Nintendo Ultra 64 Logo

U64pro
U64pro

March 5th, 2018, 4:48 pm #1

Out of fun I was searching the net for a good picture of the Ultra64 logo because one day I want to make a proper U64 front sticker for one of my N64s.
Well it turned out, that there are not many pictures of the old logo are available. Most stuff is scanned from old mags and in poor quality.

There is one recreation of that logo available on the net but it is wrong in terms of colors, spacing and allignment.
The problem is that this recreated logo is now used everywhere and everybody things it is the correct or real one.
I made a rough overview gfx to highlight the problems.
The main problem are the actual colors.
Also there are differences between the logo on the plastic piece for the N64 front and the logo used for the Cartridge.

I know only one person who used to have a real U64 with logo but it seems that he disappeared.
Is there another person who owns a real U64 or has proper pictures of the front of the U64?

The main goal is to correct the recreated logo as good as possible or even replace it with correct or even original material. If you have any infos or pictures regarding the Ultra 64 Logo which are not availabale on the net so far, please respond.

Thanks

Here is also a picture showing my theories regarding the plastic piece on the U64.
Judging from the available pictures, I think that the Logo on the plastic has limited colors.
I think it uses only 3, purple, white and black.
Also the color gradient is different than on the logo for the cartridge.
u64logocolors.jpg
u64logochanges.jpg
u64logocolors.jpg u64logochanges.jpg

danilochka
danilochka

March 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm #2

I can't say that I had noticed the error until you pointed out. The recreation which is currently circulating clearly uses blue for the "64" numbers, whereas it appears that the original uses more of a lilac purple colour.

I have a few images from around the E3 1995 unveiling, tho it would appear most of the promo images of the console are in black and white, which doesn't really help. However, there is a scan from a magazine of this time which showcases the Ultra 64 console and cart in colour, and as you can see both the numbers and the gradiant for the text should be purple, not blue.

As you have already noted, the cart logo and console logo definitely have slight differences, I can see that the cart logo fades to white at much higher point in the lettering.

Also the font typeface for NINTENDO in the mock images is incorrect, as the tie (middle stroke) of the E should be higher up, and not central.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Grizzmeister
Elite

March 5th, 2018, 5:38 pm #3

I've always wanted to convert one of my humble N64 consoles in to an Ultra 64. Too bad somebody doesn't mass produce those logos and sell them to the public.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

U64pro
U64pro

March 5th, 2018, 6:05 pm #4

@danilochka, thanks for the input.
I used this EGM picture you postet for my investigations.
That picture made clear to me, that the logo on the plastic piece is different. The GFX is more simpler, less colors.
The original logo for that was a vector file, I am very sure.
And yes you are right, the repro GFX has huge color issues.
The guy who made this also know it has errors. He is also surprised that this files was spreading everywhere.
There are even mugs with this logo to buy. XD
Anyway, the guy who made said himself he is not very good at vector GFX but gave his best :pottymouth:.
I think it is not bad for such an attempt. It is open source and it can be edited.

I was able to confirm the actual shape and the sizes of the logo objects more or less but the correct colors are unknown.
Without knowing more about the colors, it makes not much sense for a replacement.
I want one too but alsoi t would be nice to have more correct material in this regard in general.

danilochka
danilochka

March 5th, 2018, 6:47 pm #5

Well here are some files from my harddrive which may help out with that.

Firstly, here is a press release from E3 1995 for the cancelled Mindscape game Monster Dunk. It's official documentation, so that should mean that the colours are correct for the Nintendo Ultra 64 logo.

Secondly, here is a scan of a Ducth Information leaflet which uses a higher quality version of the logo, albeit sadly in black and white

Hopefully using some combination of these two images can produce a more accuarate recreation of the Ultra 64 logo.

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

March 5th, 2018, 8:45 pm #6

I remember someone actually did the same thing years back on the 64dd.net forums, that person actually commissioned a designer to recreate the logo.

EDIT: Found the topic via web archives

Grizzmeister
Elite

March 5th, 2018, 9:30 pm #7

Why do Ultra 64 threads always motivate me to drag out my Killer Instinct Gold cartridge and play until the pad on my left thumb starts to hurt? :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

No64DD
Elite

March 5th, 2018, 11:26 pm #8

@Grizz,
On it.
[+] Spoiler

A Secret star
lie here~

U64pro
U64pro

March 5th, 2018, 11:35 pm #9

Hehehehe KI Gold is cool but I prefer my KI2 Cab :)
Anyway, thanks to Vaettur I found the original forum post for that recreation:
http://www.pmod.de/index.php?page=Threa ... 7&pageNo=7
Unfortunately there is no actual GFX there. Just watermarked stuff.
I contacted the guy but he was not online for like 7 month.
Lets see what can be done.
But in this forum you can see photos of his GFX and judjing from that, I think his GFX is also not correct but closer to the original.

Grizzmeister
Elite

March 5th, 2018, 11:53 pm #10

U64pro wrote:Hehehehe KI Gold is cool but I prefer my KI2 Cab :)
Oooh, I want a picture of that cabinet please! :w00t: