ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

8:20 PM - Mar 06, 2018 #51

Not sure what “more successful” means; I don’t think the n64 mini would outsell the other two because those are absolutely legendary. But maybe I’m not giving the n64 enough credit. Even though it lost to the PlayStation back then its games are perhaps more revered now than even back then.

I predict that Nintendo’s gonna focus on getting the nes and snes minis out more in 2018 first though. 2019 will be the 20th anniversary of Super Smash Bros so maybe the 64 mini could be one of multiple things that coincide with that.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

5:10 PM - Mar 08, 2018 #52

Vaettur wrote:The issues on VC are so minor that it was acceptable enough for Nintendo to release them.
For the most part I agree although some of the VC ports are much better than others. For example, Mario Kart 64 is really good while at the same time F-Zero X has a lot of ugly tearing of textures. I suspect this is why the tunnel portion of the Sand Ocean track in the Jack Cup was altered.

Anyone who has played F-Zero X on a modern PC with a good graphics card knows that the game can look much better than it did on the original N64 hardware. This is why I hope the N64 Mini is powerful enough to emulate and upscale the original ROMs rather than resort to running the Virtual Console releases.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

8:34 PM - Mar 08, 2018 #53

What were the issues with the Wii VC releases? I remember people saying that Wii U N64 games had lag issues, something I noticed when trying to do a ground pound in Mario Party 2. I also remember playing Pokémon Stadium 2 on an emulator once and it was very rough. It couldn’t pull up all the textures or something so there were white borders around a lot of stuff.

Apparently this system is notoriously hard to emulate for? I think they’ll want to try harder than ever before to get it right on a dedicated mini 64. It might take time but I think they can pull it off though :)

kartmaster
Veteran

2:18 PM - Mar 09, 2018 #54

Virtual Console on Wii U was laggy for everything. I'm not usually someone who is sensitive to lag, but I first noticed it playing Punch-Out and having a hard time, after that I noticed it on every game and couldn't get it out of my head.

I do think there's probably a notable technological leap required between emulating 16-bit 2D games, to N64, but hey, they finally figured out the FX chip... so there's an abundance of hope!

Mantis128
Established Member
Mantis128
Established Member

4:00 AM - Mar 11, 2018 #55

I don't really see how lag is an issue for the N64, it's not not like the games are NES games where you need the reflexes of a cat just to barely make it though.

The only people who would need minimal lag are Smash 64 players and speedrunners. But they'll just play on OG hardware with a CRT anyhow.

Cabanon
Elite

12:23 AM - Mar 12, 2018 #56

one you notice lag, you see it everywhere and it's extremely frustrating. so yes lag does have a really huge impact on playability on n64. not only on smah 64, but on any racers or games that require precision (im looking at you freaking rocket/spaceship level in toy story 2).

No64DD
Elite

12:59 AM - Mar 12, 2018 #57

I don't notice lag in the SNES Classic. Does anyone?

It was noticable in the NES Classic, and it didn't stop consumers from going nuts trying to buy one.
A Secret star
lie here~

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

3:25 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #58

N64 games are no longer available for purchase on the Wii Shop. (Along with the other VC and WiiWare games but it doesn’t sound as dramatic that way)

Do you think this increases the odds of the N64 mini getting announced soon or do things just stay the same?

Grizzmeister
Elite

3:39 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #59

ItalianBaptist wrote:Do you think this increases the odds of the N64 mini getting announced soon or do things just stay the same?
I hope it gets announced soon because I'm very eager to find out which games will be included. :w00t:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

The Red Shadow
Guardian

3:44 AM - Apr 08, 2018 #60

Where are we in the year in terms of the announcements of the NES Classic and SNES Classic the last two years? Were they announced by the point in the year in 2016 and 2017? I feel like if we were going to see a N64 Classic this year we would have heard something official from Nintendo by now.