MymeeN64
MymeeN64

January 25th, 2017, 6:16 pm #1061

I sucked pretty good at it! Haha when i play it looks more like pong then racing!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

bluedogrulez
Guardian

January 25th, 2017, 6:32 pm #1062

@italia: I an enamored with Ridge Racer's first person view...but my racing skills do not translate probably because I do not understand RR's slide mechanic. When I use it, my car starts tilting uncontrollably from one side to the next. When I race without sliding, I suspect it costs me too much time. Really wish I was better at it so I could enjoy that first person view some more (and unlock those sweet rides you unlocked!)
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

italia64
Veteran

January 26th, 2017, 9:04 am #1063

bluedogrulez wrote:@italia: I an enamored with Ridge Racer's first person view...but my racing skills do not translate probably because I do not understand RR's slide mechanic. When I use it, my car starts tilting uncontrollably from one side to the next. When I race without sliding, I suspect it costs me too much time. Really wish I was better at it so I could enjoy that first person view some more (and unlock those sweet rides you unlocked!)
Hey boss

The 100% is very near, only 3 Z-Class races missing and after the Ultra 64 will be mine.

Until yesterday I did everything with the 3rd person view, but yesterday I tried the first person view enough, because I noticed that on YouTube almost everybody used it and everybody complained about the difficult in 3rd person view.
Well, I have to say that with the FPS the game is even better! It's faster and it's more easy to avoid collision with other cars and walls. This gave me a great sense of accomplishment because I did everything in TPS.

About your problem with the powerslides, there is a solution, or better two.

First solution, you can avoid powerslides. Never stop to press A button and use the B button. Not every curve requires to brake, just give a quick tap for the fast curves and a strong brake before tight corners.
The last two races, the most difficult ones, don't require braking, not even one time, and not even powerslides. You just have to try to avoid walls going at the maximum speed.

Second solution, set RR64 powerslides behaviour (or just don't change it, it's the default one I seem), and before the the corners stop pressing A and let your car slide. It's a mix beetween the Ridge Racer classic slide and the Wipeout autopilot. In fact usually the car never hit walls during powerslides if you did the first part right (entry in the corner), escpacially during the spectacular 360 degrees one.
To be honest I didn't master the powerslides, I prefer the normal brakes, or to try not to brake at all testing the car's limits.
It's difficult to keep the control of the car after some powerslides, you have to work with the thumbstick, better with the brakes strategy.

By the way you can go far in the Grand Prix mode even without slides, and you can beat the game even without them.

italia64
Veteran

January 26th, 2017, 6:04 pm #1064

The "100%" is arrived.
Just one thing is missing, the 00-Agent car. It's easy to unlock, but it requires two players. So I have to wait for that one.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 28th, 2017, 8:20 am #1065

I beat Rayman 2 for the first time tonight. It wasn't as fun for me as people make it out to be but then again I'm a Rocket Robot on Wheels Fanboy so what do I know. It's just linear and a little slow for my liking. Still a good game though just not one I'm gonna revisit anytime soon.

The credits :pottymouth: out to the Tonic Trouble team which is another game I'll get around to eventually. It's probably the only 3D platformer on the system that I haven't played yet.

italia64
Veteran

January 28th, 2017, 9:46 am #1066

Unfortunately I can't play N64 this weekend. Unless I manage to find another controller soon.

I love Rayman 2, it's my favourite platform on the system out of the Nintendo/Rare circle. Tonic Trouble is shorter and easier (and Rayman 2 is not very long and challenging).

Here's a list of the N64 platforms, it contains even the few 2D and 2.5D games. What I forgot?

Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon
Goemon's Great Adventure (Mystical Ninja 2)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Yoshi's Story
Space Station Silicon Valley
Donald Duck Quack Attack (Goin' Quakers in the USA)
Tonic Trouble
Glover
Chameleon Twist
Chameleon Twist 2
Earthworm Jim 3D
Disney's Tarzan
Toy Story 2 Buzz Lightyear to the rescue
Duck Dodgers starring Daffy Duck
Gex 64: Enter the Gecko
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Starshot: Space Circus Fever
Bomberman Hero
Rugrats in Paris: the Movie
Tigger's Honey Hunt
A Bug's Life
Blues Brothers 2000
Taz Express
Doreaemon
Doraemon 2
Doraemon 3

Definitely the best console ever for 3D platforms.

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

January 28th, 2017, 10:19 am #1067

Man it sucks that you can't play for a week. Italia without n64 is like Da Vinci without a paintbrush. The passion and skill present just can't be expressed any other way... That list seems to cover them all, with a few games that are more like Adventure games like Doraemon and Mystical Ninja for good measure. Rugrats in Paris is mostly a minigame collection though, unless there is some platform parts I haven't seen.

I get torn on which platform game is my favorite on the console. Mischief Makers and Goemon 2 are both excellent sidescrollers. Mario 64 was one of, if not the first game I ever played and it never gets old to me. Rocket and Space Station Silicon Valley are both gems that I've played to death and wish more people knew about. I even have soft spots for Chameleon Twist 1 & 2, Toy Story 2, and Starshot even though they have their issues.

Platformers brought me back to this system in 2014. I had never played Banjo-Kazooie so I dug my n64 out of my garage along with Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, and Mario Party 2 which were the only games I had. I started buying back games from when I was young and bought Banjo-Kazooie, played it, and loved it. I started looking up hidden gem lists to find more platformers I never played, then games from other genres. Now I'm here 2 years in playing games like Wonder Project J2, Fighters Destiny and Golden Nugget Goldeneye. All the great platformers are just 1 of the reasons the N64 is still a celebrated console. The list of platformers looks pretty :pottymouth: but they are all unique and fun in their own ways and many are definatly some of the best around. That's not counting Blues Brothers 2000 of course.

italia64
Veteran

January 29th, 2017, 4:24 pm #1068

Luckily I managed to find an used controller on OLX (I had to buy the console and a game too!). The thumbstick was very loose, so I took the cardboard from the controller and I put it on mine.

I played FIFA 99. Not good as ISS but definitely still a great soccer game. I played it so many hours with my brother and a friend of mine back in days.

MymeeN64
MymeeN64

January 29th, 2017, 5:13 pm #1069

Italia, you dont have a handful of controllers laying about here and there? How do you play with your friends?! :eh:

Last night my brother came over and I watched him play Resident Evil 2 and then some Starfox. Of course at the end of Starfox you see this screen...

(Pardon his weird snap chat bottom lol)

So I say 'Hey Ryan, we should divide 33920 by 530 to see how many points each bad guy was..... after some simple math we got.... 64! :facepalm:

Hahaha! We should of known! I Iaughed so hard! What a good time :) thank you :n64: !
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

italia64
Veteran

January 29th, 2017, 5:32 pm #1070

I perfectly remember the invoice in the end of Star Fox 64, and when you push the A button there is also the rubber-stamp, very nice.
But great you discovered the "64" thing :-P

I have several controllers, but I'm living abroad and here I just have one :-(