N64 fps

mikezelot
Established Member
mikezelot
Established Member

September 20th, 2017, 10:19 am #1

I have a theory on n64 fps games I wanted to discuss with you guys. It seems to me that the fps genre split in two during the time of the n64. One branch would start with golden eye then perfect dark and past the n64 with the timesplitter games. The other branch would be doom to duke nukem to Turok then past the n64 to the call of duty games. I can't put my finger on what defines each branch but I feel like there is something there.

Thoughts?
N64 forever starfox 64 champion
"Im an elephant" - Conker
Both the n64 and the ps4 have 64 bit processors. Now I'm not saying the 64 could run crysis at 60 fps but I'm not saying it couldn't.
115 games
2 consoles
6 controllers

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

September 20th, 2017, 1:43 pm #2

It's kinda hard to group Doom and Duke Nukem in with Turok as they were already established series way before the N64 came out. I do think you're on to something with comparing and contrasting the Goldeneye "series" (including Perfect Dark in this) and the Turok series. Both original games were major releases early in the N64's lifespan and paved the way for the genre's future at the very least on the console.

The questions I would ask are:
What were the primary differences between Goldeneye and Turok at the time?

How did each of those games further develop those differences to stand out on the N64?
(Or did they at all? Did they become more similar over time as each perhaps borrowed ideas from the other?)

What's the connection between these older games and the newer games you're suggesting add another bud to the branch?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

September 20th, 2017, 3:27 pm #3

Mmm... I agree with ItalianBaptist when it comes to Duke Nukem and Doom. Both were quite influential for the FPS genre (understatement), but were already aged at the time of the N64.

Aside from the control-scheme i don't think there is much of a "split" between the two.

Sure, Turok has much more of a "Quake" feeling, but Goldeneye/PD has non-linear, mission-driven gameplay, a feature very important in shooters nowadays (like CoD).
It was a natural evolution in an (at the time)upcoming genre, and all had their influence on the genre in general.

Perhaps the only "split" that I can think of is the A-to-B :pottymouth: everything in your way type of game (doom/duke) and a more story/mission driven shooter.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

September 20th, 2017, 6:26 pm #4

Idk if it's a matter of age, it's just that neither of those games are primarily N64 games. The 2 main ones to compare would be Goldeneye and Turok and their respective sequels.

I never got the chance to own either one but when I played them at friends' houses I remembered the controls being different, but I also have heard that that's not as big of an issue because both had multiple control schemes. Would the primary for both be "move with the stick, aim with the c buttons"? Because that model is still technically in use today, just with a right analog stick.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

September 20th, 2017, 6:48 pm #5

ItalianBaptist wrote:Would the primary for both be "move with the stick, aim with the c buttons"? Because that model is still technically in use today, just with a right analog stick.
Actually, it's aiming with the stick and move/strave with the c-buttons, quite reversed from today's control scheme!

The White Falcon
The White Falcon

September 20th, 2017, 9:10 pm #6

wrote:The other branch would be doom to duke nukem to Turok then past the n64 to the call of duty games
There's a big FPS elephant in the room you seem to be forgetting.

;)

sanni
sanni

September 20th, 2017, 9:34 pm #7

To me it feels more like a linear evolution starting from Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Turok, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, Halo 1, Call of Duty all the way to Battlefield.
Although personally I feel that Halo 1 was the pinnacle and it did go downhill from there since in the games that came after the devs preferred constant spectacle over good game play.

gamerjerome
Established Member
gamerjerome
Established Member

September 21st, 2017, 1:05 am #8

Vaettur wrote:
ItalianBaptist wrote:Would the primary for both be "move with the stick, aim with the c buttons"? Because that model is still technically in use today, just with a right analog stick.
Actually, it's aiming with the stick and move/strave with the c-buttons, quite reversed from today's control scheme!
I think controls had a lot to do with it. While you did used the c-buttons it was more of an analog version of just another joystick. They had the right idea. It just took years before the industry and Nintendo to really figured it out. The Sony Dual Shock was what we needed before we even knew what we needed. Once gamers learned how to use two joysticks it really opened the doors.

It's like when racing games went from using buttons for gas and brake to using triggers.

As for Goldeneye, there was one unique thing that it did that even today's shooters don't really do. That's when you aim or turn into a direction and the gun aims into that direction also. It's almost virtually reality ish. Timesplitters did it. That game was also made by some of the people who worked on Goldeneye. Although that kind of mechanic didn't really work on PC. People wanted the center of the screen always be the crosshair. Over time that's what consoles did. It's just easier to aim when your crosshair isn't also moving on the screen.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

Cabanon
Elite

September 21st, 2017, 2:19 am #9

Vaettur wrote:
thats the best controller scheme ever. I cant stand aiming with c-button and going forward with the stick. thats why I hate so much FPS on modern console, I cant freaking play that way lol !

mikezelot
Established Member
mikezelot
Established Member

September 21st, 2017, 11:25 am #10

I would say three things make the speration
1. Control scheme
2. Game environments (golden eye/perfect dark) more of a realistic setting and game play with objectives and open worlds (Turok/doom) more fantasy driven
3. Game engine. The game engine from doom-duke nukem-Turok-quake all seem like a more evolved version of the last one
N64 forever starfox 64 champion
"Im an elephant" - Conker
Both the n64 and the ps4 have 64 bit processors. Now I'm not saying the 64 could run crysis at 60 fps but I'm not saying it couldn't.
115 games
2 consoles
6 controllers