New to the scene

FoamCow
FoamCow

January 26th, 2016, 11:31 pm #1

Hello all,

My name is AJ, I've been playing Nintendo 64 on and off ever since my childhood, owning all different types of console throughout the years. I still have fond memories of going to Toys r us with my dad to go buy the system in about 1997. I think my first memory of the 64 was in Argos shortly before owning the system myself. I'd never been so amazed by the graphics. Super Mario 64 was the game on display and I still remember the buzz of grabbing the controller and holding the joystick as if it were.. Well a joystick (you must've all done the same too when first playing the n64). From 97 until around 2001 I was completely obsessed with the thing and would :pottymouth: down anyone that claimed the PS1 or Saturn were better, but as time passes and new consoles come around a kid with the attention span of a puppy like myself then grew onto other consoles as I looked at the n64 as not needed anymore, I then came to give it away to a family friend (the console, 2 controllers, many assesories and about 50+ games!). That is until around 2010. I yearned for the games that I had grown up playing and eBay and other sources made me have almost all the games I once had.
For me now, I would just like to see what people in the retro gaming community are going through as I am now trying to collect even more than I originally had, whether that be boxed and complete or just the cart.
So that's my introduction, there is a lot more stuff to say and I could write a hell of a lot more but this'll do for now.

Cheers, AJ.

Random side note: is there a better soundtrack than the Diddy Kong racing one?

Milage007
Elite

January 26th, 2016, 11:54 pm #2

Welcome to the forum FoamCow! Sorry to hear you parted with your collection but glad to hear you have got a lot of it back as it were. I think quite a few people on here have done that. Fortunately, I still have my original system but I did sell a lot of games I had collected 2nd hand around 2010 to raise some funds at uni and since 2014 I have got those games back plus been adding some extras. The system has a lot of gems out there. Enjoy!

Are you from the UK?

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Bamboozled
Veteran

January 27th, 2016, 1:16 am #3

@Milage
He said he's from Oxford, UK in his only other post. I must ask, what made you ask if he was from the UK? :blink:

Welcome, AJ! Great to meet you and hope you take this place to your liking! What's the story of the name FoamCow? X_D

Pimpin Mainer
Veteran

January 27th, 2016, 2:09 am #4

@Bamboozled, he said cheers, thats how he knew.

Welcome! Nice avatar, always found that guy a bit goofy.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Bamboozled
Veteran

January 27th, 2016, 2:21 am #5

Pimpin Mainer wrote:@Bamboozled, he said cheers, thats how he knew.
I honestly would have never thought of that. :facepalm: :D

X-amount

January 27th, 2016, 4:48 am #6

Your write-up resonates a lot with me. Welcome!

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

January 27th, 2016, 5:36 am #7

Welcome. Also I think that Ocarina of Time has a pretty great soundtrack.

KnightlyGaming
KnightlyGaming

January 27th, 2016, 6:28 am #8

Welcome to the community! Really friendly people on here so feel free to talk. Also I love Diddy Kong Racing but I got to say Banjo-Kazooie is a soundtrack I still listen to in the background all the time :wub:

Milage007
Elite

January 27th, 2016, 6:45 am #9

He said cheers which is true PM. But what sealed it was he said he had memories from Argos which is chain part of the Home Retail Group (UK FTSE 250 company).

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

FoamCow
FoamCow

January 27th, 2016, 7:24 am #10

Milage007 wrote:Welcome to the forum FoamCow! Sorry to hear you parted with your collection but glad to hear you have got a lot of it back as it were. I think quite a few people on here have done that. Fortunately, I still have my original system but I did sell a lot of games I had collected 2nd hand around 2010 to raise some funds at uni and since 2014 I have got those games back plus been adding some extras. The system has a lot of gems out there. Enjoy!

Are you from the UK?
Hi! It sounds like we have been in similar situations then! Moving onto your question, yes I am from the UK, as many of the others said so I'm (at the minute) only collecting PAL. I've got a few games that are an absolute must to buy but are rather expensive as you'll know, so I'm just biding my time and trying to get the best deal. I recently picked up Banjo Tooie for a tenna from a local charity shop which I was absolutely amazed at!

Thanks for the welcome anyway. I really didn't expect anyone to reply!
Bamboozled wrote:@Milage
He said he's from Oxford, UK in his only other post. I must ask, what made you ask if he was from the UK? :blink:

Welcome, AJ! Great to meet you and hope you take this place to your liking! What's the story of the name FoamCow? X_D
Hello, Thanks for the welcoming!
The name FoamCow is a bit of a strange one. I've always had a weird liking to cows. I broke my hand last year and during the recovery process my doctor suggested that I get a stress ball of some kind. I bought one late at night (and a bit intoxicated) when it came to me it was in the shape of a cow - a foam one at that! Ha ha!
Pimpin Mainer wrote:@Bamboozled, he said cheers, thats how he knew.

Welcome! Nice avatar, always found that guy a bit goofy.
Ha Ha! "Cheers"

Thank you for the welcome! My avatar is one of my favourite Zelda characters. His name is Mutoh I believe and makes such a strange noise when you first talk to him! Bought many laughs when playing as a kid!