

It is not a normal racing game, you drive freely on a open world visiting cities, talking with others mini-cars, entering in races, collection items, doing missions, etc, almost a RPG. It is great, a love that game.

The car's radio only has 4 musics sadly, but it is really enjoying travelling. See the video.
https://youtu.be/dmE-ghytPAY

:n64: : 3/296
:n64: : 30/198
:n64: : 2/???

July 28th, 2016, 7:19 am #17

That does sound like good fun. I do enjoy a good racing game although I haven't played any of the ChoroQ/Penny Racers series.

The White Falcon
The White Falcon

July 28th, 2016, 1:47 pm #18

I had my first PS2 nearly eleven years before I sold it. Finally got a Phat again this year and I won't be selling it. :)

I had a blast with Jak and Daxter, Battlefront II, Gran Turismo 3. This go round I've been enjoying Code Veronica X among other games.

Cabanon
Elite

July 28th, 2016, 4:32 pm #19

CobraMJD wrote:
[+] Spoiler
In each post a new set of great game has been cited, just to prove the great library PS2 had.

Just to complement, I used to play a lot of Winning Eleven, Soul Calibur, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, and many many others, along with the others already cited.

But for a different less know and great game, I recommend you all to see a little game related to that N64 racing game Penny Racers, it is called on PS2 as Road Trip (Road Trip Advevnture in Europe) or ChoroQ HG2 in Japan.

It is not a normal racing game, you drive freely on a open world visiting cities, talking with others mini-cars, entering in races, collection items, doing missions, etc, almost a RPG. It is great, a love that game.

The car's radio only has 4 musics sadly, but it is really enjoying travelling. See the video.
https://youtu.be/dmE-ghytPAY
looks like NFS is. open world racing.

CobraMJD
Established Member
CobraMJD
Established Member

July 28th, 2016, 5:03 pm #20

Cabanon wrote:looks like NFS is. open world racing.
Well to be fair, Road Trip as released before NFS go Open World, but nah, the similarity ends here, the game itself is nothing like it. (I love they did it, the first NFS Open World was very simple and :pottymouth:, but the HP for PS3 it's very cool, I spent hours "just driving").

I wished at least the controls could be more like NFS, but Road Trip has more elements to be a RPG, you literaly touch another car on the streets then talks with them. X_D

:n64: : 3/296
:n64: : 30/198
:n64: : 2/???