=THANS=
=THANS=

5:16 AM - Jan 22, 2016 #61

I also ran a few test using this cable for people who don't have a TV that supports S-Video.
I used a S-video to Composite convertor this is the link to the one I used- http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Soun ... r/p/PA3578
The results where great tested it on the 3 TV's I have a NEC 32 inch LCD TV,a 52cm CRT Sanyo TV, and a 22inch LG LCD Monitor/TV
No image quality loss remained the same as if you had it plug in as S-video.
Please note the Cable I tested this with is fully grounded and wire correctly for PAL N64.
hope this helps you guys out.

FoamCow
FoamCow

10:34 AM - Jan 27, 2016 #62

I also too want some advice on S-video cables. Can someone please tell me whether S-Video is the best picture quality (through their own experience) and where to obtain the right ones. Plenty on eBay,it's just a question which one to buy. (PAL)

bluedogrulez
Guardian

2:59 PM - Jan 27, 2016 #63

@FoamCow: My experience (here in NTSC land) is that with a regular N64 console, on an old CRTV, S-Video cables are much better than composite or RF. I bought a cheapo one off Amazon (US) for $7 bucks shipped and it performs the same as my $40 official S-Video cable.

However, we have a tread about certain funtastic N64 consoles (not ice blue) that produce a brighter, sharper image (they contain a certain motherboard revision). So for my Jungle Green (the N64 console I use), the composite and S-Video imagines are very comparable.

If you are trying to hook up to an HDTV that is a whole other ball of wax.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

FoamCow
FoamCow

4:36 PM - Jan 27, 2016 #64

bluedogrulez wrote:@FoamCow: My experience (here in NTSC land) is that with a regular N64 console, on an old CRTV, S-Video cables are much better than composite or RF. I bought a cheapo one off Amazon (US) for $7 bucks shipped and it performs the same as my $40 official S-Video cable.

However, we have a tread about certain funtastic N64 consoles (not ice blue) that produce a brighter, sharper image (they contain a certain motherboard revision). So for my Jungle Green (the N64 console I use), the composite and S-Video imagines are very comparable.

If you are trying to hook up to an HDTV that is a whole other ball of wax.
@bluedogrulez do you know if the funtastic consoles being a supierer picture is just with NTSC consoles or is it multi region in that manner? Really considering buying a funtastic console as it is and with this in mind (albeit if it applies) would make for even more reason to buy one.

Bamboozled
Veteran

4:58 PM - Jan 27, 2016 #65

FoamCow
FoamCow

5:50 PM - Jan 27, 2016 #66

@Bamboozled thank you! That's brilliant. Do you yourself have the coloured n64?

Bamboozled
Veteran

8:17 PM - Jan 27, 2016 #67

No, I've got a boring old grey charcoal. :coffee:
Looking into an Ice Blue, though!

gaavoid
gaavoid

5:17 PM - Jul 03, 2016 #68

Hello!
I've recently bought an official S-Video cable and I'm still getting a slight checkerboard effect on parts of the image/textures. Is this normal or is there something still not right?

Off screen photos in spoilers:
Cable:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Prior to this I was using a cable which I bought off eBay that was advertised as being the next best thing to an official cable and would produce no checkerboard effect. While it was far better than the one I had been using before (which had the effect over the whole picture) it still had the effect on certain textures and colours, much like the official one but ever so slightly more pronounced. The eBay feedback for this cable was overwhelmingly positive and I assumed I had just received a dodgy one, but since I'm still getting it with an official one I'm now wondering if it's my N64. (I've tested on multiple (LCD/LED) TV sets but don't have another N64 to try on.)
The motherboard revision of my Japanese N64 is version 5 which I've read is the only revision to include the AVDC-NUS chip. Thinking it might be a problem with this particular motherboard revision, I've ordered a clear blue Japanese console (the one with the clear white bottom); which will hopefully be something other than revision 5. Will have it in a few days.

It could be that the effect to this degree is normal and I've just bought another N64 for no reason before asking you guys for your advice. To me it doesn't seem normal, but I have very little experience with S-Video.
Overall it's not bad and is way ahead of composite in clarity, but is very obvious and distracting in F-Zero X in particular and noticeable on particle effects like smoke and dust in racing games (Mickey's Speedway USA) or when Mario jumps and lands in Super Mario 64 (which is too difficult to time and take a photo of).

Thoughts? Help? :)

EDIT: Received my clear blue N64. Motherboard revision 8-1. Image is exactly the same.

So this is just how the N64 looks on modern TVs with S-Video? Little bit disappointed. Might look into an RGB mod or maybe just getting a 20 inch CRT.

Seems like composite just hides the checkerboard/triangular/netting effect by the compressed image blur associated with it. Some high quality S-Video cables are better at hiding it but it's still there underneath.

I really thought it would be gone entirely with the official cable.