macN64
macN64

August 22nd, 2012, 9:30 pm #21

slowbird wrote:Fascinating stuff. I'd be interested in seeing the Makopad on the skip test.
I'll see if I can get around to it.
bluedogrulez wrote:@macN64 and sanni: To run your tests, are you both using flash carts on an N64 console or do you have the controller hooked up to a PC somehow?
I'm using a flash cart.
macN64 wrote:I've a good way of arranging the controllers to visually convey where I feel they "fit". I'll see if I can get a picture up fairly soon.
Here's a picture I took:

It's a sort of "family tree" of N64 controllers. At the top, is the official controller and stick. We all know the official sticks wear down. The challenge for third party sticks is to solve that problem while, well, still being good to use. The tree shows two branches, to the left and right, showing two different approaches taken.

On the bottom, 4th row are the Sharkpad Pro 64 2 and a controller fitted with a third party Gamecube style stick. Both solve the problem of wear differently, but introduce new problems (bulky to hold and lack of precision/accuracy respectively).

The controllers next row up (3rd row) solve these problems to some degree, but also do away with the three prong design of the official controller. Some may think this is a good thing, but others would prefer the "conventional" three prong design they're used to.

The controllers next row up (2nd row) try to retain the benefits of the previous row, but put them into the body of an official controller.

It's not quite perfect, but I think it's a fairly good visual representation of how I see these controllers and where I feel they "fit". The LodgeNet was something of a "missing link". :lol: I would guess that the third party OEM style sticks would sit under the official controller, on the same row as the Sharkpad and LodgeNet.

sanni
sanni

August 23rd, 2012, 2:32 pm #22

The oem style replacement is really nice.
Too bad they are made out of such a cheap plastic. The main issue I have with these is that the plastic arch that holds the X-axis in place wears out really fast which results in a wiggly thumbstick.

clarky_n64
Veteran

August 23rd, 2012, 7:41 pm #23

This is some really awesome experimental work going on here guys.

I personally have to say, I'm a massive fan of the LN analog sticks. They seem to have a shorter throw than most pot based analogs (you can visually see this on the analog itself) but are by far the best and most accurate I have used.

Keep up the good work :yeah:

macN64
macN64

August 29th, 2012, 5:10 pm #24

slowbird wrote:Fascinating stuff. I'd be interested in seeing the Makopad on the skip test.
I finally got around to doing the Mako pad.

The black lines you see in the close up are due to the TV screen. There isn't any skipping I can see. :)

slowbird

September 2nd, 2012, 10:04 pm #25

macN64 wrote:
I finally got around to doing the Mako pad.

The black lines you see in the close up are due to the TV screen. There isn't any skipping I can see. :)
Nice! Thanks 8)
Currently looking for: Blue/White PAL console

badair
badair

November 10th, 2012, 1:59 pm #26

Sanni, I'm a beginning programming student. Would you perchance care to share the source code for this?

BearLily
Established Member
BearLily
Established Member

November 10th, 2012, 8:34 pm #27

Mac, your Hori pad should not be doing that. It's faulty.

sanni
sanni

November 10th, 2012, 9:42 pm #28

The source is included in the download and I also posted a how to program tutorial here: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7349435/1/

macN64
macN64

November 19th, 2012, 10:07 pm #29

BearLily wrote:Mac, your Hori pad should not be doing that. It's faulty.
Yeah, I thought so. Is anyone able to get benchmark of another Hori Pad?

sanni
sanni

December 2nd, 2012, 2:39 am #30

I always wanted to buy a Hori Mini pad but they are soooo expensive :-/