FoxC
Established Member
FoxC
Established Member

5:40 AM - Aug 08, 2008 #1101

Got the games just yesterday and both are in mint condition :D I didn't even used to take care of them THIS good (course I got the n64 when I was five :P )

I haven't played MK64 yet but don't remember getting frustrated with the controls, either. I've played some Double Dash; more than MK64 probably. Haven't been a fan of the Mario Kart series; probably because I don't usually have people over to play with...I usually have nothing to do! :P Really I wanted a good multiplayer game to play if anyone ever came over; Had next to nothing as in multiplayer games.

Mop it up
Guardian

6:45 AM - Aug 08, 2008 #1102

alxbly wrote: I don't get it.  What was so bad about Mario Kart 64's controls?  They seemed fine to me.   :huh:
They are so slippery it's unbelievable. You try to turn left and your vehicle will slide out to the right as you make the widest left turn imaginable. If you're next to a wall, you can't turn away from it or you'll end up hitting it; you have to turn towards it first, then away from. Drifting is very jerky when you first activate it and is too finicky when making adjustments. Admittedly, I've never driven a go-kart and don't know how they handle, but they have to have a better turning radius than a semi.

The controls are one of the reasons that I never liked Mario Kart 64 very much, and I can never go back to it now after playing Mario Kart Wii. Play a few courses in Mario Kart 64 (I recommend Mario Raceway, S h e r b e t Lend, DK's Jungle Parkway, and Bowser's Castle), then play a few from Mario Kart Wii and you'll see what I mean. Turning is much more precise, and the drift has been smoothed out. Mario Kart 64 does have some good track designs, but they would work a lot better if used with the game engine from Mario Kart Wii.

Deleted User
Deleted User

4:09 AM - Aug 09, 2008 #1103

Mop_it_up wrote:Turning is much more precise
Wii wheel, cough, cough. As precise as my last sneeze.
Mop_it_up wrote:Mario Kart 64 does have some good track designs, but they would work a lot better if used with the game engine from Mario Kart Wii.
I'm sure that Nintendo would have made better game if they had ten more years of technology to rely upon. Then again, they didn't manage it with Mario Kart Wii so I'm not sure why Mario Kart 64 would have been so much better. :P

I still prefer Mario Kart 64. Sorry mate.

Mop it up
Guardian

5:15 AM - Aug 09, 2008 #1104

alxbly wrote: Wii wheel, cough, cough.  As precise as my last sneeze.
If the Wii Wheel were the only control option available then you might have a point. Switch to even the Wiimote + Nunchuk and you have something great.
wrote:I'm sure that Nintendo would have mad a better game if they had ten more years of technology to rely upon. Then again, they didn't manage it with Mario Kart Wii so I'm not sure why Mario Kart 64 would have been so much better.
Okay, so that was given as the reason as to why I can't play the game today. Also, I thought your problem with MKWii was the item spam, not the game's engine. At least try to be consistent with your digs at me. :P
Mario Kart 64 had bad control ten years ago and has gotten even worse with age. Play other N64 racing games like Rush, F-Zero, or hell, even Diddy Kong Racing, and you'll see that even they control more smoothly.

Deleted User
Deleted User

6:07 PM - Aug 09, 2008 #1105

Mop_it_up wrote:If the Wii Wheel were the only control option available then you might have a point. Switch to even the Wiimote + Nunchuk and you have something great.
I wouldn't go that far. You have something that works, but there's nothing about the controls that really scream out out greatness to me. Maybe I need to play it more.
Mop_it_up wrote:Also, I thought your problem with MKWii was the item spam, not the game's engine. At least try to be consistent with your digs at me.
I have no problem with the engine but my point is that I don't see a massive improvement in controls from Mario Kart 64 to Mario Kart Wii. Obviously Mario Kart Wii looks better, has more players and options but I can't say I prefer it to Mario Kart 64.

And I've played Mario Kart 64 a lot. I've also played F-Zero X and Diddy Kong Racing a lot. I don't think any of the games metioned control more smoothly but that may be because I feel very much at ease with Mario Kart 64... because I've played it so much.

dagoss
Elite

7:50 PM - Aug 09, 2008 #1106

I'm not sure what you mean by the controls not being smooth. The only thing not smooth is the N64's control stick; but I never found even that to be a major hindrance. Have you tried not sucking? That might be the problem.

Mop it up
Guardian

4:51 PM - Aug 10, 2008 #1107

alxbly wrote: You have something that works, but there's nothing about the controls that really scream out greatness to me.
The Wiimote + Nunchuk is great because "non-gamers" can pick it up and instantly do well at the game; everyone I know who's tried it performed better than with the wheel ("non-gamers" don't like the Wii Wheel! Nintendo's in trouble!). As for myself though, I need the GameCube controller because that's what I'm used to.
wrote:I don't see a massive improvement in controls from Mario Kart 64 to Mario Kart Wii.
The reason for this is likely because you have no problems with Mario Kart 64's control to begin with. As someone who never liked the controls, the improvements made in MKWii are the difference between shutting the game off in disgust and an hour-long play session. Super Mario Kart controls similarly to MK64, so I'm wondering if they were trying to capture the classic feel of SMK.
wrote:Maybe I need to play [MKWii] more.
Yes! Definitely! Just keep an open mind, forget every other Mario Kart exists, try to accept it for what it is rather than dismiss it for what it isn't. Use the 1-player modes as practice, unlock your favourite characters and vehicles (check GameFAQs for the ones you want), and you'll be making others cry on Wi-Fi in no time! Try out various character/vehicle combos and see what works! Challenge yourself by using a crappy vehicle on automatic! The possibilities are endless! ENDLESS!!!

...Sorry about that. Sometimes I get a little over-excited about Mario Kart Wii because it is my current favourite game... :-8
wrote:Have you tried not sucking? That might be the problem.
I don't suck at Mario Kart 64, I still blasted through all the cups on Extra last I played (Toad still kicks :donkey: in MK64, lightweights got shafted in MKWii :( ). I've gotten used to the control but that doesn't mean I like it. Maybe I should try playing the game with the Hori Pad Mini.

xXxCreamSodaxXx
Established Member
xXxCreamSodaxXx
Established Member

10:02 PM - Aug 10, 2008 #1108

Finally picked up a couple of N64 games the other day

-WWF No Mercy(cart) $8 Finally! I've heard great things about this game, and so far I'm not dissapointed.

-Conkers Bad Fur Day(cart) $10 for someone who is as big of an N64 fan as myself, it's hard to belive that I never picked this one up sooner. Last summer I was trying to search for the game, and I ended up borrowing a copy from a friend. Which ended my search for the game, then I finally found it at a good price. :)

I need to buy more complete games...

xXxCreamSodaxXx
Established Member
xXxCreamSodaxXx
Established Member

10:19 PM - Aug 10, 2008 #1109

Nothing wrong with trimming the fat off of your collection.

I plan to do this soon as well(not with the N64, but my other consoles). The strange thing with me is I just have to play every N64 game(even if it's total crap).

A gamer is always better off selling the games he/she has no interest in, and then using the cash to buy something fresh and interesting instead. Also alot of the people I know that just randomly buy up all the gaming stuff they can get, end up being burned out on the hobby altogether.

I would rather have a small collection of games I enjoy, then a large collection of games I have no intention of playing.

Irene(Hydronix)
Irene(Hydronix)

1:55 AM - Aug 11, 2008 #1110

I just picked up Doom 64. w00t! That's pretty much it.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.