ddr2nite
Veteran

May 14th, 2013, 4:06 pm #41

clarky_n64 wrote:This proves that patience does actually pay off in the end :)
You guys want to know the most ironic/interesting part of the story? When this one showed up, there was also another auction that also had it. So all of a sudden, 2 of them appeared! It was good because it gave me a backup plan in case I didn't win the first one (which I did).
Click here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

Phantom
Veteran

May 14th, 2013, 5:10 pm #42

That metallic black one looks really awesome.

Congratulations on the Complete set ddr :yeah:

YogurtStorm
Veteran

May 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm #43

Good for you DDR2 :)

Isn't it just great when you really want something and then more than one pop up!? Eitherway, I hope you learn that there is another type of ASCII controller so you'll have another sneaky variant to track down :yeah:

ddr2nite
Veteran

May 14th, 2013, 5:40 pm #44

YogurtStorm wrote:I hope you learn that there is another type of ASCII controller so you'll have another sneaky variant to track down :yeah:
I'm both scared and excited at the same time that there might be at least 1 more color out there... 13 is a really odd number and doesn't make sense to me. That's just my theory, and I've tried contacting ASCII in the past about this subject (how many different ones were released) but they never got back to me -_-

" - MK II

flmadness
flmadness

May 14th, 2013, 6:04 pm #45

thats awesome!! congrats!!!

Cabanon
Elite

May 15th, 2013, 11:38 am #46

very happy for you Glen. im slowly acquiring them, 1 by 1 with a set price in mind. I will not go higher than that cuz im cheap and I dont see much value in them. Boxed is a different price but the 1st one I acuired was boxed and :cussfit: cheap ! lol

if you see anything cheaper enough over YAJ, lemme know, i might bit the dust and buy some.

macN64
macN64

June 4th, 2013, 6:09 pm #47

I was window shopping around Yahoo Japan and came across this page for what I'm pretty sure is a "mauve" coloured ASCII controller:
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w86240753

I noticed that the plug of this controller is red/pink (see the top left of the third image), whereas the mauve controller that ddr2nite owns has a blue plug. This would seem to go against an assertion made earlier in this topic:
ddr2nite wrote:Second, from all of the pictures that I have seen of the ASCII controllers on website and auction pages, the color of the plugs stay consistent with the controller - that means a Silver ASCII controller will always have a blue plug and never a red/pink.
ddr2nite wrote:Here is a list of the controllers and what color plugs they have:
Blue:
- Silver
- Mauve
- Black
- Clear Blue
- Clear Black
- Blue Marble

Red/Pink:
- Gold
- Clear Red
- Clear White
- Red Marble
- White
I'm just flagging this up in case it's a new discovery. :unsure:

ddr2nite
Veteran

June 4th, 2013, 8:02 pm #48

Hmm that's interesting macN64. I've already seen that listing on Yahoo for that same controller you posted - and I know that the seller also has another clear red/pink one for sale. The clear red/pink has a red plug - perhaps that's the plug that shows up in the photo? Maybe it got crossed up when he was taking the picture? You can't say for 100% certainty that the plug you see on the Mauve controller photo actually belongs to it (but it might). I'm still pretty certain that all plugs stay consistent with the controller colors, but then again you never know unless you have the controller in front of you. All ASCII controller colors I've come across up to this point in my collecting has stayed consistent.

" - MK II

bluedogrulez
Guardian

June 4th, 2013, 9:50 pm #49

@ddr2nite: before torturing yourself over whether to buy this on the off-chance a variant exists, please consider the possibility that someone switched out the original shell or the board to create a Mauve/Red plug combo. I know you are probably three steps ahead of me here, but as White Goodman might say, now you know I know what you know.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

ddr2nite
Veteran

June 4th, 2013, 10:12 pm #50

LOL I love the Dodgeball reference! I prefer to think of myself as a "take the bull by the horns" kind of guy :P

Nah, I'm not even blinking twice at this. If it was a discussion of a different color altogether of the controller itself, I might consider buying it. But the plug? As you pointed out bluedog, it could very well have a possibility of a Frankenstein-switch of the guts*.

*As a side note, I've taken apart an ASCII controller for the sake of cleaning it, and trust me - it has about TWICE the parts of a regular N64 controller because of all the turbo switches. It even has an extra mini-board that controls the turbo logic inside. It took me a couple times to figure out the right process to disassemble and then properly reassemble the whole thing. It's not easy, and can get very confusing.

" - MK II