Official Memory Card Space?

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 28th, 2014, 2:32 pm #1

Hi guys I just got an official card from ebay and wanted to know how much space they held and if one should be enough?

I don't have much games that use it. Let me see at the top of my head.

Mortal Kombat 4
Blitz 2000
South Park
World Championship Racing
Mission Impossible? Not sure about that one.

Of those 3 I fear Blitz might be the worse just by knowing how sports games are. Also I eventually plan to get more games.

I hear games like Shadow man and Turok 2 take up almost the whole pack which sucks because those are two games i'm picking up.

Is this true?

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 28th, 2014, 4:29 pm #2

NVM guess I searched and found a great topic here that list all the games and file sizes.

Blitz 2000 takes up the whole :cussfit: card!!!! Ugh hopefully I can save my settings and it only takes up a page or something.

Shadowman 73 and Turok 90!!! Ugh.

sanni
sanni

August 28th, 2014, 4:31 pm #3

Well if you feel like it you can link to that topic here so that people with a similar question in the future will find the answer.

kartmaster
Veteran

August 28th, 2014, 6:29 pm #4

Kobeskillz wrote:NVM guess I searched and found a great topic here that list all the games and file sizes.

Blitz 2000 takes up the whole :cussfit: card!!!! Ugh hopefully I can save my settings and it only takes up a page or something.

Welcome to the 90's. Haha. ;)

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

August 28th, 2014, 6:30 pm #5

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 206/1/#new

This list is great!
kartmaster wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:NVM guess I searched and found a great topic here that list all the games and file sizes.

Welcome to the 90's. Haha. ;)
Nintendo pulled the same stuff with the Gamecube. Remember only the 59 cards were available?

One game at launch even used more blocks than what was available! Too bad Nintendo never released a bigger Memory pack for the n64.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

August 31st, 2014, 4:41 am #6

Yeah the old memory paks on consoles were a pain. Flash memory was expensive back then though so it's just how it was.

I have an aftermarket Nyko Hyper Pak Plus that's a combo rumble + memory pak. It has 4 selectable memory banks. So it's like 4 Nintendo controller paks in one. Very handy and it has never caused me trouble.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

September 1st, 2014, 5:16 pm #7

swaaye wrote:Yeah the old memory paks on consoles were a pain. Flash memory was expensive back then though so it's just how it was.

I have an aftermarket Nyko Hyper Pak Plus that's a combo rumble + memory pak. It has 4 selectable memory banks. So it's like 4 Nintendo controller paks in one. Very handy and it has never caused me trouble.
Yeah but didn't the psone have larger cards and the ps2 were 8mb for the same price as the 59 cube cards!!! Me thinks nintendo being cheap.

Kerr Avon
Kerr Avon

September 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm #8

Memory paks (or controller paks, as they are also called) are a bit of a sore subject amongst N64 gamers. When they work great, they are fine, but they have a couple of problems;

1) Some games take up much more space than (you'd imagine) they really need. I mean, Turok 2 uses about 72 pages, when (a) you can only save at checkpoints (which means the programmers could be a lot more selective about what data they needed to save), and (b) there isn't too much data that could possibly need saving anyway, just a few values and flags about your character's weapons and attributes, some enemy positions, etc. It's not like the game world contains tons of variables that have to be taken care of.

2) The official memory paks (Nintendo) only have 123 pages in them. You can buy larger memory paks from other companies, but they only have multiple banks of 123 pages in them, not all of the pages available in one bank. WHat this means is, say you have a two bank memory pak, and bank one has 15 pages free, and bank two has 10 pages free, then if you need to save a game that takes up 20 pages, then you can't, as even though that memory pak has 25 pages free, they are spread over two banks, and the N64 can only save to one bank (you choose which bank to save to using a switch on the memory pak, if (of course) the memory pak has more than one bank of memory.

3) Some third party (i.e. not Nintendo made) memory paks are unreliable and can lose your game saves, which is something you obviously want to avoid. Some people have used third party paks with no problems, others have had real problems and will only use Nintendo made paks as a result. Nintendo's paks are supposed to be as reliable as you could reasonably hope for (though they are only one bank (123 pages) large, and are more expensive than other brands, though nowadays you'll have to buy them used, so they might be more expensive than the others), but I don't know which, if any, of the third party paks are known to be unreliable.

Some N64 memory paks use a battery to store their saves, others use EPROM/Flash RAM. I think all of Nintendos use batteries. Of course they lose the data when you change the battery, but the batteries do last for years. Has anyone ever used a pak that can save the data for the short time it takes to change a battery? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Established Member

September 2nd, 2014, 4:25 pm #9

Kerr Avon wrote:Memory paks (or controller paks, as they are also called) are a bit of a sore subject amongst N64 gamers. When they work great, they are fine, but they have a couple of problems;

1) Some games take up much more space than (you'd imagine) they really need. I mean, Turok 2 uses about 72 pages, when (a) you can only save at checkpoints (which means the programmers could be a lot more selective about what data they needed to save), and (b) there isn't too much data that could possibly need saving anyway, just a few values and flags about your character's weapons and attributes, some enemy positions, etc. It's not like the game world contains tons of variables that have to be taken care of.

2) The official memory paks (Nintendo) only have 123 pages in them. You can buy larger memory paks from other companies, but they only have multiple banks of 123 pages in them, not all of the pages available in one bank. WHat this means is, say you have a two bank memory pak, and bank one has 15 pages free, and bank two has 10 pages free, then if you need to save a game that takes up 20 pages, then you can't, as even though that memory pak has 25 pages free, they are spread over two banks, and the N64 can only save to one bank (you choose which bank to save to using a switch on the memory pak, if (of course) the memory pak has more than one bank of memory.

3) Some third party (i.e. not Nintendo made) memory paks are unreliable and can lose your game saves, which is something you obviously want to avoid. Some people have used third party paks with no problems, others have had real problems and will only use Nintendo made paks as a result. Nintendo's paks are supposed to be as reliable as you could reasonably hope for (though they are only one bank (123 pages) large, and are more expensive than other brands, though nowadays you'll have to buy them used, so they might be more expensive than the others), but I don't know which, if any, of the third party paks are known to be unreliable.

Some N64 memory paks use a battery to store their saves, others use EPROM/Flash RAM. I think all of Nintendos use batteries. Of course they lose the data when you change the battery, but the batteries do last for years. Has anyone ever used a pak that can save the data for the short time it takes to change a battery? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Good points. I just bought two memory packs. Nintendo. Should I change the batteries in them before I used them? just to have them fresh. I wonder if it's hard to do.

I was looking into getting a Dex but my laptop is Vista so i'm not sure if it will be compatible you know.

swaaye
Established Member
swaaye
Established Member

September 3rd, 2014, 7:33 pm #10

I've read about unreliable packs. But I've had the Nyko Hyper Pak Plus I have for roughly 15 years and it's been solid. Love the 4x capacity via the 4 banks, and the built in rumble pak.

I've never checked for a battery in mine. I never thought about that. I've always thought they moved away from battery-backed SRAM for the controller paks... :phear: