Mario Artist (All 4)

bluedogrulez
Guardian

7:37 PM - Jan 13, 2015 #1

Let's start the discussion regarding these N64DD games with a review by negativo (of N64DD.net).
Mario Artist: Communication Kit

This title allows you to import and export data again from all the Mario Artist titles AND the Randnet service. On-line data exchanging and the ability to use your own-created character in a virtual community much like the Super Famicom BS-X cartridge: but instead of being 2d only it gets a full 3d environment on which move and meet people. It takes advantage of the Modem cartridge.
Mario Artist: Paint Studio

This title features a pretty feature-rich but fairly easy Photoshop-like program. Among the clipart there are Rare, Nintendo and Pokemon characters. It allows the use of the Mouse and the Capture Cassette to import still pictures from a video camera. You can't imagine how fast the dedicated program to capture image starts. With only a 100mhz mips cpu and a few megs of ram I can assure you many expensive video capture / editing cards for personal computers are only half as fast and easy to use. Among the other features there's the ability to import / export data among other 64 DD softwares (for example the other Mario Artist disks and Simcity 64) and a nice safari-like game in which you can take pics of Dinosaurs. This small game takes advantage of the 64 DD clock to change the sun settings and behaviour of the Dinosaurs.
Mario Artist: Polygon Studio

Again an impossible-to-believe easy program to create custom 3d models, importing / exporting data from the other Mario Artist studios. It pushes the Nintendo 64 to its limits: immediate scaling, morphing, smoothing and other complex effects in no time. You could also bring the disk in an authorized Nintendo point and make someone print you your model "flat", just what you need to build yourself a 3d one with paper! Words cannot describe this feature, it has to be seen. I don't know if a personal printer was planned, but is very likely.
Mario Artist: Talent Studio

This program allows you to create 3d characters with modified and unique attributes. Again it uses a simple but powerful interface that allows you to make parodies of yourself just by importing a face from the capture cassette or pics from Mario Artist: Paint Studio. You won't believe how easy is to transform attibutes like hair, eyes, ears and nose with a few simple commands. The model you build can be made moving by a silly Karaoke-like game... If that is not enough, you can even export 3d models into Mario Artist: Polygon Studio.
Reprinted with permission from:

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

No64DD
Elite

5:38 PM - Jan 15, 2015 #2

To this day these games remind me of the magnificent time in video game lore when great, independant ideas for the 64DD made it through!
With the Communication Disk you were able to share ideas/creations from ALL other 3 disks to every other Randnet subscriber.

Mario Artist: Talent Studio also allowed you to shoot camcorder video and upload it- similar to what YouTube™ does today!

As per each subscription package, you could also send 2D creations made in Polygon Studio directly to Randnet, who then printed and mailed you a DIY 3D model.

They also did the "sticker" thing- from Paint Studio,Communication, to Randnet, printed and mailed back to (member Randnet)

i'd like to speculate that their printer would be a distant cousin of the NT-300 printer used in the Pokemon Snapstation...
what i wouldn't do for access to some of that hardware;
[+] Spoiler
Drool!!
A Secret star
lie here~

No64DD
Elite

9:50 PM - Jul 28, 2016 #3

Today i encountered an interesting conversation happening on Twitter between Luigiblood(a well known figure on Assemblergames.com and various hacking projects), and one of the programmers and code writers for Mario Artist: Paint Studio!
Not only that, he also programmed Mario Artist: Sound Maker- a well designed audio tool that was in development for the Mario Artist series.

I was fortunate enough to join in this bull session and it was quite an experience for a true 64DD fan.

Twitter

There is a lot to read. Enjoy! :n64:
A Secret star
lie here~

Cabanon
Elite

2:22 AM - Jul 29, 2016 #4

saw the conversation too, a very cool read.

No64DD
Elite

4:12 AM - Jul 29, 2016 #5

Up to this point in that conversation, i gathered that Amir could not anticipate the outcome of the final product even from his own amount of work put into it, nearly 20 years later!

To see his name scroll up on my TV as i talk to him on social media is going to be one of those moments i won't soon forget. Incredible.
A Secret star
lie here~