Mario 64

stinger9142
Guardian

January 4th, 2016, 6:41 pm #1

What better game to mark the 5th anniversary of Game of the Month than the one that kicked started the 64 we all love? Mario 64 was my first experience with the Nintendo 64. I am sure that can be said for a lot of us here. It changed the way I saw gaming. Less than two months after playing it, I had my own N64 and a copy of Mario. The N64 helped define my high school years. Ultimately a game on the N64 (Perfect Dark) led me to meeting my wife of 14 years now. So aside from being an amazing game, I owe it a debt of gratitude for the road it helped me go down :lol:

I still go back and play it a few times a year. My daughter likes to watch me play, and she likes to run around the castle courtyard. The gameplay was revolutionary, the graphics were amazing at the time, and the music is timelessly great! Though I never got the last star needed to get 100% on the game (dang flying around for 8 red coins level :lol: ) I have repeatedly played through and beat the game a number of times.

I suspect that I will still be playing it from time to time in the years to come :)

kartmaster
Veteran

January 5th, 2016, 2:42 am #2

The N64 will be 20 years old this year. Seems quite fitting for this to be our winner.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

January 5th, 2016, 5:24 am #3

Yes! Super Mario 64 has finally become N64Forever's GotM! :w00t:

Like a lot of you here, Super Mario 64 was my first N64 game. It also happens to be, from what I can remember, the very first game I had ever beaten in my entire life. I remember being so happy when I finally got that tricky Bowser and his collapsing floor. I called for my parents and had them sit down with my brother and I as Mario flew out of the sky world and got his nose pecked by Princess Peach. I'm sure they weren't too keen about being pulled away from whatever they were doing to watch a video game ending, but they at least feigned happiness for me until that delicious cake popped up on the screen. What's funny is that my brother and I thought beating the game would finally unlock that cannon outside of the castle. Of course, I know now that's not how it's done. :lol:

The Rareware 3d platformers may have had better graphics, a grander story and more things to collect in them, but I always feel like I can't really play them unless I plan on beating the games from start to finish. Heck, I haven't even beaten DK64 yet because I got too overwhelmed with the collectables. SM64, however, is something I always have fun with just by booting up the game, jumping into a painting and doing whatever missions I feel like doing. For the wonderful memories it gave me as my first true 3d game (unless Sonic 3d Blast counts :/ ) and for it's easy replayability, Super Mario 64 will forever be my favorite N64 game. Here's to you, Mario. :yeah:

stinger9142
Guardian

January 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm #4

My daughter loves the cannon in the courtyard. Thankfully their was a copy of Mario 64 on our Wii when it was given to us. My wife's brother had gotten all 120 stars on one of the saves on it. That is usually the one she plays on :yeah:

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 10th, 2016, 3:37 am #5

I lasted played through Mario 64 about 5 years ago.
Was great.

Was my first game, so many good times.
I do remember being stuck on 119 stars for nearly 6 months though!
Could not work it out, tried all sorts of things.
Finally was told that it might be the Princess Secret Slide in a faster time (never thought to do it faster!)

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

January 10th, 2016, 6:00 am #6

D.J Cat wrote:I lasted played through Mario 64 about 5 years ago.
Was great.

Was my first game, so many good times.
I do remember being stuck on 119 stars for nearly 6 months though!
Could not work it out, tried all sorts of things.
Finally was told that it might be the Princess Secret Slide in a faster time (never thought to do it faster!)
I played this for the first time in over ten years and I'm at 111 stars and am missing my cap. I for the life of me can't figure out where the cap is lol.

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 11th, 2016, 12:22 am #7

Which cap?

Potential spoilers I guess:
[+] Spoiler
Flying Cap is in the enterance room of the castle.
You stand on the star and look up at the ceiling.. not sure if I would have worked that out back in the day...
Invisible Cap is outside the castle near the waterfall, you need to drain the water in the basement near the entrance to Hazy Maze Cave.
Speaking of Hazy Maze Cave, the Metal Cap is in a room past The underwater lake.
Use Nessie to get close and jump up there ?

sublime1996525
sublime1996525

January 11th, 2016, 3:11 am #8

D.J Cat wrote:Which cap?

[+] Spoiler
You stand on the star and look up at the ceiling.. not sure if I would have worked that out back in the day...
Invisible Cap is outside the castle near the waterfall, you need to drain the water in the basement near the entrance to Hazy Maze Cave.
Speaking of Hazy Maze Cave, the Metal Cap is in a room past The underwater lake.
My regular cap

D.J Cat
Veteran

January 11th, 2016, 9:22 am #9

sublime1996525 wrote:

[+] Spoiler
My regular cap

Ah yes, the Monkey stole it!

You have to chase him and grab hold of him and he should give it back.

The vulture in :pottymouth: Sand Land also likes to nick your hat.
It's not a deal breaker but you do take double damage.

EnvyFox
EnvyFox

January 11th, 2016, 7:39 pm #10

D.J Cat wrote:
sublime1996525 wrote:

[+] Spoiler
My regular cap

Ah yes, the Monkey stole it!

You have to chase him and grab hold of him and he should give it back.

The vulture in :pottymouth: Sand Land also likes to nick your hat.
It's not a deal breaker but you do take double damage.
To add to this, I believe Mr. Blizzard (the giant snowman) in Snow Man's Land can blow your hat (as well as you) off of the bridge. You always land somewhere near it, though, so getting it back there shouldn't be difficult at all.