Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

6:19 AM - Oct 18, 2017 #11

Kamikaze wrote:I'd say Blast Corps is a stretch. As far as I remember that game was made by DMA (now known as Rockstar) and not so much Rare.
It's a fun game, but I don't see it happening.

Other than that, I wish they put Kirby in there. Would be the biggest reason to buy it. Same goes for Mario Party 3 insted of 2, as 3 is more expensive.
Blast Corps is fully developed by Rare, as a quick google search or look at the credits will tell you. Even dev interviews with Rare staff have never once mention DMA, who honestly had their hands full at that time anyway. I don't know why anyone debates the Rare games outside DK64. How is Jet Force Gemini supposed to be anymore of a stretch than Banjo-Kazooie?

I thought my Shiren 2 suggestion was neat, as amongst all the internet rumors for a thing that doesn't exist yet, I never saw anyone suggest that real possibility. Out of the rest of the N64 Japanese Exclusives the only ones with real possibility come from Noise and Treasure.

Noise made Custom Robo & V2 but V2 is more likely. Custom Robo Ray appeared in Smash Brawl as an assist trophy, but Custom Robo is absent from Smash 4. I believe Noise is no longer paid to be a second party company to Nintendo, since their website shows mobile phone games from companies like Square. They expressed interest years ago about a new Custom Robo so Nintendo could pay a licensing fee with probably few issues. Nintendo also personally funded the original 2 games and had staff help out with them though the last entry was in 2006

Treasure made Sin & Punishment & Mischief Makers - S&P is more likely but Treasure now exists mostly as a company who licenses out there franchises to anyone who wants to pay, so Nintendo could pay to license their N64 exclusives. Bangai-O is both the most obscure game, and also had versions on other consoles so It won't ever have a chance at inclusion

Now Banpresto properties are now owned by Namco, so I can just barely imagine Super Robot Wars 64. It did okay in Japan but I don't think it's classic enough like Shiren.

Unfortunatly most the N64 best games are in limbo since most the companies are gone, and even many of the N64's best games don't feel triple A. Like DMA with Body Harvrest and Silicon Valley. Both great, and technically they are owned by Take 2 Interactive who is right now porting LA Noire to Switch, but Nintendo just can't advertise them as Classics. The companies weren't on good terms back then and they have only done sporadic business since. Even though I think Body Harvest is just as big a part of the N64's Legacy as Nintendo's biggest games. It was reveled the same day as the system, 1 of the original 13. I wish it would happen, though I'd probably get sick of all the forum posts talking about it then

Kamikaze
Kamikaze

7:06 AM - Oct 18, 2017 #12

You're right. I must be confusing it with another game (as it somehow feels more like a DMA game than a Rare game to me with all the destruction). Must have confused it with Body Harvest..

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

8:22 AM - Oct 18, 2017 #13

Kamikaze wrote:You're right. I must be confusing it with another game (as it somehow feels more like a DMA game than a Rare game to me with all the destruction). Must have confused it with Body Harvest..
The vehicles do handle in a similar "they turn fast but rigidly and can never flip over"" kinda way, and It's definatly not as gigantic as most other Rare games from then. DMA always made smaller scale stuff and had a fair few puzzly games, more puzzle games than Rare.

Actually now that I think of it, the thing on the cover of Blast Corps and Adam from Body Harvest look insanely similar, both blocky with an orange color scheme.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

10:40 AM - Oct 18, 2017 #14

Shellshocker18 wrote:I don't know why anyone debates the Rare games outside DK64. How is Jet Force Gemini supposed to be anymore of a stretch than Banjo-Kazooie?

Treasure made Sin & Punishment & Mischief Makers - S&P is more likely but Treasure now exists mostly as a company who licenses out there franchises to anyone who wants to pay, so Nintendo could pay to license their N64 exclusives. Bangai-O is both the most obscure game, and also had versions on other consoles so It won't ever have a chance at inclusion
Jet Force Gemini is more of a stretch to me because it was one of the lesser received of Rare’s n64 offerings. It’s not considered one of the greats like Banjo-Kazooie by most people. But it might be the “best option” of getting a Rare shooter on the classic too so idk.

I didn’t realize treasure made mischief makers along with sin and punishment. That’s a game that seems to be getting a lot more exposure as a “cult hit” if YouTube is anything to go by.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

1:19 AM - Oct 19, 2017 #15

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora’s Mask
3. Rogue Squadron
4. Episode One Racer
5. Super Mario 64
6. Mario Kart 64
7. Mario Party 2
8. Goldeneye
9. Harvest Moon 64
10. Paper Mario
11. Super Smash Bros
12. World Driver Championship
13. Ogre Battle 64
14. Turok 2
15. Pokémon Snap
16. Shadows of the Empire
17. Wave Race 64
18. 1080
19. Excitebike 64
20. Star Fox 64
And.....
21. Clay Fighters: Sculpter’s Cut just because

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

9:14 AM - Oct 19, 2017 #16

I would get it whatever games are on there so that if I feel like playing a game that happens to be on it, that's that much less wear on an original controller (",)

I think Sin and Punishment could be their '21st' game.

retro4ever

3:47 PM - Oct 21, 2017 #17

i think the list of games will be predictable: all 1st party titles and some konami / capcom games.

the success of this will depend on having the rare titles (without them, this is a pointless release) and / or the ability to hack later and add the rare titles anyway. but seeing how many rare titles used custom code, i bet most of them wont work on the "native" NERD emulator.

it will be interesting to see what they do with this, for sure

ReliantLion

5:53 PM - Oct 21, 2017 #18

I think whatever games they put on it, it will likely not be able to handle any more than that. Both in storage and processing power. There are games that are emulated well, and games that are terribly emulated.

As I understand it, the SNES mini cannot actually handle having all 700+ ROMs loaded on it when hacked. You start running into save state issues and the like.

retro4ever

8:58 AM - Oct 22, 2017 #19

mother 64 was apparently 60% completed before being scrapped, but it was eventually completed in 2D form for the GBA.

would it be unrealistic to hope, they would use the 3D assets they already have, and implement them over the finished 2D template?

that could be a worthy 21st game with the same impact, if not more, as starfox 2

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

2:23 PM - Oct 22, 2017 #20

retro4ever wrote:the success of this will depend on having the rare titles (without them, this is a pointless release) and / or the ability to hack later and add the rare titles anyway. but seeing how many rare titles used custom code, i bet most of them wont work on the "native" NERD emulator.

it will be interesting to see what they do with this, for sure
A lot of people are saying releasing a 64 mini would be “pointless” without Rare games; i’m not so sure about that statement. It would definitely be a major disappointment but Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are reason enough to get something together.

And even with newer versions that take the games to the next level, the original Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 are still esteemed pretty highly, particularly the latter for its battle mode which newer games in the series choose not to emulate.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD