NBA Hangtime

stinger9142
Guardian

August 1st, 2017, 11:49 pm #1

Hangtime won with a strong vote off showing. Though comical and arcade'ish, I found it fun to play. I rented it four or five weekends and got my moneys worth out of it. I purchased it in 2003 used, but lost it shortly after. It was a good follow up to a fun NBA game on the SNES I enjoyed. I don't recall what it was called, but I remember Will Smith being a playable option :lol:

Milage007
Elite

August 2nd, 2017, 6:59 am #2

Ah no! I thought Tigger's Honey Hunt would walk this! Maybe next month! I will give Hangtime a whirl this weekend. Admittedly I own the game but only checked it worked I just presumed it was not as good as say In The Zone 2000. If it is anything like Kobe Bryant's NBA I enjoyed that game so I would probably like it.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 2nd, 2017, 10:57 am #3

Having been obsessed with NBA Playgrounds lately, I feel like I've been playing Hangtime without that gorgeous 90s hip-hop theme song. Will definitely fire it up this month!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Cabanon
Elite

August 2nd, 2017, 12:50 pm #4

is this the game that the announcer says "HE'S ON FIRE" all the time and the hoop lit up in fire ? I have vague memory of this.

Jsboger
Established Member
Jsboger
Established Member

August 2nd, 2017, 1:01 pm #5

Cabanon wrote:is this the game that the announcer says "HE'S ON FIRE" all the time and the hoop lit up in fire ? I have vague memory of this.
As far as I know that is only on NBA JAM. I don't think Hangtime had the announcer say that.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

stinger9142
Guardian

August 2nd, 2017, 3:51 pm #6

I was wondering if it was Hangtime or not myself :lol:

Cabanon
Elite

August 3rd, 2017, 5:02 am #7

Jsboger wrote:
Cabanon wrote:is this the game that the announcer says "HE'S ON FIRE" all the time and the hoop lit up in fire ? I have vague memory of this.
As far as I know that is only on NBA JAM. I don't think Hangtime had the announcer say that.
ah yes that must be that.

kartmaster
Veteran

August 3rd, 2017, 11:34 am #8

Hangtime is super fun in my opinion. Fantastic as a multiplayer game. Single player has some HARDcore rubber banding, but still fun and playable.

This game definitely has an announcer with some great lines:
"He tomahawks it home!"
"A poster jam!"
"Can't buy a bucket!"
"He's on fire!" At which point your shots literally light the net on fire...

Grizzmeister
Elite

August 3rd, 2017, 1:03 pm #9

NBA Hangtime on the N64 supports 4-player straight away without the need of a multi-tap! You'd a thought that feature alone would have made it a smash hit. :huh:

I own a copy but really haven't played it much. Got it long after me and my boyz spent a bazillion hours on Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and NFL Blitz. Not sure but perhaps Hangtime's reliance on sprites, as opposed to 3D models, made it feel second-rate compared to other over-the-top sports games of the era.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

bluedogrulez
Guardian

August 7th, 2017, 5:21 pm #10

I did turn on NBA Hangtime this weekend. I should have taken a glance at the manual because the controls were anything but intuitive. So I immediately went down 19-0. But then I found the shoot button (C-down?) and some other important buttons, and with the game's rubber band mechanic (and Mookie's sensational shooting), I took the lead. But then the AI got hot again and I wound up losing by 10.

This game gets "arcade sports" so right. And it reminded me of something else from childhood...the idea that the CPU was a real opponent. Raise your hands if you used to mutter or yell "The computer is a cheater!!" went you lost at a game like Tecmo Super Bowl at the hands of a last minute Steve Young-thrown Hail Mary? AI used to be equipped with such unfairness, it really made it feel like you were playing an older brother who would never let you win. I miss that challenge and unpredictability in some games...even Hangtime's spiritual successor NBA Playgrounds (where the CPU is beatable 95% of the time).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez