Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

October 22nd, 2017, 4:55 pm #21

Sorry for being a negative nancy here, but people aren't looking realistically at this at all, up to ridiculous proportions.
People are looking way too much at what they personally want, and too little to what Nintendo would actually do.

One thing I'm pretty much certain of, they will not program/reprogram any games, released or unreleased.
I've seen many ideas, Mother 3 is a big example among other unreleased titles, and people expecting a "plus mode" where textures and even polygons are changed to a modern look.

While this is all technically possible, why would they bother? For a system like this?

The sole reason that SF2 was on the SNES Mini was because it was a finished product, 100% done, ready to be shipped out and canned at the very last moment, with little to no additional programming required for the SNES Mini.
What games in that vain does the N64 have? All I can think of is either 40 Winks or Glover 2, both very unlikely to be released as they're third party, they're no system sellers and they weren't even that much anticipated at the time in the first place (and I'm not even sure if they really are 100% complete).

People are also fantasizing so much about the controller, but most likely they will be replicas of the original with a Wii plug, just like the NES and SNES mini. Why would they bother changing that formula?

As for the games, I think it can be quite simple; if it's not released on Virtual Console, it will most likely not be on the N64 Mini.
Also, who says that 20 games will be on this system? The NES Mini had 30, the SNES had 20 (+1), 10 less for no specific reason except memory. I wouldn't be surprised if the N64 Mini would end up with 10-15 titles instead.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong by Nintendo, but people shouldn't expect so much.
That really is pretty much the thing for all these expectations/wishes; It's all possible, but why would they bother?

That said, I will still buy this anyway, regardless of which features or games it will contain. :yeah:

retro4ever

October 22nd, 2017, 5:54 pm #22

Vaettur wrote:Sorry for being a negative nancy here, but people aren't looking realistically at this at all, up to ridiculous proportions.
People are looking way too much at what they personally want, and too little to what Nintendo would actually do.

One thing I'm pretty much certain of, they will not program/reprogram any games, released or unreleased.
I've seen many ideas, Mother 3 is a big example among other unreleased titles, and people expecting a "plus mode" where textures and even polygons are changed to a modern look.

While this is all technically possible, why would they bother? For a system like this?

The sole reason that SF2 was on the SNES Mini was because it was a finished product, 100% done, ready to be shipped out and canned at the very last moment, with little to no additional programming required for the SNES Mini.
What games in that vain does the N64 have? All I can think of is either 40 Winks or Glover 2, both very unlikely to be released as they're third party, they're no system sellers and they weren't even that much anticipated at the time in the first place (and I'm not even sure if they really are 100% complete).

People are also fantasizing so much about the controller, but most likely they will be replicas of the original with a Wii plug, just like the NES and SNES mini. Why would they bother changing that formula?

As for the games, I think it can be quite simple; if it's not released on Virtual Console, it will most likely not be on the N64 Mini.
Also, who says that 20 games will be on this system? The NES Mini had 30, the SNES had 20 (+1), 10 less for no specific reason except memory. I wouldn't be surprised if the N64 Mini would end up with 10-15 titles instead.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong by Nintendo, but people shouldn't expect so much.
That really is pretty much the thing for all these expectations/wishes; It's all possible, but why would they bother?

That said, I will still buy this anyway, regardless of which features or games it will contain. :yeah:
yes, ocarina of time, majora's mask and mario 64 are great games....but people have those on the 3DS

the mini64 would be a hard sell without the rare games. goldeneye and banjo kazooie are as essential as zelda / mario on the N64.

mother 3 could be the incentive to buy the N64 mini, if they can't put the rare games on it.

i think a 3D mother 3 would be an incentive to a lot of people, regardless of what other games are on the mini N64.

i was hyped for the mini nes and snes, but man if earthbound 64 is on there.... the internet will explode. and nintendo knows that.

depending on how much work / time it would take to finish the remaining 40%, with today's technology, i wouldnt totally rule it out

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

October 22nd, 2017, 6:26 pm #23

I stand by my point, that being; Technically a lot is possible, but they won't bother.

Also, Mother 3 technically didn't got cancelled, but was moved to a different console, which didn't got released outside of Japan despite millions of pleas.

As much as I'd love to see this happen too, don't count on it.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

October 23rd, 2017, 3:45 pm #24

@Vaettur: I do get where you’re coming from - it’s why i’m trying to keep my list realistic even though I opened up the can of worms about the controllers.

They probably will work the same way (replica of the original, Wii classic controller plug, cord that desperately needs to be longer)) but I couldn’t help but think of the issues with the control stick and general unpopularity of the the three prongs. I personally never had a problem with it but the n64 was my first system. I still hear a lot of gripes from people about it.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

kartmaster
Veteran

October 24th, 2017, 1:21 pm #25

Been thinking about the controller. I wouldn't doubt they would revise the thumbstick if it would save money with materials that are cheaper than they were in 1996 while maintaining the quality. They definitely aren't using the same PCBs in the NES and SNES Mini controllers.

Curious on the price though. The controller is going to be considerably more expensive than the previous Classic Editions. I don't think you can include two controllers in like a retro "Atomic Purple" edition and keep that thing under $100 unless they want to eat some profit on that.

ReliantLion

October 24th, 2017, 3:10 pm #26

Considering that the N64 has four ports and actually made much use of the fact, I think it will come with just one gray controller. Other colors would likely become available.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

October 24th, 2017, 4:57 pm #27

Now that we know about Switch update 4.00, GameCube controller ports are more relevant to Nintendo’s current hardware than Wii remote attachments. Just sayin ;)

I wouldn’t mind an N64 replica with a GameCube plug. No matter what happens, though, a recent article I read did point out that the N64 mini’s controller will be a bigger deal than the Nes or Snes. Not only is it more complex, but it’s bulkier too.

kartmaster
Veteran

October 25th, 2017, 1:39 pm #28

The GCN ports would be cool and would fit the N64 asthetic a lot better. I wonder at that scale though as small as these things are if 4 ports would even fit on the front, or if they'd have to hide two on the sides or something with panels like they did the SNES mini on the front.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

October 25th, 2017, 5:52 pm #29

kartmaster wrote:The GCN ports would be cool and would fit the N64 asthetic a lot better. I wonder at that scale though as small as these things are if 4 ports would even fit on the front, or if they'd have to hide two on the sides or something with panels like they did the SNES mini on the front.
I thought about having the 4 ports on the front and moving the logo to the top, either on a fake cartridge, on the expansion pak “cover”, or maybe like “Nintendo 64 mini” rolling along the edge of the top of the system.

Boomdiers
Veteran

November 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm #30

I think the n64 classic has been leaked the games for console and on the nintendo uk website.

Classic n64 games

But could be for the wii u virtual console tho :/
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC