swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

September 8th, 2014, 8:22 pm #21

You should do a comparison of both cables by having one connected and then quickly switching to the other. The only major difference I've seen between S-Video cables is the presence of that checkerboard pattern.
Quote
Like
Share

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm

September 8th, 2014, 9:06 pm #22

swaaye wrote:You should do a comparison of both cables by having one connected and then quickly switching to the other. The only major difference I've seen between S-Video cables is the presence of that checkerboard pattern.
Oh yeah I did that. The difference is subjective I think.

It's not like going from 480i to HD or anything so some would call the differences minor but I call them major IMO.

The color pops much more. Less blurriness. Hi Rez games using expansion pack look almost 480p.

My comparison cable is pretty crappy though. I'm using a universal s video with the composite as well. I've heard those are really composite and not s video even though they have a s video connection.

So I don't have another dedicated s video only wire to compare but from my research on the web only Nintendo's official s video cable compares to the monster one and even then i've read the monster one is slightly better.

I heard the innovation one is good but a notch below the Nintendo and Monster brand.

Anything with the yellow composite cable supposedly is crap and not even S video. That would explain the sub par image when I use that cable.

Also the Nintendo 64 itself produces a weird effect at times on the image. I see it on really sharp games like rogue squadron using the monster cable. I know is the N64 because you can see it on the virtual console as well. for example starfox 64.
Quote
Like
Share

Cabanon
Elite
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 11:57 pm

September 8th, 2014, 10:57 pm #23

Kobeskillz wrote:Donkey Kong Country is just gorgeous and after years of looking at it all pixelated on my Wii/WiiU on an HDTV to finally see it like I remember and even better was a joy.
I wanna see pictures of that. This game series always looked fantastic. if it does indeed bump the quality, I might check for one.
Quote
Like
Share

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

September 9th, 2014, 12:07 am #24

Kobeskillz wrote:My comparison cable is pretty crappy though. I'm using a universal s video with the composite as well. I've heard those are really composite and not s video even though they have a s video connection.
I checked my universal svideo+composite cable and it is actually wired for svideo properly. The luma and chroma are separate and wired to the right pins on the Nintendo connector. Same with the Ultra composite+svideo cable I have. The Nintendo connector has pins for chroma, luma, and a separate composite so it would be pretty strange for someone to wire that up wrong.

Also yeah I do see the improved color and sharpness. But with the Madcatz Ultra cable a checkerboard pattern appears over most colors. It fades away sometimes. I don't know what the cause is but it must be some kind of noise, ground or crosstalk problem. It's not a simple wiring issue. The Ultra cable seems like it's high quality so it's really strange that it is the worse of the two!
Quote
Like
Share

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm

September 9th, 2014, 12:29 am #25

swaaye wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:My comparison cable is pretty crappy though. I'm using a universal s video with the composite as well. I've heard those are really composite and not s video even though they have a s video connection.
I checked my universal svideo+composite cable and it is actually wired for svideo properly. The luma and chroma are separate and wired to the right pins on the Nintendo connector. Same with the Ultra composite+svideo cable I have. The Nintendo connector has pins for chroma, luma, and a separate composite so it would be pretty strange for someone to wire that up wrong.

Also yeah I do see the improved color and sharpness. But with the Madcatz Ultra cable a checkerboard pattern appears over most colors. It fades away sometimes. I don't know what the cause is but it must be some kind of noise, ground or crosstalk problem. It's not a simple wiring issue. The Ultra cable seems like it's high quality so it's really strange that it is the worse of the two!
Yeah I believe me and you have the same multi wire but compare to the monster it just pales. Not sure if mine is wired incorrectly or what.
Quote
Like
Share

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

September 9th, 2014, 3:03 am #26

I dissected the MadCatz Gamecube Ultra S-Video cable. They claim it's shielded, but there's no shielding in there. The rubber insulation is pretty thick so you get the impression it's shielded but nope. It looks like the only upgrade is gold connectors but that doesn't mean much when the company's own $10 universal cable outperforms it.


I also picked up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261448131347?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
This cable outperforms both of the MadCatz cables.


Worst to best (Ultra -> Universal -> eBay cable)
The camera affects the brightness and sharpness but you can see how the screendoor effect goes away.
Quote
Like
Share

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm

September 9th, 2014, 7:00 am #27

swaaye wrote:I dissected the MadCatz Gamecube Ultra S-Video cable. They claim it's shielded, but there's no shielding in there. The rubber insulation is pretty thick so you get the impression it's shielded but nope. It looks like the only upgrade is gold connectors but that doesn't mean much when the company's own $10 universal cable outperforms it.


I also picked up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261448131347?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
This cable outperforms both of the MadCatz cables.


Worst to best (Ultra -> Universal -> eBay cable)
The camera affects the brightness and sharpness but you can see how the screendoor effect goes away.
Well looks like the ebay one is working out for you. The other ones don't seem to be very good.
Quote
Like
Share

Cabanon
Elite
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 11:57 pm

September 9th, 2014, 11:18 am #28

these pics looks all the same to me except it's darker on the last one.

EDIT: :cussfit: me for not clicking on pictures !
Quote
Like
Share

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm

September 9th, 2014, 3:06 pm #29

Cabanon wrote:these pics looks all the same to me except it's darker on the last one.
Look at them closely. Two of them have a checkered pattern. Almost like a screen door. The darker one doesn't have it.

Don't pay attention to the brightness or color. Look more at the pattern that is evident in the crappy wires.

When you play the game it's noticeable and annoying depending on how pronounce it is.
Quote
Like
Share

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

September 9th, 2014, 4:05 pm #30

Yeah the "Madcatz Ultra Gamecube S-Video Cable" puts a very obvious checkerboard over the image. I always blamed the N64 hardware thinking it was a nasty dithering pattern but it was the cable.

The Madcatz Universal cable is a lot better but there is still some checkerboard there. It's almost unnoticeable though.
Quote
Like
Share