Play an N64 game...

dagoss
Elite

April 4th, 2008, 9:54 pm #1

We don't always have time for the N64, but on this Nintendo 64 DayTM, let's make time to play an N64 game for at least 30 minutes! You'll be doing your part for N64dom!

So tomorrow, stalk random citizens in Clock Town, beat your high score for Corneria, see how many power stars you can find in an hour, talk to Pikachu, or try to figure out what the hell is happening in Sin & Punishment. Then come back here and tell me what you played and what you did when you played it! Maybe we'll all play something different.

The N64 has the best gold to crap ratio of any system ever made, bar none -- so let's celebrate its awesomeness by, you know, playing with it.

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 4th, 2008, 11:07 pm #2

Some Pilotwings perhaps, Mr Goss?

dataDyne
Elite

April 4th, 2008, 11:48 pm #3

Stalking random citizens in Clock Town? Count me in.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Mop it up
Guardian

April 5th, 2008, 12:51 am #4

I've never played Majora's Mask on an actual N64, I played it on the GameCube, so maybe I'll play that tomorrow. My copy has a 100% completed file on it, so now I can actually see the REAL ending.

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 5th, 2008, 2:53 pm #5

Okay, it's now April 5th in the UK so I've started playing my N64. I'm gonna play a few N64 games today so I won't be spending all that much time on a single game. I wondered which one I should start with and, of course, it has to be the game which defines the console. The game that launched a thousand spinoffs. The best selling game for the N64. Yeah, Super Mario 64. :D

I started a new file a few months ago and I haven't got very far (only twenty stars in four months) so I decided to see play the next star in Cool, Cool Mountain. I'm instantly drawn back in. Super Mario 64 was and is so darned amazing. It may look a little basic now but it still feels new and Mario moves so well... even on ice and snow. And the music is great. This level has a really catchy tune (Mrs Alxbly started humming it almost instantly as she walked past) although my favorite music is still the Jolly Roger Bay song. It's beautiful. ;_;

The star I was after was 8 red coins. I found them all but couldn't remember how you got to the star. Eventually I remembered that you just do a long jump from the platform opposite. So, mission accomplished and time to move on to another N64 game.

Goldeneye's my next choice. That's the game that kept me interested in the N64 long after Super Mario 64 had been finished. Actually, Goldeneye kept interested long after I'd finished it and my other N64 games. I played it endlessly; all the multiplayer levels and checking out the secrets with my Action Replay. It felt like there were new things to do almost every month, right up until Perfect Dark came out.

Anyway, i decided to play a level I haven't played in years. Normally when I play Goldeneye I pick one of my favorite levels; Facility, Water Caverns and Aztec get played regulary. Today I choose a level I wasn't all that keen on; the Statue Park. My first impression is that Goldeneye is slow. I wonder if my controller is worn but then remember that it was working perfectly for Super Mario 64. So I try a bit of strafe-running. It still feels slow. I guess this is just because I'm playing First person Shooter games where running is more obvious; Call of Duty 4 for example. It's probably not that much quicker but running in Goldeneye somehow doesn't feel like running anymore.

Anyway, I quickly get over this and get into the level. I'm playing on Agent so the bad guys can't hit me for crap. Was Agent always this easy? Perhaps. I shoot a lot of them (do they respawn here? It seems like they do...) and move forward, getting lost occasionally. I find Valentin and laugh at his funny eyes. I move on and notice there's an image of a man on a stone. I can't remember that from before... surely I would have noticed it?

Onwards to the statue and I meet up with Alec. Those shotgun guns DO actually hurt you and their aim is much better than the others. Okay, three minutes until the helicopter blows up so I need to rescue Natalya. :cussfit:, can I remeber the way back? Well, yes I can. I make it with over a minute to spare even though I stopped to shoot some bad guys. Save Natalya, get the flight recorder and back over to the gates. Natalya's been captured! *pretend shock*

I wait for the gates to open. They don't. Do I need to open them? Yes, I do. Oops. Ah well, level over. It'll no doubt be another few years before I play it again...
^_^

dagoss
Elite

April 5th, 2008, 4:22 pm #6

What the -- ? I don't remember ever seeing that face on the stone before. This is news to me!

I started N64 Day off on the wrong foot. I opened a controller yesterday for cleaning and lubrication. After reassembling it, I played through Corneria and it worked fine. Well today, I went to play Sin & Punishment, and after about 10 seconds, the control stick stopped responding. I took it apart several times, and all the gears are in their proper places. Perhaps I shorted something? Perhaps the lubricant I used damaged the controller? Either way, it was my favorite charcoal controller. :(

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 5th, 2008, 4:35 pm #7

dagoss wrote: Well today, I went to play Sin & Punishment, and after about 10 seconds, the control stick stopped responding.  I took it apart several times, and all the gears are in their proper places.  Perhaps I shorted something?  Perhaps the lubricant I used damaged the controller?  Either way, it was my favorite charcoal controller. :(
What lubricant did you use? To me it sounds like the little blue connector isn't reconnected properly. I mean this bit:

Open it up again and check. Don't worry, I'm sure that whatever is wrong is fixable. :)

*Sigh* If only there was a contest where you could win a brand new controller... :P

dagoss
Elite

April 5th, 2008, 4:45 pm #8

I'll have to check that when I get home this evening. I suspect that connector is fine however, as the controller sort of works. You know how if you hold the control stick at an angle when you boot up the system, it doesn't calibrate properly? It is acting sort of like that, except less responsive. Perhaps oil (I bought the cheapest kind I could find :o) found its way into the places that sense the axis movement. Or something.

I see in that contest The StYoung and I are tied! If only I had contributed as much to N64dom as God!

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 5th, 2008, 6:25 pm #9

Firstly...
dagoss wrote:Perhaps oil (I bought the cheapest kind I could find :o) found its way into the places that sense the axis movement.
Get the controller opened up and wash the oil off with soapy water. You need a lubricant that's specifically made for plastics. Anything oil based is likely to react with the plastic and ruin your control stick.
dagoss wrote:You know how if you hold the control stick at an angle when you boot up the system, it doesn't calibrate properly? It is acting sort of like that, except less responsive.
Is it worse in one direction or is equally as bad in all directions. Are you sure the gearings are correctly asssembled? Also, check the spring. If this slips then the control stick won't self-centre and there's no force behind the movement meaning that it's greatly impaired. Make sure the plastic ring which sits on top of the spring has the inside lip facing towards the spring.

Here's a photo of how it should look, with the smaller plastic arc attached.

macN64
macN64

April 5th, 2008, 7:52 pm #10

This is the first I've seen of this topic, but luckily, I've already played some body harvest today.

For some reason, I decided to play through Greece again - fast! My target time was to finish it in under a hour. I think I was heading for the generator about 80 minutes in. All the way though I referred to my self as "the lousy hero". The casualty bar was like 70% full because I tried to ignore the harvesters in the first stage. Bad idea! I had a close encounter with a mutant, but got away with it.
Anyway, all was going well. I beat the generator with relative ease and then fought the boss... and died. >_<

Never mind. I opened my real file that was near the end (on the comet). I had a few cracks at a boss I've been stuck on for years - and won! Love those missiles. :wub: After saving, I continued and came up against another boss... and died. :rolleyes: