Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

April 17th, 2007, 2:04 pm #1

The enormous scope and epic feel of the game is unmatched by anything I've ever played, and playing it again and again never seems to get old. It's as good today as it was in November of '98 when it came out. Does anyone else feel this way about it?

Mop it up
Guardian

April 17th, 2007, 6:29 pm #2

Yeah... Sure... OoT is still good. Great even. You might even call it perfect... but I wouldn't! I want to, but I can't! Why? Because there is one thing about OoT that's always bothered me. When Link has the Giant's Knife, he holds it with two hands, which is supposedly the reason why you can't use the shield. But when you press the R button, Link crouches down and holds the sword with ONE HAND! Would it have really been so hard for Nintendo to have programmed in an animation in which he crouches while still holding the sword with two hands? It would make not being able to use the shield a lot more believable. Zelda is supposed to be the game that has no flaws. It must be great if this is all I can think of to criticize the game for, but this is also the only thing preventing me from calling it a perfectly created work of art that overlooked no detail too small.

dagoss
Elite

April 17th, 2007, 8:50 pm #3

It isn't a very long game. Camera controls are lacking. Replay value isn't that high since you'll see everything except a few fetching side-quest your first time. It is extremely easy. I find the story rather irritating. I wouldn't say it is flawless...

stinger9142
Guardian

April 17th, 2007, 9:30 pm #4

it isn't that long?

i spent 60+ hours on the main story and some side missions with a guide.
i have read where it took people 100 hours to beat it 100%. that is a VERY long game to me.

anyhow, i love ocarina of time. to this day it puzzles me why i didn't get majoras mask to. i still plan on getting it sometime though. oot is one of my top 10 games of all time :D

April 17th, 2007, 10:10 pm #5

stinger9142 wrote:anyhow, i love ocarina of time. to this day it puzzles me why i didn't get majoras mask to.
Yeah, I didn't get Majora's Mask until about a year and a half or two years ago, despite loving OoT so much. It was a good purchase, though. ^_^

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 17th, 2007, 10:12 pm #6

Mop_it_up wrote:When Link has the Giant's Knife, he holds it with two hands, which is supposedly the reason why you can't use the shield. But when you press the R button, Link crouches down and holds the sword with ONE HAND!
Perhaps he can hold it with one hand, but just isn't stong enough to make full swings with one hand. So for full swings of the sword he uses two hands. There you go, Nintendo did think about it after all... :-/ :unsure:
dagoss wrote: It isn't a very long game. Camera controls are lacking. Replay value isn't that high since you'll see everything except a few fetching side-quest your first time. It is extremely easy. I find the story rather irritating. I wouldn't say it is flawless...
I don't know that I'd count OoT as a :pottymouth: game... but since you're such an aviod RPG fan, Dave, I expect anything under 200 hours probably leaves you feeling :pottymouth:-changed. ^_^

The games diffficulty can be whatever you'd like, simply don't pick up the heart containers. Some people play through with only three hearts... which I would imagine is quite difficult. Take the three heart challenge Mr Goss... or you could spend your time trying to remember poetry, you big girl!!! :blink:

dagoss
Elite

April 17th, 2007, 10:27 pm #7

200 hours? That's all? You call that an RPG? Pah! I laugh in your general direction!

Deleted User
Deleted User

April 17th, 2007, 10:41 pm #8

*feels n00bified*

:(

:P

Okay people, what was your favorite dungeon in OoT?

Mop it up
Guardian

April 17th, 2007, 10:50 pm #9

alxbly wrote:
Mop_it_up wrote:When Link has the Giant's Knife, he holds it with two hands, which is supposedly the reason why you can't use the shield. But when you press the R button, Link crouches down and holds the sword with ONE HAND!
Perhaps he can hold it with one hand, but just isn't strong enough to make full swings with one hand. So for full swings of the sword he uses two hands. There you go, Nintendo did think about it after all... :-/ :unsure:
Well, if he can hold it with one hand, he should be able to pull his shield out with his other hand while crouching. He can jab the sword forward with one hand too, so why can't he hold the shield in his other hand?

April 17th, 2007, 10:54 pm #10

alxbly wrote: Okay people, what was your favorite dungeon in OoT?
The Forest Temple. It was so atmospheric.