thefifthgiant

1:45 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #11

I have one of those generic combo composite/s-video cables, and it produces that "grid" pattern over s-video. I have seen generic ones work well, but try to find a dedicated s-video cable to make sure that it isn't actually a fake like mine was. I did eventually get a monster cable, but it was $12 to get it shipped here in the states. I didn't realize that they were actually expensive.. :blink:
Check out my YouTube channel
Worse things have happened...

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

2:28 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #12

thefifthgiant wrote:I have one of those generic combo composite/s-video cables, and it produces that "grid" pattern over s-video. I have seen generic ones work well, but try to find a dedicated s-video cable to make sure that it isn't actually a fake like mine was. I did eventually get a monster cable, but it was $12 to get it shipped here in the states. I didn't realize that they were actually expensive.. :blink:
that's what I didn't want to deal with you know. Cheap generic cables with issues. I have one of those multi console ones that have composite and S video and it looks like crap.

Im also afraid that i'll get a fake Nintendo one so i figured its pretty hard to fake the monster cables so i'm going with that.

Yes is expensive but screw it i'm getting the best picture for my SNES/N64 and after this I don't have to worry about it.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

7:29 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #13

I got a Monster Svideo cable for N64 a year ago for pretty cheap. It still has the visible pattern. I'm not convinced that pattern isn't something coming from N64's encoder. For that matter the N64 has an obvious color dither and its texture filtering is flawed and that too is a visible pattern.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

7:42 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #14

swaaye wrote:I got a Monster Svideo cable for N64 a year ago for pretty cheap. It still has the visible pattern. I'm not convinced that pattern isn't something coming from N64's encoder. For that matter the N64 has an obvious color dither and its texture filtering is flawed and that too is a visible pattern.
yeah I wouldn't doubt that but at least that's hardware related which I can stomach.

What I want to eliminate is the rest of the problems stemming from wires.

With the monster/official wires at least you know it's not the wire causing certain things.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

8:07 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #15

Well let us know if your cable improves things. I noticed slightly improved sharpness and color saturation.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

10:15 PM - Sep 03, 2014 #16

swaaye wrote:Well let us know if your cable improves things. I noticed slightly improved sharpness and color saturation.
I have a multi console S Video that also has a composite so from what I hear those are garbage.

I'm sure this should improve things.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

3:37 AM - Sep 04, 2014 #17

Kobeskillz wrote:
swaaye wrote:Well let us know if your cable improves things. I noticed slightly improved sharpness and color saturation.
I have a multi console S Video that also has a composite so from what I hear those are garbage.

I'm sure this should improve things.
I have read that too. The claim is that some Svideo+Composite cables just push a composite signal (C+Y) out each pin of SVideo and that this is the cause of the screendoor pattern. I have a multi-console cable and a Mad Catz SNES/GC/N64 cable (not Monster after all). They both have composite and S-Video. I've continuity checked both my cables and the SVideo is wired correctly with C and Y separate. The composite connector is actually on an entirely separate pin from those signals too.

I'm convinced the screendoor pattern is actually N64's color dithering and that composite blurs it out.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

9:54 PM - Sep 04, 2014 #18

Ok I need to backpedal on my opinion of the cause of the checkerboard problem. I have been thinking more about it and reading more about it and I think it is a cable problem indeed. Some sort of signal quality and/or ground issue.

As I said I have two cables. I verified both of these have SVideo at least wired up correctly.
MadCatz Ultra S-Video/Audio Cable
MadCatz Universal S-Video Cable

I experimented with both cables and various inputs and games. The checkerboard varies by color which is probably a solid indication of signal issues. The "Ultra" cable is also considerably worse than the universal cable, even with its fancy claimed shielding and thicker wiring. Both cables have a ferrite core filter.

I get the impression that S-Video is a rather sensitive interface and is particularly susceptible to interference, crosstalk and ground problems.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

10:14 PM - Sep 04, 2014 #19

swaaye wrote:Ok I need to backpedal on my opinion of the cause of the checkerboard problem. I have been thinking more about it and reading more about it and I think it is a cable problem indeed. Some sort of signal quality and/or ground issue.

As I said I have two cables. I verified both of these have SVideo at least wired up correctly.
MadCatz Ultra S-Video/Audio Cable
MadCatz Universal S-Video Cable

I experimented with both cables and various inputs and games. The checkerboard varies by color which is probably a solid indication of signal issues. The "Ultra" cable is also considerably worse than the universal cable, even with its fancy claimed shielding and thicker wiring. Both cables have a ferrite core filter.

I get the impression that S-Video is a rather sensitive interface and is particularly susceptible to interference, crosstalk and ground problems.
I have the 1st Universal one you listed as well and that's the one that I mentioned is garbage.

So yeah I think it's the cables that's why I sprung for the Monster and called it a day.

Later in the week i'll do a comparison and report since me and you have the same wire.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

2:27 PM - Sep 08, 2014 #20

ok so I had a chance to test this puppy. The monster S video and man oh man it makes a huge difference over my universal S video cable with composite.

1st thing 1st. Rare games are just blurry no matter what. Probably running on low res. Color is better and sharpness but the games by nature are blurry.

Games that support hi res mode almost look like 480p! I'm using my wega sony tv.

Rogue Squadron really looks awesome other the color in all these games pops. I think that's the biggest difference the color.

While my sony tv looks great it sure does have some large pixels! Larger than I remember back in the day. My old tv had pixes but they kinda blurred into ea other more. This tv has large box like pixels when you're up close.

Btw tested my SNES and that think just looks absolutely gorgeous with that monster S video. I mean wow!!!

Donkey Kong Country is just gorgeous and after years of looking at it all pixelated on my Wii/WiiU on an HDTV to finally see it like I remember and even better was a joy.

Games with digitized graphics get the most advantage from playing on old tvs IMO. Those do not look great on HDTV's.